Kelton Swade

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
No, not the name of an American photocopier salesman, but a new boutique Fender-alike builder. Trouble is, they are £4.7k. Seriously?!

Wonky looking headstock too!

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/kelton-swade-guitars/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lewismlewism Frets: 250
    There are numerous threads on him over on TGP, most of which give the message “steer clear”. Aside from the usual delays building guitars and quality not always matching the price, I think he’d been putting decals on builds that didn’t say Kelton Swade on guitars. Fender took him to court I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I know nothing about them - but how many more takes can there be on designs like these? If the Fender Custom Shop, Anderson or Suhr don’t do something that suits, you probably need to look at a different type of guitar...
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 49
    I'd steer clear, he's a nutjob. I remember reading some racist outbursts of his on FB that have now been deleted I think
  • I'm no expert on relicing, but the fretboard wear seems ludicrous to me.  On the red strat, there's a really weird wear pattern.  Nothing much around the 9-12th fret, but loads across the fretboard above the 17th fret, including the high E at the 21st fret.  Surely nobody plays up there enough to wear the 'board.  Looks totally fake to me.  Which it is.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    "Steer clear" wisdom or not, I guess it's safe enough to buy one from GuitarGuitar - for now.  I'd never heard of him/the brand until I got the GG email this morning.

I often wonder if there's a degree of Emperor's New Clothes about these better-than-the-real-thing boutique builders.  I'm sure some of them are great, but it seems to be almost taken for granted that just because they build their Fender copies in small numbers they should command a premium price.  Of course, the way to find out would be to try them....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm no expert on relicing, but the fretboard wear seems ludicrous to me.  On the red strat, there's a really weird wear pattern.  Nothing much around the 9-12th fret, but loads across the fretboard above the 17th fret, including the high E at the 21st fret.  Surely nobody plays up there enough to wear the 'board.  Looks totally fake to me.  Which it is.
    Yep, thats just awful. 
  • Should have said "low E" but the point is still the same.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    Not for me 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Like you got an email, checked the link, saw the price tag & closed the webpage.

in that order!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2330
    edited November 2018
    He's infamous for all the wrong reasons.and he's known for his vigorous defence of threads like this too. Only last week he was abusing one of Europes most repected vintage Fender collectors on FB. He has been sued successfully by Fender and Johnny Hiland even made a YT video to announce he doesn't endorse or use his guitars. 

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/591458e6add7b049341c2054

Oh and apparently he has a book coming out soon that is going to trash Leo Fender and Fender heritage. 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Where can I read more about him?

I love a good nutjob.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Given the sheer volume of s**t that has been flung at/by Kelton Swade I am amazed that GG are selling his wares 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotone said:
    Like you got an email, checked the link, saw the price tag & closed the webpage.

in that order!
    Me too! I suppose if you’ve got the cash and like that sort of thing they’re okay, but they’re not for me.