John Ellis Blues Workshop

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
mrs sev112 gave me a birthday present of a group blues workshop with John Ellis - ex Stranglers - yesterday

was a beginners blues class, there were 6 of us and John in a room above a trendy pub near Covent Garden.

bearing in mind I’ve been playing for years, I went in iwth an open mind, especially because I’ve never appreciated or really listened to blues before.

we had a wide range of capability, and whilst the exercises and riffs weren’t complex, I have a fab time

john is a great guy to listen to talking, and learn about the blues and some of the original history and backstories of the players.

i came away with some nice themes and tricks and ways to use stuff that I’d learned from theory and previous lessons.

I noticed on his website that he does evening acoustic house gigs in London for a really reasonable rate - i’d Recommend that, he’s great to listen to play and talk.

just goes to show you, open your mind, be prepared to listen and you have a great time

met a nice group of players too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dad! 

[ my father is John Ellis, although he wasn’t in The Stranglers]

Nice gift, I had no idea he did any blues stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    I did John's course about 12 months ago and can confirm it is a brilliant day. John did a good job of working with the broad range of experience that the players brought along. As one of the longer playing members of the group, I did not feel that I was waiting for the others all the time, that we were racing ahead and leaving people behind. A lot of the exercises provided the little flourishes that one always wants to have in the repertoire to brighten a I IV V progression. Highly recommended if you are in London. John is also a very engaging and interesting bloke.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom