Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the best cheap flanger?

What's Hot
EggmanEggman Frets: 43
Hello. =) I'm aware that I am mostly asking GAS related questions but...
What is the best flanger under about £60 new? I am always open to buying used stuff too, so any suggestions are helpful. I am looking for a classic flanger sound, nothing too fancy or complicated.
Also, it needs to be fairly small; no larger than a standard Boss pedal for instance.
Has anyone tried the TC electronic thunderstorm?
Thank you in advance for suggestions.

Eggman
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3812
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    edited November 2018
    Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.
    Without a doubt, this!
  • Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.
    Without a doubt, this!
    I was about to post the same
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Donner Jet is identical to the Mooer for about 22 squid new.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    Hard to get hold of now but keep a look out used for a NUX Flanger Core. They were approx £40 new I think.

• You can find the Ibanez FL9 S/H within your budget. Hugely underrated pedal IMO and is great if you like a softer sounding flanger.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.
    Without a doubt, this!
    I was about to post the same
    Me too.  About to post the same.  The Mooer pedals are killer.  The Ana Echo is just amazing too.  Seen off my Strymons and everything.  Enjoy!!
  • If you can find one second hand the Digitech Turbo Flange is really cool. I picked mine up for £40.
  • Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.

Why are there any more posts after this one?? The man said "End of." There are no other answers. This pedal is almost as good as the Hartman Flanger, which is possibly the best flanger of all time. Plus the Elecladay is about an 1/8th of the size.

Why anyone else bothered to comment I'll never know

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3812
    Have you heard the LongAmp Roxanne though, @preston61 ? #Hartmanbeater
  • Lebarque said:
    Have you heard the LongAmp Roxanne though, @preston61 ? #Hartmanbeater

Now you're just talking crazy!
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    Thank you for all of these suggestions. I think I'll try out the mooer eleclady when I get a chance. I like it's compactness.
    I'll look out for the other pedals mentioned on ebay, might grab a bargain!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.
    I came here to say what everyone else is already saying
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    shaunm said:
    Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.
    I came here to say what everyone else is already saying
    Thank you.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Okay, I'll be a small voice of dissent:  the Mooer E.Lady had a bit of a volume drop which was a smidge more than I liked.  And the flanger voicing was very Electric Mistress -- and I get that this is its selling point!  It was cheap enough to buy on a whim but if you don't really like that voicing then you won't get on with it.  Very easy to sell on; it's a popular pedal.
  • TPS did a flanger episode and in comparison to the more expensive ones the Mooer sucked ( obvious volume drop for a start). That, of course, isn't to say that they did the best job of doing a comparison or that for the money it's not the best value. I also think the flanger sound in my head is probably more MXR so maybe it was always going to be slightly disappointing. 
    I might split the difference between the Mooer and the MXR cost wise and say tc Vortex mini, or at least mention it as an option because I don't think anyone else has.Slightly over the OP's budget, £63 at GAK.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TPS did a flanger episode and in comparison to the more expensive ones the Mooer sucked ( obvious volume drop for a start).
    I was bothered a little by that episode.  In a previous episode Dan said something about going on tour in Japan and not wanting to bring his original Mistress with him and brought the Mooer instead.

So one minute it was a perfectly acceptable substitute then it wasn't.

No disrespect meant to Dan, it just bothered me a bit.  For my (very limited) flanger needs the ElecLady is perfectly fine.
  • Grunfeld said:
    Okay, I'll be a small voice of dissent:  the Mooer E.Lady had a bit of a volume drop which was a smidge more than I liked.  And the flanger voicing was very Electric Mistress -- and I get that this is its selling point!  It was cheap enough to buy on a whim but if you don't really like that voicing then you won't get on with it.  Very easy to sell on; it's a popular pedal.
    I have one on my gig board, and at gig volumes any volume drops become very apparent as it’s the difference of being heard or not in the mix. Can’t say I’ve noticed a volume drop when I’ve engaged the pedal.

I do agree that it’s very “Mistress”!

• clarkefan said:
    TPS did a flanger episode and in comparison to the more expensive ones the Mooer sucked ( obvious volume drop for a start).
    I was bothered a little by that episode.  In a previous episode Dan said something about going on tour in Japan and not wanting to bring his original Mistress with him and brought the Mooer instead.

No disrespect meant to Dan, it just bothered me a bit.  For my (very limited) flanger needs the ElecLady is perfectly fine.
    Ahh, I don't remember that bit. They don't spend a lot of time with each pedal so it's not the most reliable source of information sometimes. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    clarkefan said:
    TPS did a flanger episode and in comparison to the more expensive ones the Mooer sucked ( obvious volume drop for a start).

Tbh, it was bobbins.

We all know that the reason Dan built pre and post gain into G2 was because his EH mistress drop in volume. It was boosted in that episode, the EH that is and having had both the volume drop on the EH was *greater* than the Mooer. Plus the background noise of the EH was *DREADFUL*.

The point of the Mooer is that it’s 95% of the EH sound - for a tenth of the price. And frankly, I sold the Mistress and kept the Mooer. As Alan Partridge said... “cash back!”

But if you want the Boss flanger sound it’s not for you. That said, I’ve never paid more than £40 for a Boss flanger. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.