Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Beatles White Album 2018 Remix - preview Glass Onion

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
edited November 2018 in Music
Wow...put your headphones on and compare this preview of Glass Onion to both the Mono and 2009 stereo mixes....

Sounds fantastic, drums, bass, strings all sound so alive and the brittle sound that always put me off the White Album production has been rounded off. The panning that Giles Martin has used really helps the track have space.

Looking forward to rediscovering the White Album next week.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12358
    I wonder if he’ll be able to make Revolution No 9 listenable? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
     =) 

That's a feat that is beyond him and his father before him...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    boogieman said:
    lol

It's still not my least favourite track on it though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• This sounds lovely, but if anything is getting fairy dust I'd really rather they did Revolver and Abbey Road first. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited November 2018
    Wow, nice, sounds great in the low end ... the original was a bit thin sounding
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited November 2018
    This sounds lovely, but if anything is getting fairy dust I'd really rather they did Revolver and Abbey Road first. 

I totally agree but am not looking forward to the 30 disc super duper mega extended edition of all of the outtakes of Maxwells silver hammer . ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sticker said:

I totally agree but am not looking forward to the 30 disc super duper mega extended edition of all of the outtakes of Maxwells silver hammer . ;)
    I would find it surprising if I ended up liking MSH, but I actually like Lovely Rita a bit now I've heard the 50th Anniversary Sgt. Pepper's, so it isn't impossible... although it's a bigger stretch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogieman said:

I'd take listening to that track over 'Rocky Raccoon' and 'Don't pass Me By' any day of the week. Rest of the album I really like. Probably my favourite Beatles album.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    boogieman said:
     =) 

Wonder if this will be available on Spotify or Amazon Music?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12358
    SidNewton said:
    boogieman said:

I'd take listening to that track over 'Rocky Raccoon' and 'Don't pass Me By' any day of the week. Rest of the album I really like. Probably my favourite Beatles album.

I quite like Rocky Raccoon. Rev no 9 is just an overindulgent waste of studio time IMO. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer. 
    I know. I'm sorry.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • boogieman said:
    SidNewton said:
    boogieman said:

I quite like Rocky Raccoon. Rev no 9 is just an overindulgent waste of studio time IMO. 

As with several songs on the White Album, Rocky Raccoon sounds unfinished, in particular there seems to be a lot less effort on some of the vocal takes and I'm not convinced McCartney had really finished the lyrics.

At least Maxwell's Silver Hammer sounds like a finished song along with the trademark backing harmonies.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited November 2018
    Just got the Super Deluxe Edition and had a flick through, sounds good. The first big wow moment was hearing John Lennon's 'Child Of Nature' Esher demo which is the complete tune of 'Jealous Guy' with different lyrics. Also, early demos of 'Mean Mr Mustard', 'Polythene Pam' and 'Let It Be' are all of interest.

Will give the remix album a listen with headphones when I get chance

• The bass and drums now thunder with a low end not heard before, vocals sound so present, you can hear so much more of everything including McCartney's almost distorting Rickenbacker bass. This remix is fantastic. Like Pepper, you cannot listen to the original anymore, it pales.

• Must admit, listening to that I have mixed feelings.  Yes it sounds pretty good to my ears, but it doesn't sound like something from the late 60s, it's too crisp, too "present", too dynamic.  Would The Beatles have wanted it to sound like that at the time, even if it was possible?  Or are we distorting something from 1968 through current tastes in a way that in, say, 20 years time will make the record sound like 1968 with a weird dollop of 2018 mixed in?
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”

Would The Beatles have wanted it to sound like that at the time, even if it was possible?
    My guess is yes. They, and George Martin, were keen to use the latest and best technology they could. They weren't trying to make something that sounded old, they were trying to make something that sounded new, to push the boundaries further than their competitors. It's still based on the original recording tapes that they must have heard in the studio.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Just listening now, amazing work, love it love it love it
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4909
    Interesting interview with Giles Martin here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46152217

Nitefly said:
    Interesting interview with Giles Martin here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46152217
    I'm not sure that Giles Martin isn't the greatest mixing engineer ever. It's one thing to mix an album really well when you're just trying to create the best result you can, but it's quite another to deliberately replicate flaws in an original mix and produce something which is better, but still recognisably the same and without disturbing the original balance - when the target audience is as familiar with the original as they are with the Beatles albums.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6057
    ICBM said:

Would The Beatles have wanted it to sound like that at the time, even if it was possible?
    My guess is yes. They, and George Martin, were keen to use the latest and best technology they could. They weren't trying to make something that sounded old, they were trying to make something that sounded new, to push the boundaries further than their competitors. It's still based on the original recording tapes that they must have heard in the studio.
    They never put much effort into the stereo mixes of their LP's from what I've heard, even though stereo was obviously the future. They wanted to make good records for the radio and the bedroom Dansette imo.