how can you choose with so many conflicting reviews .......

What's Hot
Jimbo55Jimbo55 Frets: 7

….I know that it often comes down to taste and sound ...and price of course, but …

Getting old and just returning to guitaring, got an old Fender twin in the corner gathering dust but it's too heavy to carry around anymore so it will remain as a beautiful ornament ! Looking for a not too heavy (say 20kg max) amp 40/50/60W, preferably 12" speaker but 10", will do to use at home and small gigging - it would be nice to have a second-hand bit battered one good all rounder as it will get kicked a bit and bounce about in the car.

Started to focus in on a Vox Valvetronix VT40+ or a Boss Katana 50, seeing a few 2nd hand, from some youtube comparisons and elsewhere but as soon as I warm to something then bang, some rubbish reviews appear - same with anything I want to buy these days !

I know I'm asking the same question as many before here but maybe a few comments on the above or any other suitable alternative would be much appreciated, and I will make a decision within 24 hours !!!!  Not looking for the purest sound, but something rugged and maybe under £200 (maybe even under £100) second-hand, with street cred too !   Many thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Confirmation bias?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    If you’re just playing at home, a Fender Mustang modelling amp does the Fender sounds well, and can be picked up reasonably cheap used. I recommend the Mustang III V2. 12” speaker, but sounds good at low and band practice levels. 
    Not too heavy, good variety of tones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Go try them! 

I'd say Katana every time though for that budget.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Go try them! 

Katana 100 if you can stretch to it. You can rehearse and gig with it as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Sessionette
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    You can use the reviews to make a short list - after that you need to try them out, with your guitar.  If you've got a Fender Twin already, then good as the new modellers are, you are setting a very high benchmark to compare anything to, certainly as far as a great clean sound is concerned.  As well as portability a modern amp will give you more sonic options as sensible volume, but you still may not be happy if you're comparing it to the clean sound of your Twin.

You could offer a trade on your Twin for a newer amp perhaps?  They are still worth quite a bit, but there is a smaller market for them these days, due to the weight mostly.

One thing that might be useful though, if you do get an newer modelling type amp, is the headphone output.  If you ever get pressure from family or neighbours to keep the volume down, then an amp with a really good headphone sound will be a massive advantage.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16005
    Helix stomp into the twin loop
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    +1 for the Katana.

Also, what about the Orange Crush Pro CR60C? Well built and a used one would be about the right price. 

If you like Fender type sounds then the Champion does pretty decent modelling of those sparkly Fendery cleans and is cheap as chips. 

It's odd with gear reviews though - if you're like me you'll read a hundred good reviews and then be put off by one or two bad ones (which, if you think about it, is ridiculous). There will always be someone with an axe to grind or whose expectations aren't the same as yours. (It's even worse with TripAdvisor hotel and restaurant reviews!) Go and try a few and see what you like.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Go try them! 

Katana 100 if you can stretch to it. You can rehearse and gig with it as well.
    You can rehearse and gig with the 50w as well, in fact in small jam rooms the 25w mode on the 50w is rather useful.

For those with a real passion for the Katana there is also the "Artist" for a cool £470.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Reviews online are nearly as much of a minefield as YouTube comments... I try and find some stuff I like the look of first, then have a listen on YouTube if I can, then try some stuff out. I try and avoid the reviews if I can
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I think this is why the Fretboard is so useful/dangerous.

There is such an opportunity to pick up fairly priced used gear on here that you can often pick up something to try and if it's not for you lob it back out at minimal loss. I used to analyse reviews and demo vids of gear, now I get something used on here and give it a proper test myself.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Reviews online are nearly as much of a minefield as YouTube comments... I try and find some stuff I like the look of first, then have a listen on YouTube if I can, then try some stuff out. I try and avoid the reviews if I can
    YouTube comments are just packed with people trying to defend their purchase more often than not, especially when it comes to comparisons of modellers. There's nothing quite like the comment section of a Helix vs Kemper vs Axe FX vs GT video =) "The Helix makes the rest sound like toys!" "Are you crazy? The Axe FX8 has such a good sound, and it can do SOOO much more (check out my channel!11!!!" "Pfft, the Kemper is a REAL clone of a REAL Bassman. All the rest are imitations, and you can hear it in the sound."
  • PV Classic 30  :+1: 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    The only way you can determine if an amp is what you want is to play your guitar through it.  Some will be fine, others won't.  You can't seriously expect an MP3 'music' file to tell you how it sounds, it's dynamics, background noise level etc.  Plug in and try it.  Far too many people want someone to tell them that this product is exactly what they want.  And internet forum approval is not enough reason to buy anything.  And if you audition an amp in a bricks and mortar shop, if you like it, buy it from that shop.  It may cost you a few quid extra -v- online price, but in a year or two you won't even remember how much you paid for the amp.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    Rocker said:
    And if you audition an amp in a bricks and mortar shop, if you like it, buy it from that shop.  It may cost you a few quid extra -v- online price, but in a year or two you won't even remember how much you paid for the amp.
    If I could give more than one Wis...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Really appreciate all the great comments and advice - absolutely right that even when 100+ reviews you get a bit unbalanced by the odd one or two Mr Grumpeys !  My local scruffy fish'n'chip shop seems to have a (home made ???) trip advisor 5 star commendation ...somehow ! I think I will pop into my local guitar store (with my favourite guitar, not saying so no comments on that !) and plug into a few amps starting with the Boss Katana 50/100 and Fender Mustang III, and see if they have any Peaveys/Oranges for comparison too, and to try hard to stay within budget.  Also feel now, I must dust the valves in my ten ton weight Fender Twin before firing that up for first time in 20(!) years, wait until the neighbours are out, and remind myself what that sounds like.  It doesn't have a headphone socket, and when I said that to someone many years ago they rightfully replied 'bonkers, why the hell have you got an amp like that to be even thinking of putting head cans on'.  I've not ever got involved with interfacing amps with computers before, but must get used to this new world as it seems has to be now ….

Anyway, many thanks all - great to be part of this supportive community !  Happy twanging ….

• For me I have to like the sound that will ultimately compel me to purchase. Butvon tbe check list will be the features it has. Stuff like power scaling / half power switch. Any outputs, boosts etc. I whittle all the reviews down but finally as said I'd try one and hear how it sounds in the flesh :) 

This process however can take a very long time before I'm sure. Much to the annoyance to some of the builders I've spoken to in the past ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Sorry for delay but thought I'd post an update on what I decided ….since my last post I collapsed with severe pneumonia and was hospitalised for a week but now nearly back to full strength. I went to a music store twice with a friend and tried out pretty much all the recommendations received ….and settled on the Boss Katana 100 as a good home/gigging amp. All the amps sounded good and I guess down to personal feel in the end - we'll see how it goes but so far very pleased and have in fact used it already at a proper studio rehearsal and a live gig, and it's not too heaver - got a good cover for it which protects it from scuffing while moving as well as the inevitable dust.  Still have the mighty old Fender Twin which I must fire up again (after 20years no-use) but too heavy to carry about.  Might sell eventually but like guitars, nice to have around !! Thanks everyone for help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    edited January 2019
    Jimbo55 said:

Still have the mighty old Fender Twin which I must fire up again (after 20years no-use) but too heavy to carry about.  Might sell eventually but like guitars, nice to have around !!
    If it literally hasn't been turned on for twenty years, don't just fire up the Twin again - you need to be careful, they can blow filter caps if they've degraded, which they do over time - in fact, non-use is much worse for them than use. Valves are the other way round and should be fine, although very occasionally they can crack and leak - easy to spot, the silvered top of the valve goes white.

If you don't fancy carrying it anywhere, see if you can find a tech or someone who knows what they're doing who owns a Variac and can come around and power it up for you under controlled conditions - that will very often save filter caps which might otherwise have failed on the initial power-up, as well as being able to spot any other problems before they cause damage. It will then be safe to use regularly.

But it is worth getting it going again, they sound fabulous at low volume as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Many thanks ICBM - you have inspired me now to get the mighty Twin sorted - I had been a bit concerned about even switching it on with the inevitable dust on the hot valves but will now follow your advice and get it checked properly !