Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quite Practice without Headphones

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    For practice, why do you need to plug it into anything?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Barnezy said:
    Fair point. It is a pretty repetitive riff. 

But you've recognised a need to do something about it and are investigating options.

And what I'd have done would be to pop over and ask you to turn it down. I think my previous comment may have come across a bit pointy - apollogies if so. It was meant not as a pop at you but at the idea that skunkwerx posted, that the "complaint" was the problem. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Maybe the new Helix Stomp with headphones and a used THR for when I don’t want headphones. 

Thanks guys. 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    “ worked out quite well for Mark Knopfler....”

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    It’s taken a while to get used to headphones but I have recently made the effort and late night playing is now done using the free AmpliTube app on my iPhone or iPad using an iRig interface.

It’s really rather good!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Quiet ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Forget a new amp and headphones, just buy a detached house in the countryside. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I agree.
    Unless you are sloppy as shit and you need to triple check everything is ringing cleanly
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Jalapeno said:
    Quiet ! ;)
    Well spotted!

p90fool said:
    I agree.
    Unless you are sloppy as shit and you need to triple check everything is ringing cleanly
    Firstly, yes I am sloppy as shit.

Secondly, I do like to hear what I’m playing, play along to backing tracks, hear the dynamics etc. I do play unplugged if in a room with other people or watching TV, but I can’t do that all the time.

Anyone know if you can play a backing track through a Helix unit? I’m looking at a HX Stomp. 

It it would be great if someone came out with a HX Stomp type unit that had wireless guitar and headphone connectivity and was rechargeable. The perfect practice rig. 
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    It could be worth trying to have a chat with your neighbours?  Where I live now, we have a shared wall with the neighbours.  When we moved in, I said to my neighbour that if you can hear it next door, please tell me and I'll turn down.  He replied that if he could hear it, he'd bring his guitar round and join in - and he did!  He moved a few years back, but we still meet up to go to gigs and so on.

The people that moved in, we initially got on less well with TBH, but once we actually bothered to make the effort, found they were actually okay, and now we look after their dog, they look after our cat if we're away.  In the early days of them being there though, their music was booming right into our living room, and it was really irritating the wife.  I had a friendly word, and they just moved their stereo, and we couldn't hear it any more.

I don't know how your neighbours would be if you speak to them, they may be complete tossers, but if you offer to have a chat, then some compromise may be possible?  Good luck anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The neighbour didn't say turn down, they said "stop playing that fucking Dire Straits song over and over".
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Well, not quite...

From the OP it sounds a bit unpleasant, but sometimes if you talk to people you can reach some kind of sensible compromise.
    richh said:
    Well, not quite...

From the OP it sounds a bit unpleasant, but sometimes if you talk to people you can reach some kind of sensible compromise.
    I’m not sure it was unpleasant as we get on with them OK. We all recently had to have building work done in our flats to replace the communal heating system. When they had theirs done we didn’t say a word, yet when we had ours done, they were up everyday asking for the builders to be quite between certain times and to delay their start time etc. They are retired and at home all day and I think it’s just the way they are. I don’t take it personally. 

I can however see how it can be very annoying hearing someone practice, perhaps repeating the same phrase over and over for 5 minutes at a time, even if it is barely audible. 

The fourtune I have is the guys daughter is a signed singer songwriter, so he must have been through this his whole life. 

I will try open backed headphones initially, straight in to the amp and see how it goes, as I’d rather not be that obnoxious neighbour. That way when I want to play free flow without the headphones, it will be more acceptable. 

A detatched in the country had crossed my mind, however I’d only run in to the same issue with the wife eventually. Looking forward to my son being old enough to learn, then it’ll have to be accepted ;) 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Sporky said:
    Barnezy said:
    Fair point. It is a pretty repetitive riff. 

But you've recognised a need to do something about it and are investigating options.

And what I'd have done would be to pop over and ask you to turn it down. I think my previous comment may have come across a bit pointy - apollogies if so. It was meant not as a pop at you but at the idea that skunkwerx posted, that the "complaint" was the problem. 
    I see what you mean, but you got me wrong. 

I implied I don't like people who do the snarky comment thing when a much more decent thing to do in a first instance would be 'just ask nicely to turn it down'.

Instead the Ops neighbours were apparently bothered enough by this to remember to make a shitty comment to his girl, but not fussed enough to pop up and knock to ask him to keep it down which would have solved this problem instantly with no shittyness, and at rep 25 of 50 to boot. 

The Op clearly said he thought the volume was reasonable, ergo wasnt playing loud music just to be an ignorant dick, so I can imagine he was pretty embarrassed to find out the neighbours could hear it and the manner in which they expressed it. 

Doubly so if a neighbour would have thought it reasonable to give him 'more than a passive aggressive comment' the next time he saw him for his mistake. 

So yeah, the problem is the OP needs to find a quieter amp, I was merely trying to express how sarcastic comments don't help, at all. 

But seriously. 

Katana 50. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Back to headphones. I  really rate my AKG K92s. Closed back but very light and comfortable. Staggeringly sensitive at 113dB/V . i am registered deaf (got the aid, book and T shirt) but I only need this laptop on about 45% for easy harkening to speech.  Other cans I have are still weak at 100% and the HP amp starts to get a bit strained.

Dave.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    For zero volume practice I use Bias Amp or FX on my Mac with headphones. There’s loads of tweakability and it’s really inspiring. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    ecc83 said:
    Back to headphones. I  really rate my AKG K92s. Closed back but very light and comfortable. Staggeringly sensitive at 113dB/V . i am registered deaf (got the aid, book and T shirt) but I only need this laptop on about 45% for easy harkening to speech.  Other cans I have are still weak at 100% and the HP amp starts to get a bit strained.

Dave.
    I’m looking for a decent pair of headphones for playing along to music through my alto 52 mixer (piano for the moment but probably guitar too one day). Should these do the job? 
    I read that due to impedance, these aren’t suitable for an iPod or the like. True?
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Akg are 32 ohms. My alto zmx52 says all outputs except aux are 120 ohms. 
    Are they compatible?
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3447
    I have a Cambridge 30 that works well at low volumes, even my Peavey Deuce will work well at loud talking volumes. The Vox has a gain knob that will break it up at whisper volumes.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    lukedlb said:
    Akg are 32 ohms. My alto zmx52 says all outputs except aux are 120 ohms. 
    Are they compatible?
    That 120R is the SOURCE impedance, not the load impedance. If they don't make that clear that is a crap way to give a specification.
    Headohone outs can (or should!) cope with any load from  short to infinity. The distortion will be a bit higher for very low loads, sub 32R and they may not deliver much level into >200 Ohm cans but they should drive anything. My 92s wotk fine on my phone.

Dave.