Cheap alternative to AxeFx?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
I know little about effects. Are there any cheap alternatives to an AxeFx these days?

Looking for something just to noodle around at home with without spending mega bucks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Define mega bucks before 20 people say Helix if that’s not in your budget
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you hang off a few weeks, you can get a Helix Stomp. Or, if that's too small and fiddly, a full size Helix
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    Also it depends what you mean by "alternative to AxeFX".

If you mean a decent sounding multiFX with amp sims then there are bazillions.

If there's a specific bit of functionality you want/need then the field may narrow - I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the AxeFX has a routing methodology that nothing else can match, if you push it to extreme levels of complexity.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Used prices of Axe fx 2 seem to be around £600 now. 

and when you say effects do you mean just effects or amp modelling too?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Used prices of Axe fx 2 seem to be around £600 now. 
    Where? If they were that cheap I’d buy a second one. From what I’ve seen they’re still routinely £1k or slightly above 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    If you just want effects, and not amp modelling, then a Standard or Ultra will do.

Sporky said:
    ... I seem to recall the AxeFX has a routing methodology that nothing else can match, if you push it to extreme levels of complexity.
    True, both the internal matrix, and external connections 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • It's not a rival to the AxeFX or Helix but for this purpose (noodling at home without spending mega bucks) I got the Boss GT-1. It has the same processor / engine as the GT-100 and the sounds are really good. It's simple to use and while some of the factory presets are wacky, the Tone Studio software lets you load tons of very usable presets onto the unit as well. If you do want to create your own patches it's easy enough to do. It has its limitations for gigging but that's not what I bought it for and it's cheap as chips.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Roland said:
    If you just want effects, and not amp modelling, then a Standard or Ultra will do.
    Actually I have an old standard, I just felt like noodling around with something different, something that I can plug straight into a cab and play. I like to get a Satriani type sound for gain, and then mostly generic blues sounds I guess.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    The Digitech gsp1101 goes pretty cheap on the used market and there's some very good sounds to be had from one. They don't really compete too well with an Axe fx (even the first generation models) but very good for £150 or so, which seems to be the going rate. The beta C63 firmware is a must.

The Atomic Amplifire is another option. They don't have the array of amp models or the range of fx that the Axe fx has but they sound pretty good.
  • I would say Helix LT (I picked mine up for £500 used) or the Atomic stuff is decent. I’ve had both and the Helix overall is streets ahead.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    I would look at the Boss GT-001

https://www.boss.info/us/products/gt-001/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Korg Pandora
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    axisus said:
    Roland said:
    Actually I have an old standard, I just felt like noodling around with something different, something that I can plug straight into a cab and play. I like to get a Satriani type sound for gain, and then mostly generic blues sounds I guess.
    Get a Katana head or a Katana 100 combo.
    You can either plug your Axe FX into the FX return, or use the onboard modelling.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eleven Rack?
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    Read the digitech gsp1101 thread on here
  • Another vote for the Boss GT - 001. I use mine for playing through my laptop with headphones. For my quiet noodling/practice times its great.