Edit: now DIY headstock repair // NGD Almost Snapped V100 (pics now working)

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10893
edited November 2018 in Making & Modding
Edit: moved to making and modding

I've been after a cheap LP style for trying pickups, and for a cheap backup to take out when there's likely to be copious amounts of alcohol involved

So I found this going on eBay for a good price.  Imagine my delight to learn that it also came with a free pillow!

Needless to say the fucker is 99% snapped.  Time to open a claim, wish me luck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited November 2018
    Well that was easy, I've been refunded.  Does anyone want a free almost-snapped V100 before it goes in the bin?  Minus the pickups, haha.  The pillow is extra
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    On second thoughts maybe I'll have a go at gluing and clamping... how hard can it be?  He said
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    roberty said:
    On second thoughts maybe I'll have a go at gluing and clamping... how hard can it be?  He said
    I was going to suggest this. Might as well have a go, as it's now not costing anything. Best of luck, let us know how it goes!
    edited November 2018
    DeeTee said:
    roberty said:
    I was going to suggest this. Might as well have a go, as it's now not costing anything. Best of luck, let us know how it goes!
    Cheers, I found your headstock repair thread from 2013, gorilla glue and a trigger clamp you reckon?

I'm wondering how I would get the glue into those little cracks.  They go from under where the nut was and along each side of the truss well. They run all the way up to the first tuning peg on each side
    edited November 2018

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    Those pics don't work bud.
    King85 said:
    Those pics don't work bud.
    Ah balls, try this.  Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    roberty said:

I'm wondering how I would get the glue into those little cracks.  They go from under where the nut was and along each side of the truss well. They run all the way up to the first tuning peg on each side
    You will need to open up the crack as far as possible without snapping the head right off - which can be difficult to judge, I do it by clamping the guitar to the bench with the neck supported and use a G-clamp to slowly bend the headstock down until I start to hear warning noises with my ear right next to it, then back off a tiny bit as quickly as possible! - and inject glue into the crack with a syringe, and/or work it in using a piece of paper. You'll never get it right to the end, but a water-based glue like Titebond Original will soak itself in to some extent, and if you purposely overdo it, when you clamp the crack tightly it should be forced right in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Amazing, thanks @ICBM I'll give this a go next week
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    You'll have an excellent free guitar if you can fix this :) 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • alexhalexh Frets: 58
    Can you thin the glue to help it wick in?
    @alexh no idea!

Been a hectic couple of weeks but got some clamps and glue on order now.  Hope to get onto this during the week
    Here goes...

Gave it a little wipe and then clamped it up for the night.  I've left the headstock resting on the table to give a little bit of extra forward pressure

The glue has gone right up to the top of the crack, hopefully it's gone to the bottom too

Assuming it all works, I'll probably try to put a decent nut on next.  It's about time I learnt and this is the right opportunity.  Depending on how little I can get away with spending on files, I suppose.

So yeah.  This thing better not be anywhere near as nice as my R8.  I'm appreciating the black Standard look at the moment, have done one or two eBay searches for black Standards in the past week or so, god help me fight this GAS.

Very appreciative of the advice on here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Cool, man - good luck.

I hope you haven't glued your rag to your guitar!
    DannyP said:
    Cool, man - good luck.

I hope you haven't glued your rag to your guitar!
    Thanks - so do I!
  • DannyP said:
    Cool, man - good luck.

I hope you haven't glued your rag to your guitar
    What you don't realise was that he was actually wearing that t-shirt at the time and had to cut that part of it off to escape...
    Strung up, we'll see how it lasts!  I won't get too attached (pun intended).  Few more things to do:

The stock wiring is pretty horrible, will probably rip it out and start again at some point

The nut is very basic, it's moulded plastic and it's hollow, three options are:
      1. get some files and learn to do it myself
      2. take it to a local tech
      3. get a pre-cut nut (are these worth it, and do they do them for 11s?)

Lastly, clean off the excess glue around the wound.  How do I do this?  Various types of sandpaper?

Decided to wang the Dussenberg Les Trem on for a laugh, I'm auditioning this 1970s DiMazrio set. They're unpotted, if I decide to keep them I'll get them potted and put them in my main guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Good job. If you used Titebond or similar it should clean up quite well if you rub the excess off with a cloth and some warm water.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The excess glue came off easy btw