Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Now in a position to buy R8 (or possibly R9) and after some pointers

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
edited November 2018 in Guitar
It's taken a while but finally completing a property sale on Monday and I'm looking to treat myself to a Gibson R8/R9 vos but probably an R8 because of the price differential. Favourite finishes are lemon, iced tea and honeyburst. Not interested in gloss, and as my 1990 LP Custom is tobacco sunburst not really looking for another sunburst. 

This will be the most expensive guitar Ive ever bought so I'm not rushing in and want to try lots before buying one so I can get a good feel for the differences.  

So guys, from your experience, who are the friendliest, most knowledgeable, patient and best stores to visit who will let me try different R8 and R9s, and won't pressure me. I'm in North London but appreciate the big stores are outside London. 

Peach are in Colchester, Coda are in Stevenage, and Andertons are in Guildford. 

So what are your experiences of these stores guys, and who else would you recommend I visit and speak with in each store?

If there are pre-owned options, that would be great too...which are the best years to look for and which have the best sounding paf pickups?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Coda are great, not been to Peach but I world expect them to be too. Andertons isn't great, most of their stock is in their warehouse.

Any post-2013 CS LP has the latest tweaks, I wouldn't get too hung up on a particular year as there are good and bad from any.

Just try loads and see what you like!
  • Coda are awesome
    I've never heard a bad word about peach

Andertons... Meh
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1419
    Coda and Peach are great. Also I’ve had amazing customer service at GG Epsom. Very happy for you to spend hours there trying out different guitars and no pressure whatsoever.
  • Coda and Peach are as great as everyone says. I haven't been to Andertons in an age, but would suggest Guitar Village if you're in that area as well.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    All three are good. Anderton's can be busy. Coda is nice if you want to noodle and try out guitars. No hassle from the staff and they have a nice upstairs area at the back of the shop where you play stuff.. I've spent a fortune in there over the years.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • As above Coda and Peach - I wouldn't bother with Andertons
  • Coda and Peach by far the best IMO
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Thanks guys...Coda and Peach certainly seemed to be well thought of from everything I've read here. Do they both have a large selection to try and is after sales service good from both?

Are there any other stores you'd recommend within a reasonable drive from North London? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    If I were you, I would find out when the next batch of R8’s is coming into Peach and get there on the day and pick one out.

The timing of your purchase could not have been better!

Good luck.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1419
    Ossyrocks said:
    If I were you, I would find out when the next batch of R8’s is coming into Peach and get there on the day and pick one out.

Good luck.
    Except he’s not keen on gloss
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Twinfan said:

Any post-2013 CS LP has the latest tweaks, I wouldn't get too hung up on a particular year as there are good and bad from any.
    2015 CS-prefixed models had a short tenon. Upgraded plastics only standard from 2017 onwards.

Whether any of that matters a jot is another matter...
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Obviously be aware of the sale of R8’s going on for £2,499. All the VOS have gone with Peach expecting more gloss in soon, but people are trying to sell them as new unused at profit, but are quickly realising they won’t be able to. I bought one at cost this week. Keep your eye out on Reverb, eBay and here, and you might grab yourself your dream guitar at a much lower cost than expected. 
    hyperben said:
    Ossyrocks said:

Good luck.
    Except he’s not keen on gloss
    Yup, I saw on their website that it's mainly gloss they have coming in. I really do like lemon bursts though. 
    edited November 2018
    Barnezy said:i
    Obviously be aware of the sale of R8’s going on for £2,499. All the VOS have gone with Peach expecting more gloss in soon, but people are trying to sell them as new unused at profit, but are quickly realising they won’t be able to. I bought one at cost this week. Keep your eye out on Reverb, eBay and here, and you might grab yourself your dream guitar at a much lower cost than expected. 
    Will definitely look here of course, but I need to try out lots to get a feel for the differences. Key things I'm looking for is tone, natural unplugged acoustic vibrancy, and playing comfort.  I dont trust Ebay at this price point though (unless it's a store or a regular known fretboarder) but I'd have to see and try first anyway. 
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I think it’s only gloss arriving in the new Peach batch.

There are still a few of the 2017 VOS ones available new for £2499, but obviously not all in the one place so you can try them.

FWIW I’m not all that impressed with the VOS finish, but I like everything else about my R8, so it’s a keeper.
    dbphoto said:n
    I think it’s only gloss arriving in the new Peach batch.

There are still a few of the 2017 VOS ones available new for £2499, but obviously not all in the one place so you can try them.

FWIW I’m not all that impressed with the VOS finish, but I like everything else about my R8, so it’s a keeper.
    Out of interest @dbphoto ;, what didn't you like about the VOS finish? 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited November 2018
    Gloss is lovely in my opinion. With playing, the hardware will age and tarnish and will begin to look older quite quickly. Although I haven’t done it with my current guitars, I have in the past polished off all the VOS finish from my LP’s. Some are more VOS than others..........
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited November 2018
    The ageing of the hardware on mine is fine, although it can vary considerably having checked out loads in GuitarGuitar.

The slightly sticky finish everywhere just feels a bit crap to me, and at first I was going to send it back to Peach as the neck felt horribly sticky, but that wore off after a good few hours of playing.

I would much prefer a satin finish on them to be honest, but at £2499 you can’t have everything I suppose.

Especially as it sounds fucking glorious, and well, it looks like this:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    Ossyrocks said:

Good luck.
    Apparently they’re all being held back while people on the ‘waiting list’ get the first pick.......allegedly 
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    edited November 2018
    dbphoto said:
    The ageing of the hardware on mine is fine, although it can vary considerably having checked out loads in GuitarGuitar.

The slightly sticky finish everywhere just feels a bit crap to me, and at first I was going to send it back to Peach as the neck felt horribly sticky, but that wore off after a good few hours of playing.

I would much prefer a satin finish on them to be honest, but at £2499 you can’t have everything I suppose.

Especially as it sounds fucking glorious, and well, it looks like this:

That’s lovely! I personally really like the VOS finish and aging of the hardware. Think it makes it less of a beauty queen and more of a tool. I would mind dinging mine, but on a gloss one it would ruin it. 

Here’s mine and couldn’t be happier. For the money you save, it’s worth the risk of buying without trying, unless of course you can find some still left, that you can. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkvumus633p5oe4/Photo%2001-11-2018%2C%2015%2000%2057.jpg?dl=0