Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I've just dropped to eights on a Strat....

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
My new (to me) had a complete set up including a complete disassembly/reassembly, deep clean, fret level, re-crown and major chip repair session. In between the reassembly and the re-string, had to then spend a few days over in England which gave me time to ponder strings and, for some bizarre and inexpiable 'brain fart' reason, I took the notion to  restring with eight thou strings instead of going up (which was my original intention) from nines to tens.

What a difference one step down in string gauge makes. I play with a really light touch and I'm really enjoying the change but the dilemma now is, do I change my Tele to eights as well?

Anyone on here play on eights (or lower?). Have you regretted it or never looked back?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i have not long since changed my Tele to 8s, they were lying in the box, i dont even remember buying them but they were all i had, and i really like it 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    Wimp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so rare to sell 8's these days - I sell far more 10's than 9's - But as always each to their own and if it suits you then all well and good

Many of our hero's are in to such light gauge strings, so no issue if it suits you - Believe Billy Gibbons favours an 8 gauge and not many slate his tone 

Not sure about 8's on your Tele - for big chords you might find it to slinky, both feel and tone - But for light touch then it might be okay
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I’ve got a touch like a blacksmith, so it’s 10s all the way for me..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    No, never tried them, I have always just used adult strings.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    I already find when I hit the strings hard they go sharp on 10's... but I kind of like the dynamics of that also.
  • I believe string gauges starting with an 008 are/were used by Yngwie Malmsteen, Alex Hutchings and Allan Holdsworth, so you're in good company. I found them great for legato but they flap around a bit too much for me when picking - I suppose I'm a bit heavy handed.

It's not a competition.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Funnily enough, I've just gone up from 10's to 11's on my Gibson scale length guitars and love the difference so much I'm thinking of doing that across the board.

My right hand knows no subtlety so 8s would be a nightmare for me - what I've liked with the 11's is the lack of compression on the note, very noticeable

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I'd probably like playing them at home, but I find when I gig if I have thin strings I don't really enjoy it as much. 
  • 11's on most for me now! I can't imagine using 8's. It'd be wild bends and poor intonation all over for me! 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    9s on floyds, 10s on fender scale lengths, 11s on Gibsons and shortscales.

Just restrung an Ibanez that I REALLY enjoy playing. Assumed they were 9s, but I had to do a set up to return the bridge, and they feel "tighter", so I'm guessing it was 8s on there when I got it. Loved how easy it felt, apart from the floppy bottom E. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    usedtobe said:
    I’ve got a touch like a blacksmith, so it’s 10s all the way for me..
    I'm the same. I was starting to fall out with my Charvel San Dimas (same shape as a Strat) lately, which has been strung with 9-42 since I bought it a year ago. As a wee experiment I tried going up to 10-46 last week and the difference is night and day. So chuffed with the 10s, it's transformed the feel of the guitar and it still feels slick and fast to play. I have 10s on my SG, homebuilt "Tele" and the Charvel now and can't imagine playing anything lighter. I do press too hard and generally don't have much finesse, but this seems to work for me.

Andy
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Wimp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so rare to sell 8's these days - I sell far more 10's than 9's - But as always each to their own and if it suits you then all well and good

Many of our hero's are in to such light gauge strings, so no issue if it suits you - Believe Billy Gibbons favours an 8 gauge and not many slate his tone 

Not sure about 8's on your Tele - for big chords you might find it to slinky, both feel and tone - But for light touch then it might be okay
    Billy Gibbons actually plays on custom 7's nowadays.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Just looked this up;

Stevie Ray Vaughan .013 (.013 - .052)
    Jimi Hendrix .009 - .038 (also .010, .013, .015, .026, .032 and .038)
    Chuck Berry .008
    Jimmy Page .008, .009
    Jeff Beck .011 - .049 (also .009 - .052)
    Brian Setzer .010
    Eddie Van Halen .009 - .040
    James Hetfield .009, (also .011 - .048)
    Billy Gibbons .008
    Kirk Hammett .010 (.011 set for bottom three string)

Buddy Guy .010
    B.B. King .008 (.010 for signature set)
    Slash .011 - .048
    Tony Iommi (For D# tuning, from high to low): .008, .008, .011 (unwound), .018 .024, and .032. (For C# tuning, from high to low) .009, .010, .012 (unwound), .020, .032 and .042.
    Dimebag Darrell .011 (.009 for standard tuning)
    Mark Knopfler .009
    Gary Moore .009 (also .010)
    Eric Clapton .010 - .046
    David Gilmour .010 - .048
    Joe Perry .008, .009, or .010 (depending on guitar & tuning)

Angus Young .009
    Malcolm Young .012 - .056
    Al Dimeola .010
    Zakk Wylde .010
    Randy Rhoads .009 (also .010)
    Steve Vai .009 (also .010)
    Joe Satriani .009
    Robbie Kreiger .010
    Ace Frehley .009
    Vernon Reid .011

Marty Friedman .010
    Joe Bonamassa .011 - .052
    Albert Lee .010
    Alex Leifson .010
    Keith Richards .011 - .042
    Yngwie Malmsteen .008 - .048
    Brian May .009 - .034
    Trey Anastasio .010
    Brad Paisley .010
    Mark Tremonti .010 (.011 on bottom three)

Jerry Garcia .011
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd .010, .011, or .012
    Jerry Cantrell .010 - .046
    Alexi Laiho .010 - .056
    Eric Johnson .010 - .046
    Frank Zappa .009 - .042
    George Lynch .009, .010, or .011
    Lenny Kravitz .010 - .052
    Adrian Smith .009 - .040
    Dave Murray .009 - .040

Plus two more!

Nancy Wilson .010 - .046
    John Frusciante .010

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    9-46 for me on Fender scale (10-52 on Gibson) now after years of playing 11's and 12's.

Hand surgery in 2009 cured me of preferring heavy strings.
    8's feel too light, as do 9-42's.

The main thing is having a lighter G string (oo-er, missus).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited November 2018

I bought a set of 8s once, about 36 years ago, the first time I changed the strings on my Hamer Special.  They were Gibsons, and I later realised that it was basically a standard 9 to 42 set with an 8 for the first string (which was a bit odd).

But anyway, I distinctly remember not liking them at all.  The low tension meant the strings didn't seem to have enough energy to make the neck and body vibrate - it felt like the guitar had died!

It's been 10s ever since, although I certainly don't subscribe to the "heavier the better" theory.  I've tried 11s once or twice and didn't like them.  The 10s feel about right whether it's a 24.75" sale or 25.5" scale.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I tried 8s a few years ago - two reasons - 1) after decades of trouble with my nail separating from the nail bed (f***** painful!) I thought I'd try and make bends easier on my fingers, and 2) I had discovered Alex Hutchings and I was a big fan of the feel he gets with his playing using 8s. I normally use 9s on everything.

Put them on, played for about 15 mins. Took them off and binned them. Not for me!

I'm amazed that some people still play the macho card in terms of string gauge, seems a pretty ignorant thing if you ask me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I've tried 10's once, my fingers fatigued on the treble strings with bends way too quick. My callouses also aren't hard or don't develop much at all. Probably due to having to moisturise my hands because they're horrendously dry. 
    The added tension of 10's didnt do 

Always taken the view that I'm playing guitar for fun, and when I work out thats when I'm not having fun, but building muscles that are more pleasing to see results with. 

Then again I don't hear much difference in tone between string gauges for my style of playing. I Maybe one day I will. 

So why make it harder? 

Hybrid high 9-46 is my favourite. 
    Tension on the bass strings for chuggy riffs and fast alternate picking, but bendy enough on the highs for lots of playing without fatigue. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • axisus said:
    I'm amazed that some people still play the macho card in terms of string gauge, seems a pretty ignorant thing if you ask me.
    My post was just being silly. Folks should use whatever they find most comfortable. 

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Wolfetone said:
    Wimp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy Gibbons actually plays on custom 7's nowadays.
    Good god, he must have a touch like a feather. If I played 7's on a Gibson scale length, I don't think I'd ever strike the same note twice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom