Boss Japan Hi-Band Flanger (HF-2, green label version) power supply?

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 949
edited November 2018 in FX
So I just received this wonderful pink pedal in the post and had anticipated (from previous experience with a Boss PS-2 years ago) that it might need slightly different power. It's got a sticker by the power socket saying "use Boss ACA adaptor only" and on the green back label you've got the table with the various voltages and the corresponding supplies from 100v to 240v suggesting the ACA-100 to ACA-240 respectively. 

My question is, because I can't remember exactly about the old PS-2 pedal:  Can I use the 9V power output from my Belcat multi-pedal power supply, or do I need to use one of the Belcat's adjustable power outputs and set it to 12V?  The power supply I've been using for years is one of these https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-PST-10-Power-Station-with-Adapter/B76?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=14514d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=127245242239&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInaWhyouz3gIVg-d3Ch3yzg7tEAQYASABEgIlp_D_BwE

Also, should I just skip asking via threads and PM @ICBM every time I need advice? 
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    If it's ACA it requires 12v supply if power is supplied individually. If powered via a daisy chain then provided one of the other pedals is a PSA pedal, then a 9v supply will be okay.

That's a great flanger, I seldom turn mine off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's a good explanation with what's going on with Boss ACA and PSA power

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    If it's ACA it requires 12v supply if power is supplied individually. If powered via a daisy chain then provided one of the other pedals is a PSA pedal, then a 9v supply will be okay.
    Sometimes the indicator LED won't light up properly when you do this. I have a couple of older Boss pedals and I removed the diode and resistor that drop the 12V down to 9V, now they work fine and light up, even when used on their own. It's a simple and reversible mod, but understandable if you don't want to do it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 949
    JezWynd said:

That's a great flanger, I seldom turn mine off.
    JezWynd said:
    Sometimes the indicator LED won't light up properly when you do this. I have a couple of older Boss pedals and I removed the diode and resistor that drop the 12V down to 9V, now they work fine and light up, even when used on their own. It's a simple and reversible mod, but understandable if you don't want to do it.

Cheers all - I'll probably just use the 12v setting from the Belcat power supply then. I'm probably a bit scared to mod the pedal myself. But you're right @JezWynd ; - it's basically the flanger sound I prefer compared to the more extreme, noisy ones I've had. Apparently plays rather nicely with drives as well. Plus, it's pink. 
  • I recently modded my old BF-2 but I used the 'cowboy' method - soldering a 'jumper' wire across two of the wires where they connect to the edge of the board which bypasses the diode and resistor.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 949
    I recently modded my old BF-2 but I used the 'cowboy' method - soldering a 'jumper' wire across two of the wires where they connect to the edge of the board which bypasses the diode and resistor.
    Unfortunately anything that requires soldering is beyond my ability and toolset....
  • I must admit to having to take a deep breath before doing the mod - the BF-2 was the second pedal I ever bought way back in about 1985. It went fine though and allowed me to run it off a GigRig isolator block with a 9V wall wart supplying the board. There are four pedals on the board and the BF-2 was interfering with the TC Alter Ego (or vice versa) when daisy chained together. I was having to run the BF-2 off a battery before the mod.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    I recently modded my old BF-2 but I used the 'cowboy' method - soldering a 'jumper' wire across two of the wires where they connect to the edge of the board which bypasses the diode and resistor.
    That’s not the cowboy method, it’s the correct method - it leaves the diode and resistor in place in case you ever want to reverse the mod. Removing them is pointless and carries a small risk of doing damage.

Depending on the PCB layout you can sometimes do it just with a small blob of solder between two of the pads, without even adding a wire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein