Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the best cheap flanger?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• preston61 said:
    Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.

Why are there any more posts after this one?? The man said "End of." There are no other answers. This pedal is almost as good as the Hartman Flanger, which is possibly the best flanger of all time. Plus the Elecladay is about an 1/8th of the size.

Why anyone else bothered to comment I'll never know

Because as far as flangers go, it's on the chorus end of the spectrum. Many people like that. Me, I'm not so keen. I like my flangers to sound very much like flangers.

I'd be looking at a s/h BF-2, a Yamaha FL-10MII or one of the Ibanez flangers, such as the FL-9, FL-10, FLL, etc (they're all the same, circuit-wise).
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61 said:
    Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.

Why are there any more posts after this one?? The man said "End of." There are no other answers. This pedal is almost as good as the Hartman Flanger, which is possibly the best flanger of all time. Plus the Elecladay is about an 1/8th of the size.

Why anyone else bothered to comment I'll never know

Because as far as flangers go, it's on the chorus end of the spectrum. Many people like that. Me, I'm not so keen. I like my flangers to sound very much like flangers.

I'd be looking at a s/h BF-2, a Yamaha FL-10MII or one of the Ibanez flangers, such as the FL-9, FL-10, FLL, etc (they're all the same, circuit-wise).

Everything after the 1st comment is just white noise, pointless, indiscernible noise ;-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Second hand Boss BF-2. Dozens of them on Ebay. They seem to have gone up a bit in price now, but you'll still get one for under £60.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've had a TC Electronic Thunderstorm Flanger on my board for a couple of months. 
    I think it's a really great flanger. Solid build too.

Oh and it's £26.

• EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    andy1839 said:
    I've had a TC Electronic Thunderstorm Flanger on my board for a couple of months. 

Oh and it's £26.

This is one that I've been considering. Thank you andy1839 , I was hoping some one would mention this pedal. Can you get a good range of sounds out of it?

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Eggman said:
    andy1839 said:

Oh and it's £26.

This is one that I've been considering. Thank you andy1839 , I was hoping some one would mention this pedal. Can you get a good range of sounds out of it?

It's got a really good range of sounds, quiet and plays nice with my other pedals. 
    For the price I think it's certainly worth a try.
    Since getting it I haven't been looking for another to replace it.

• ICBM said:
    Second hand Boss BF-2. Dozens of them on Ebay. They seem to have gone up a bit in price now, but you'll still get one for under £60.
    Crikey, you’re right! I’m going to have to get one now. :)
  • ICBM said:
    Crikey, you’re right! I’m going to have to get one now. :)
    BF2 runs off 12 volts ( watching something on YouTube) apparently?  Might be an issue. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    EricTheWeary said:

BF2 runs off 12 volts ( watching something on YouTube) apparently?  Might be an issue. 
    That’s the original ACA power supply they were designed to use. They run fine from a 9V supply if daisy-chained with another 9V pedal, or are easy to mod for 9V. If I remember rightly the later Taiwanese ones are PSA (9V) supply as stock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

That’s the original ACA power supply they were designed to use. They run fine from a 9V supply if daisy-chained with another 9V pedal, or are easy to mod for 9V. If I remember rightly the later Taiwanese ones are PSA (9V) supply as stock.
    Ahh, was a Japanese black label one in the video. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

But they sound awful
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    ICBM said:

If I remember rightly the later Taiwanese ones are PSA (9V) supply as stock.
    But they sound awful
    They sound identical to the Japanese ones.

• ICBM said:
    ICBM said:

If I remember rightly the later Taiwanese ones are PSA (9V) supply as stock.
    But they sound awful
    They sound identical to the Japanese ones.
    They sound awful too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    meltedbuzzbox said:

They sound awful too
    Ah, I see what you meant now :).

But for the record, the Japan/Taiwan thing - although it does apply to a very few Boss pedals, eg the DS-1 (which most people think both sound awful too!) - is irrelevant for the BF-2... they sound the same. I've had a couple of MIJ ones and a MIT, and the only reasons I kept the earlier MIJ one are because I've had that particular one a very long time, and I slightly prefer the black/orange knobs to the later grey-top ones, they're easier to grip and turn quickly when you're making silly noises with it.

• enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I have a BF-3 that I'd part with if anyone's interested? Not sure how it compares to the BF-2.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Lebarque said:
    Mooer Eleclady. End of.
    Without a doubt, this!
    It's better than most at three times the price -in fact it's the best budget pedal of any type