I have two guitary projects lined up for christmas this year. Again, one each for my two boys (who are still enjoying last years 3/4 scale Fender-alikes). This is the first one, and will be going to my youngest, 6yr old Isaac. For a long time he (through no 'help' whatsoever from Daddy) has liked the idea of a three-neck guitar (I blame Mr Vai), because he is 6. So my initial plan was to attempt a 3-neck electric uke. However, I thought it would still be too big/heavy for him, and frankly by the time all the electrics and tuners were added in it was going to cost a fair bit too. So plan B was a 3-neck acoustic uke. Unfortunately I couldnt work out the aesthetics of placing 3 necks on a short acoustic body - the ratio was just wrong however I tried it. So, I am down to 2 necks. And a design Im happy with.
The neck closest to the floor will be tuned as a guitarlele (6 strings, 5 semitones up from a standard e-E tuning), and the other neck will be that of a baritone uke.
Having 2 necks has brought with it several unique problems to solve, and Im very grateful for any help Ive received on the forum here.
Construction-wise, the back and sides are Scottish hornbeam from a local mill, the top spruce of some sort, aand the necks a sandwich of rippled maple and padauk.
Bracing pattern has effectively been created as I went along, and the neck attachment a butt joint with clamping force provided by bolts and a captive nut in the neck (the pictures will make this clear)
I'll try and explain my thought process as I go along, and welcome any questions/criticisms on the way.
Oh, and I plan to finish the back and sides in a PRS Prism-type finish - you know, the DiMeola rainbow one.
So, first up is a photo of the hornbeam plank. Nice straight grain sections for the sides and a little ripple here and there with darker grain for interest.https://i.imgur.com/SY4yUEf.jpg
The back plates made up into a 4-piece back and thicknessed to a little under 2mm on my trusty performax 16-32.https://i.imgur.com/WvczydY.jpg
The spruce cross-grain joint reinforcements glued and being trimmed with a lovely HNT Gordon plane. Three reinforcement strips instead of the normal 1 because of the 4-piece back.https://i.imgur.com/Cq0mORB.jpg
Sanding an arch on the reinforcement, with masking tape protecting the plateshttps://i.imgur.com/qU5rKe0.jpg
Laying out the back braces, and marking the position of where I need to cut slots to accept the braces. https://i.imgur.com/OXzzYZ7.jpg
Cutting the slots. I had a bit of trouble aligning these, and they are certainly sloppier than I would like.https://i.imgur.com/n7EuKK9.jpg
A little brace carving jig, after the one I used at Baileys. Straightforward to use - place prepared brace blank in the jig, use pattern following bit in laminate trimmer router to carve arch. One side of the jig for rear, one for front arch.https://i.imgur.com/LZ31MYv.jpg
I will post up a little more later on, but right now, small children to pick up from school.
Thanks for looking,