Best procedure and products for cleaning and lubricating pots and switches

Fortunately I've never previously had much need to clean pots and switches, but I've recently had a couple of pieces equipment with noisy pots. I had a can of CAIG Deoxit D5 which seems to have done the job, but a few other forums suggest that Deoxit needs to be reapplied quite regularly, which would get annoying.

So, what products does everyone else use - Servisol/Ambersil/Electrolube/WD40 or something else? And which products in which circumstances? Do you use separate contact cleaners then lubricants, or do you use combined cleaner/lubricant products? Do you use the same things for both pots and switches? And whilst we're on the subject what do you use to clean valve pins and sockets, and what is your procedure?

Thanks in advance for your input, and if anyone can advise how I can get rid of the headache inducing smell of the Deoxit D5, then I'd be very grateful!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Servisol always works for me 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    sweepy said:
    Servisol always works for me 
    And me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I've used servisol and deoxit (bought the deoxit when I temporarily lost the servisol!). They both work well. Ignore people on forums suggesting reapplying regularly and make up your own mind about whether it needs reapplied.

My view (feel free to ignore this too) is that if you need to reapply any contatct cleaner regularly you probably need to replace the component.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'd use the Interflon electrical cleaner followed by their TF lube.

WD40 is a bad one because it never drys, so i'd recommend using any of the dry lubes.

The new WD40 electrical cleaner is very good though and pretty cheap, i've used it exclusively for the past 6 months on my stuff (plus a bit of work on the writing of a custom chopper)
    Gagaryn said:

My view (feel free to ignore this too) is that if you need to reapply any contatct cleaner regularly you probably need to replace the component.
    I agree.

timmysoft said:

WD40 is a bad one because it never drys, so i'd recommend using any of the dry lubes.
    WD-40 - the original, not the contact cleaner - is worth trying as a last resort before changing pots though. It does often work, and if you're going to have to change the pot otherwise, you've got nothing to lose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Is it true that even Servisol can wash out the lube which some pots contain, thereby removing the "damped hi-fi" feel and making them feel (not sound) scratchy?
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    Is it true that even Servisol can wash out the lube which some pots contain, thereby removing the "damped hi-fi" feel and making them feel (not sound) scratchy?
    Yes.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Is it true that even Servisol can wash out the lube which some pots contain, thereby removing the "damped hi-fi" feel and making them feel (not sound) scratchy?
    Replace can with will. Your knob will rotate much more easily in your hand - you may even be able to spin it. Some folks like this.