What shall i do with my broken amp?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
I have a Laney Lionheart 4x10 which no longer works. There is volume but only through the reverb. It doesnt work if the reverb is not up full and even then the sound isnt properly there.

So, that leaves me with an amp that isnt really up to much. It wasnt an expensive amp and i dont want to throw good money after bad. Plus I have another one of these amps which works perfectly.

What i am thinking is that i have four working speakers which are decent Jensons P10-R speakers. I was thinking that I could get a 4x10 cab made with those speakers? If so would they be suitable to go with a JTM45? 

Would a 3x10 cab work and maybe put one of these Jensons in my 68 Princeton? Or would that be a poor choice?

What would you guys do in this situation?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    Get the amp repaired. It may not have been that expensive, although I’m not sure compared to what... in my opinion they weren’t cheap. Repairing it should be cheap and easy - if I remember correctly the reverb is in parallel with the FX loop and the main dry signal path... has the amp been modded to a series FX loop? If so, the fault is probably either the FX loop jack contacts or a bad solder joint related to the mod.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    If I were in your situation, I'd try to fix it myself. If you pull it off, great! If not, well, salvage the speakers & sell the amp as broken.

(I do have an interest in fixing things, though).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    If the amp is in good cosmetic condition, it is definitely worth having it looked at, the fact that you are getting output via the reverb path, then the issue is with the dry signal path, so there is a good chance that the first gain stage is good and the output stage is good, so its just the bit in the middle :) .Seriously it doesn't sound like a difficult fault for a good amp tech to find.  
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Check the fx loop. I had a similar issue with mine and the sockets just needed a clean. The reverv circuit is in parallel with the fx loop which is why you still hear it...... Or I'll take it off your hands for a fiver
  • Viking funeral!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Er-ly in the morning....