fender player series strat

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
edited November 2018 in Guitar
....the Mexican strat for 2018

I saw a couple of nice strats with skinny necks today in gtr gtr and they look quite good, never got a chance to try one though.......what's the word with these guitars then folks?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    anybuddy?
    tae be or not tae be
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    The word is that there were quality issues, particularly with badly cut nuts. There's a thread somewhere about this. I've seen a couple in shops that were both ok so it's possible it's been sorted now.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Yeah, everything I'd read previously was that Mexican Fenders were totally fine guitars after about 2012 but this is the first year I see a lot of talk about quality issues - would make me weary of buying one.

The buttercream colour they introduced is a big plus though. I had previously never liked any of the Mexican Standard colours and had even wondered if they deliberately saved the better colours for the higher priced models but that new buttercream one is lovely.

On the downside for me personally, I play a 50s Precision - honey blonde with a white scratchplate that I swapped in myself. But now the Player series has that very similar looking buttercream colour so loads of people will have a similar looking bass to me instead of very few to none!

I'm sure I've moaned about that before on here and people said I shouldn't be concerned with that lol
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    The Mex made Classic Series '50s & '60s Lacquer circa 2013 were highly rated... is this model still in the catalogue? Would have been my first look if was out for another Strat.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Mex made Classic Series '50s & '60s Lacquer circa 2013 were highly rated... is this model still in the catalogue? Would have been my first look if was out for another Strat.

Always really loved the look of the Daphne Blue 50s Strat but the 7.5 radius always put me completely off them
  • 57Deluxe said:

I agree, the Classic Series guitars are great, lacquer or not. But was there something special about 2013? I have a 2015, and a 2014 Jaguar.
  • Some of these have come down to £469 (£555 RRP) so a good set up is always an option with the reduced price, even a new nut if needed. I had my American Teles and L.P Classic set up after purchasing anyway as it's always beneficial.

Philip McKnight's Video is good (see below), he studies all the components. Only weird thing is the Trem Cavity at 8:00 in. Looks like Guitar's been painted then routed.

He is basically saying that the quality and components are the the same as the older American Standards from the 00's.

I wanted one, but, I'm unsure whether to go for one yet as it seems just too good to be true. Best play a few first I guess.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    The Player series has had pretty unanimous praise on a Strat forum I participate in.
  • I have one. It’s very good. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6877
    Just check the nut is done correctly and that the strings actually align with the edges of the fretboard. 

The 2 teles I had, 1 had various paint defects but that could have been a one off. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Do all of the player series have 12” radius? I liked the look of a couple of the strats but they were 12” and I dunno man, that’s a no for me
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Do all of the player series have 12” radius? I liked the look of a couple of the strats but they were 12” and I dunno man, that’s a no for me
    Player series is 9.5. 

Classic Player are 12. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    any more folks?  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • I have one, and it's not great. The frets are a mess, the bridge saddles feel like they have been made out of Chinese pot metal and I've struggled to intonate it since day one. My MIM standard strat runs circles around it. I've had to put a lot of money in mine to get it right. 
    I'm a Grade 4 bedroom guitarist, never played live, who seems to think he needs 5 guitars.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I have a MIM Tele - Superb guitar for the money - Neck is great!