Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NVGD 1964 Fender Strat

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
edited November 2018 in Guitar
Paid my first visit to Phils Vintage Guitars at Thame, had a great time - wonderful to visit a proper shop and have a good chinwag.

Tried three amazing Strats there, two 64s and a 69 - walked away with the bucket list for me, pre-CBS Strat with black bottom pickups.

Body has had a very, very good refin - and the font on the knobs looks like 70's, but apart from that all good and surprisingly light

Can really recommend a visit if you're in the area, took me ages to get a train back though so check the timetable (duh!)

https://i.imgur.com/GOtMoa4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1eCefIw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6W30wTT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FvqJuof.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Jgmzggs.jpg
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice, nothing beats the feel of a naturally wore neck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    It's alright, I suppose.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very clean. Wonderful
  • Lovely strat
    “Ken sent me.”
  • That is a very good refinish - really captures the ‘target burst’ look well.
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    Stunning
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Very, very nice Strat - I've been into Phil's store, and I can vouch for it being a good experience. 
    Call me Dave.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    That is a very good refinish - really captures the ‘target burst’ look well.
    Yes, it's really well done - so much so I believe the previous owner bought it as all original which must have been annoying!

(Phil was very clear from the start it was a refin)

Can recommend the Olympic White refin Phil also has - it's a beast!
  • Yeeeoooouch, I’m diggin’ it ! - Sounds please  B)
  • Wow, that's a lovely looking Guitar.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    Is that logo in an odd place?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Nice, bought a '64 from Norm Harris for £5k in 2004...100% original. Amazing how much they've gone up. At the time they were on the edge of being desirable. I see perfect ones now are just under £20k.....bugger.
  • Lovely addition to the collection. Congratulations!
  • Strat54 said:
    Nice, bought a '64 from Norm Harris for £5k in 2004...100% original. Amazing how much they've gone up. At the time they were on the edge of being desirable. I see perfect ones now are just under £20k.....bugger.
    I sold my near-mint ‘65 in 1984 for £500. I was pleased - I’d got back what I’d paid for it! :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Noice! HNGD :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Strat54 said:
    I sold my near-mint ‘65 in 1984 for £500. I was pleased - I’d got back what I’d paid for it! :)
    Its shocking. I'll be really honest I sold mine for twice what I paid for it a couple of years later, that was never the plan but I found a Cunetto era '60s Strat that not only played better but sounded better still for £1500 so sense came calling and off the '64 went. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    That's lovely. My own '64 has a refin by Clive Brown, which I had done about 15 years ago. Now it's way more battered and lived in than yours. Congrats!

• Looks okay. It seems that the only way to get an old Fender at anything like an affordable price is to go for a refinished one.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    Looks okay. It seems that the only way to get an old Fender at anything like an affordable price is to go for a refinished one.
    There is something to be said about buying a refin - At least you know what it is you have purchased - Buying an alleged 'original' and there was always talk about is it a refin or not - Granted some refins are more obvious than others but others are getting very good at misleading the buyer into believing it is original - the higher the cost of such an original Strat, then the greater reward for any 'forgery'  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Very nice!  I was born in '64 but I probably wouldn't again lay out the kind of money required to get a birth year guitar.

I've always liked that mid-'60s transition logo.  I'm curious about the neck profile, is it similar to any of the Custom Shop '60s profiles, or completely idiosyncratic?