Helix USB too hot!

timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
So since the latest update, the USB seems to have bumped up its output.

I can't find a way to reduce it down, unless i use a volume/eq block but i'd rather not use DSP just to correct the level.

Its gone from being about -5.5 to - 7.0, to now being -0.5 tp +1.5. Its obviously clipping which isn't particularly nice when recording!

I'm using Logic on a macbook, anyone else experiencing the same?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    I thought there was a global setting for usb level or did I imagine that? If I didn't, maybe it got messed up in the update 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Hmm Google suggests I may be imagining it 
    Red ones are better. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I can’t find a global for it! It’s a bit of a pain!! 
  • TimmyO said:
    I thought there was a global setting for usb level or did I imagine that? If I didn't, maybe it got messed up in the update 
    There is a Global USB level but it’s for the USB input and not the output.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1949
    I don't understand how this could happen. The signal is digital so the maximum level is set by the number of "bits" that are "on" e.g max level for a 16 bit signal = 1111111111111111. Digital signals don't introduce clipping, they simply convey the analogue input in a digital format. Any clipping must therefore be happening once converted back into analogue ? Either that or there is some other mismatch with the decoding / clocking of the incoming data?
  • exocet said:
    I don't understand how this could happen. The signal is digital so the maximum level is set by the number of "bits" that are "on" e.g max level for a 16 bit signal = 1111111111111111. Digital signals don't introduce clipping, they simply convey the analogue input in a digital format. Any clipping must therefore be happening once converted back into analogue ? Either that or there is some other mismatch with the decoding / clocking of the incoming data?
    Me neither. If the analogue signal being sent into an audio interface is too high, then the AD converter will clip. Audio interfaces with an analogue level control let you control the level you supply to the conversion process. The USB feed into the Mac is presumably digital and using the Helix as the audio interface, yes? So the clipping has already happened somewhere in the signal chain within the Helix. 

Has the update changed one of the global input level parameters that you never touch, perhaps? 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1592
    There are ways to set both record and play levels in Windows Audio. Don't see why a mac should be different? What is the soundcard called? Windows is either Realtek or "High Deffinition" . Do macs have the equivalent of Device Manger?

Dave.