Recommend me a new acoustic guitar

What's Hot
LodiousLodious Frets: 1942

I'm currently playing a Martin D16-GT. I really like the sound of it, but the neck profile is just too skinny, and I'm finding it less and less comfortable as I get older. Has anybody got and recommendations for something to replace it with which has a similar tone, but a fatter neck?

I have owned a Taylor 410 in the past, and hated the sound (too bright). I have also tried Lowden's, which again seemed very bright, and I didn't like. I prefer the mellower tones which Martins have. , so I'm probably not too picky about little details. I play with 12's, if that makes any difference.

Budget wise, probably about a grand, and quite happy to buy s/h. Could probably stretch to a little more, but I'm not a great acoustic player, so it's probably overkill.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Have you tried Gibsons? 

My personal favourite is the J-45. It has a lovely balanced sound across the range. The neck is very comfortable too. 

2nd hand could be in your budget. Of course the looks might not be to your tastes. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    There's a lovely Larrivee in the classifieds at the moment which I'm lusting after...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Some of the higher end Martins in the Vintage series have big necks like the old ones they are modelled after.  If you could find the extra money to get one then they are stunning.

Stonebridge/Furch (I believe they have changed back to the Furch name now) make Martin style guitars that are very high quality, but without the Martin price tag.  The ones I've played haven't had huge necks though - they are not really skinny but they haven't been big.

I don't know if you could find a second hand one from a British maker.  I've played Atkin and Moon guitars that were stunning.  You might find one second hand close to your budget.  Avoid Brook though - their necks are very shallow.

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 796
    edited April 2014
    Skarloey said:
    Have you tried Gibsons? 

My personal favourite is the J-45. It has a lovely balanced sound across the range. The neck is very comfortable too. 

2nd hand could be in your budget. Of course the looks might not be to your tastes. 
    Was just thinking the same as I read this. The J-45 definitely can't be accused of being overly bright - it's very mid focused (bear in mind that there's also less low end than square shouldered dreads such as the D16-GT). Both strumming and fingerpicking are definitely on the mellow, middy side of things. Since I've had mine I've spent quite a lot of time trying different plectrum thicknesses/materials and different fingernail lengths if I need a little bit more definition.

I also find the neck extremely comfortable, though I wouldn't say it's got a fat neck. Definitely quite an easy action compared to most other acoustics I've played. 

I've not played the D16-GT so couldn't say how it compares. 

I'd have thought £1000-1100 would get you a second hand one - they do seem to vary a fair bit cosmetically, tonally and in terms of build so definitely try a few. Mine for instance has virtually no sunburst at all - it just looks like they were trying to spray it flat black and ran out of paint! I also suspect the finish on mine is on the thick side - it's starting to thin out in the usual points of contact now though.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    The new Gibson J15?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

Try Larrivees, you can get some really nice ones for £1k or so

Get to frailers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I had honestly never thought of Gibson, sounds like a good suggestion. I've have never really played one of their acoustics, sounds like I need too. I do like the appearance of them though. Is Frailers a good shop for acoustics? I used to go there years ago, and their selection of electrics was never great, and I was never really into acoustic guitars. Always a pleasure to visit Runcorn though :-) Are Larrivees bright? I always assumed they were similar to Taylors (probably not for any good reason though)
    edited April 2014

Frailers have the best selection of used acoustics in the whole UK AFAIK

Larrivee do dark and bright guitars

I hated my 314ce, but kept my Larrivees - nicer than Taylors I think, and even kept my SD60 Larrivee when I went up market 

Their stocklist is all online

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    crunchman said:
    Some of the higher end Martins in the Vintage series have big necks like the old ones they are modelled after.  If you could find the extra money to get one then they are stunning.

Try the D18V or D28V. I have an OM 18V and the neck is a large soft V shape. Try before you buy though as some people don't get on with these necks. As Crunchman says they are excellent guitars.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I think it's HD28V rather than D28V unless they have changed their range.  If you want a smaller body the OOO28EC is really good if you can put up with the signature inlay on the 12th fret, and the fake tan colour.  That has a bigger neck than the HD28V as well.

I'd echo the try before you buy though.  Some of them are better than others.  I've never played a bad one, but it can be the difference between "This is a really good guitar" and "This is the best acoustic I've ever played"
    Frailers have plenty of used Martins usually as well (and Gibsons, etc)
    Thanks for all the suggestions :-). There is a shop in Nottingham (Dave Mann music) which looks like a pretty good acoustic guitar shop, I might stop by once Easter is out the way. They also have a tech who works with the shop so I could take mine down to see if the setup could be improved (I don't think by much though, it's been done once and I think it's pretty close to as good as it's gonna get.).
    Lodious said:
    Thanks for all the suggestions :-). There is a shop in Nottingham (Dave Mann music) which looks like a pretty good acoustic guitar shop, I might stop by once Easter is out the way. They also have a tech who works with the shop so I could take mine down to see if the setup could be improved (I don't think by much though, it's been done once and I think it's pretty close to as good as it's gonna get.).

Sounds like a good start

bear in mind the sheer number of used guitars at Frailers means you can save a couple of years worth of going to other shops, they must have 100 or so used guitars I reckon: http://www.frailers.com/scripts/pricelist.asp

Another place to take a day trip to is:  in Brighton: http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/guitar-luithers.html

He has about 50-100 absolute top notch guitars in stock - mostly new, typically costing £3k-£6k, so no good for your current budget but well worth a trip to be able to make future plans

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I'm enjoying my Gibson songwriter deluxe ec but I'd recommend you try some Guilds as well if you can.

That's interesting, I tried a Guild about 20 years ago (coincidently in Frailers) and really liked it. They appear to have dropped of the map a little bit, are they still building decent guitars? 

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    They still build great guitars.  I've tried a few and I'd even recommend there Chinese GAD range but your after something a bit higher end.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Coincidentaly, I also owned a Taylor 410 and was less than enamoured with it, not really impressed by Taylors full stop - no subtlety. In the price range you are talking about, Larrivees all the way, even their less expensive models are way better than anything else in the price range. I have three of them now, albeit higher end models. If you can fins an OM09 second hand, it might get it for £1K. Widish neck and as an orchestra model, a good all rounder
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 256
    I went down a similar route recently, sold my taylor mini as it cramped by left hand after about 10 mins playing, tried a '58 gibson lg1 in vintage & rare, bath, felt perfect with a nice chubby neck, they also had a 60's model which was nowhere near as nice, however I was worried about how fragile a 50 year old guitar might be & walked away. Next step was to visit every guitar shop that I passed in the westcountry & played instruments new & s/h with values from £200 up to £5k only to discover that since the 60's to the present most necks are the slimmer variety, finally picked up a martin 000-28ec & couldn't put it down,also tried a std 000-28 which is a very different guitar,  went back a week later,tried it again & it still felt perfect,four months later I still play it every day, before I go to work & when I get back in the evening. Remember you're playing the guitar not the signature inlay, the v neck might not suit you but keep looking & playing until you find the holy grail, best of luck in your quest, mike b.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Forget to mention Takamine. 

Very, very comfortable necks on those. 
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    lowden too bright? did you play a koa or maple one? ive had loads of em and bright wouldn't be how id describe them, anyway im with crunchman here,furch/Stanford are exceptional,although they are very lightly braced so you've got to be pretty careful with them. at higher price range id recommend small martin. 00028 or mcilroys(although if your not a fan of lowden you may not like these either....)