Finding stuff to write about

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 4341
    not even in the summer?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 3405
    not even in the summer?
    Particularly not in the summer. Prefer to stay at Homme

Water, come drown me, I'm done

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    you got to just go with the flow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 3405
    Just joshing mate.

Anyway, I've been listening to Bright Eyes today (the band, not the Arty Garfunkel song) and it has motivated me to try harder and see what approaches above might get me somewhere near that

Water, come drown me, I'm done

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 228
    edited November 10
    Films, books and TV, that's where you can get a lot of ideas. For me it can come from the strangest places, but when there's a connection to something that you feel, a song can come almost instantly. We don't have to watch high art either: the idea for my song Ordinary Men came from the film Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and it's not a song about conmen living on the cote d'Azur. There's a line in there that got me, and hey presto, out comes the lyric. It's not an original idea, but it's an idea, and that's all you need.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    We have a song called Lt. Skytree's Bacon Soliloquy that is about a kick ass girl with a scythe travelling into space to claim a ceremonial title that was last held by a guy that exists in thousands of dimensions at once and is rumoured to have concentrated himself into existence, that guy went mad and started writing a book on the cured skin of other dudes that exist in multiple dimensions and that book is known facetiously as the Bacon Soliloquy. Anyway this guy went mad and vanished but the protagonist of the song has to claim the title in order to access the realm of the dead where she can bring back an alternate version of Eva who is the only person that can save the world*.

So if we can write a song about that pretentious story line...you should be able to write one about just about anything right?

*more details are available on our wiki...if you can find it.
  • I think John Mayal told Peter Green to take the first line of a chorus to a song written by somebody else and use it as the first line of the first verse and see where it takes you.
  • I remember writing verses witth the rhyming scheme AABB and changed them to ABAB. Just to liven things up.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 338
    Peter Kay has built an extremely successful comedy routine based around normal stuff people do.

So, I'm guessing that keeping it simple,  helps people to relate to the content.

What do you do at night when you get home? How do you feel about it? How do you see the world around you? Do you think you're in the minority? Etc, etc

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 434
    You can get away with the following approach once:

Buy a newspaper. 

Cut out the names of famous people who feature in it as well as partial sentences within the articles.

Randomly arrange names and phrases to make the verses.

Add a catchy chorus.

Sorted.

That worked a treat for REM and Billy Joel
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3482
    Chronicles by Bob Dylan is chock full of phrases that are worth stealing wholesale. Likewise, the prose of Leonard Cohen.

The working title for one of my music collaboration projects is Starlight. Just last week, I cribbed a bunch of phrases from a radio documentary about pioneer astronomer George Ellery Hale. All that I have to do now is arrange those coherently and add a few rhymes. If that fails to impress my collaborator, I may be forced to read up about Watney's bitter ales.
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 40
    Great thread. My band have recently decided we should be writing some original music but it's hard to know where to start.

Cheers!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3482
    Check out the documentary Paul Heaton: From Hull To Heatongrad

"It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."