If a man wanted to learn some basic Jazz?

What's Hot
Without knowing any theory what so ever, where would a man start?
Ive been watching Tim Lerch on the tube and Im a little blown away.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Wanting to learn jazz without knowing theory is a bit like wanting to run a marathon without being able to walk.

You are going to need to learn some theory.
    Learn to harmonise the major scale, learn how to construct chords from stacking 3rds.
    Then learn some ii V I's and transcribe some easy solos.
    Then analyse what the players are doing in those solos.

It is much easier with a teacher and regardless whether you want to do it yourself or with a teacher it is a long and slow process- a life's work if you want it.

I'd suggest approaching it from the blues too.
    If you can't play changes on a I IV V blues progression then start with that first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    Cool , Ive found this Blues lesson, http://timlerch.com/lessons.html (near the bottom of the page) , would that be a good place to start?
    Lesson one seems to get right into it

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Practice by playing a different song to the rest of your band, but still in time with them.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    robgilmo said:
    Cool , Ive found this Blues lesson, http://timlerch.com/lessons.html (near the bottom of the page) , would that be a good place to start?
    Lesson one seems to get right into it

Yeah that is a good place to start.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    This just popped up on my YouTube suggestions.......

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    paulnb57 said:
    This just popped up on my YouTube suggestions.......

Mike Outram is a really fantastic player and a great teacher too!
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I have myself recently embarked on this odyssey so take my advice with the required level of scorn and or ridicule.

1. Learn some sandards from a beginner's book.  I find this has the following effects; 
    A. It gets the new and weird chords under my fingers.
    B. It introduces me to some of the popular songs.
    C. It has opened my ears to some really nice chord changes.

2. Everything so far turns to be a ii V I so comp a 2-5-1 into your looper. 1 bar od Am, 1 of D7 and then 2 of Gmaj7 works for me.  Now enjoy yourself* with the following;
    A. Start of with a single chord tone for each chord, root, fifth, 3rd,  etc. Start slow.  Already sounds vaguely jazzy, hey cat?
    B. Go where the music takes you, man. Explore the notes from the G major scale and the chord tones and extensions. Build up some simple lines.  It will probably sound very diatonic and with too much emphasis on the roots but can't swing till you can walk daddio.
    C. Try playing some chord inversions and extensions over the top of the looper and try some syncopation.
    You'll feel like a hep cat before can say 'hop it frog.'
    D. Start on those youtube 251 lick videos.

Let me know how it works for you. I can soindcloud something if you need evidence but I am not very good.

Let me know how it goes.

*I would say no one else will but amazing Ms.Veganic actually
     Complimented me on my playing when I did this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    I know it’s piano but check this out if you like 251s, it’s awesome. 

https://youtu.be/X0O7GeSFVt8
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • What about a woman wanting to learn some basic jazz? Would that be any different?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I did a chord of the week series on a jazz arrangement of twinkle twinkle little star at
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/64757/chord-of-the-week-2-1-16-twinklejazz1-jazz-imaj7-3rd-7th-chord-frags
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I think @robgilmo has given up on jazz.  Well at least until he has sorted his action out. I dunno if he has the attention span for jazz :)

As for the comment about whether a woman would take a different approach I think OP is using Multicultural London English, where 'man' is grammatically correct for 'I', I also suspect he is good a quick math and is also never hot. I am not sure if a first person singular being gendered is very progressive though. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    Nope, haven't given up, I'm running through the lessons on Blues in the post above. Things happen at a slow pace for me though, but I'll get there.
  • I’ve always struggled with ‘jazz’ chords.  There are so many damned ways to fret them and so many extensions that I’ve always given up. Any approach recommended for getting over this?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I’ve always struggled with ‘jazz’ chords.  There are so many damned ways to fret them and so many extensions that I’ve always given up. Any approach recommended for getting over this?
    Don't play the root or the 5th of the chord, play the 3rd and 7th and then think about adding in your extensions after that.

another approach is the play the root and 7th / 5th and 3rd of the chord and add in extensions as you like.  Alternate between playing the root and 7th / 5th and 3rd or the chord.  
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    This is not a bad place to find useful guidance https://www.jazzguitar.be/
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I’ve always struggled with ‘jazz’ chords.  There are so many damned ways to fret them and so many extensions that I’ve always given up. Any approach recommended for getting over this?
    Don't play the root or the 5th of the chord, play the 3rd and 7th and then think about adding in your extensions after that.

The root is the bassist's job anyway
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    What about a woman wanting to learn some basic jazz? Would that be any different?
    Hey, as long as she's a hep cat, it's cool.  (Daddy-o)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Look up Wrecking Crew video on YouTube. They were mostly jazzers and refer to sessions they did with pop songs having the same changes as Autumn Leaves and stuff.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Save your money & don’t bother to get https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/hlgm-jazz-guitar-method-gtr-bk-cd.html

Only shows small portions of songs and when listening to the cd, the backing instruments are so loud they swamp & hide the guitar playing.

Usually I like Hal Leonard books, but not this one.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Worth a watch (Justin Guitar)

https://youtu.be/Gta5__noZME