EVH Wolfgang owners - behold

dariusdarius Frets: 619
edited November 2018 in Making & Modding
I've been meaning to post this for a while.
I posted ages ago if anyone knew how to cure the common problem found on EVH WGs that the neck joint can actually slip and induce lateral rotation, not much but enough to go 'PING' and stuff your tuning up. (Noone did)
The problem is the body shape leaving a very small amount of body wood restraining the lower edge of the neck. That and not much friction from the 4bolt design even when properly tightened into soft basswood. Left unchecked I could see this eventually rendering the neck or body useless. It's my main guitar, its great in every way except this one, which is a pretty MASSIVE design flaw. (I'm looking at you Fender). Upgrading to a USA version doesn't help cos they are identical neck joints.

After much discussion with my local genius guitar maker Rob Hodgson of RH Guitars UK in Idrigehay, he has solved it.

He added an ebony plug (super hard compared to the soft basswood body, and then two steel dowel pins. Dowel holes in neck are micro offest to force the neck to one side of the pocket. 4 bolts unchanged.
No more shifting when subjected to a light breeze. Natural sustain increased too.

Attempt to link to images on dropbox here...Failed. Trying again.

All credit to Rob Hodgson. Check him out if you're in the Derbyshire area. He's awesome. Tell him I sent you.

Mods he has done for me so far:
EVH - Neck Lumo side dots, refret, add a kill switch, maintain electrics,/pots/ floyd
Fender HMTele - make a completely new neck based on the EVH neck, lock off floyd to 'down-only', spec and install new Mojo humbucker, electrics, refret.

Darius

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dariusdarius Frets: 619
    edited November 2018
    bloody dropbox. Aha! Fixed. The old "dl=1" trick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Excellent! :)
  • darius said:
    I've been meaning to post this for a while.
    I posted ages ago if anyone knew how to cure the common problem found on EVH WGs that the neck joint can actually slip and induce lateral rotation, not much but enough to go 'PING' and stuff your tuning up. (Noone did)
    The problem is the body shape leaving a very small amount of body wood restraining the lower edge of the neck. That and not much friction from the 4bolt design even when properly tightened into soft basswood. Left unchecked I could see this eventually rendering the neck or body useless. It's my main guitar, its great in every way except this one, which is a pretty MASSIVE design flaw. (I'm looking at you Fender). Upgrading to a USA version doesn't help cos they are identical neck joints.

After much discussion with my local genius guitar maker Rob Hodgson of RH Guitars UK in Idrigehay, he has solved it.

He added an ebony plug (super hard compared to the soft basswood body, and then two steel dowel pins. Dowel holes in neck are micro offest to force the neck to one side of the pocket. 4 bolts unchanged.
    No more shifting when subjected to a light breeze. Natural sustain increased too.

Attempt to link to images on dropbox here...Failed. Trying again.

All credit to Rob Hodgson. Check him out if you're in the Derbyshire area. He's awesome. Tell him I sent you.

Mods he has done for me so far:
    EVH - Neck Lumo side dots, refret, add a kill switch, maintain electrics,/pots/ floyd
    Fender HMTele - make a completely new neck based on the EVH neck, lock off floyd to 'down-only', spec and install new Mojo humbucker, electrics, refret.

Darius

I can vouch for Rob too.  Great guy, great guitar builder