Suggestions for modding s strat

I’ve recently picked up an early mim strat to mod  - thanks to info from @MattFGBI it seems to be an early  
“traditional” fender strat with “squier series” also on the headstock.
The neck is great - no fret wear and the body feels confortable.
Pickups (two bar magnets either side of the polepieces) are weak, cheap import switch with small 500k asian? Pots.
The tuners are virtually the same as a late chinese sunn mustang that i have from the ‘90’s, and the 6 screw trem seems to drop it out of tune whenever i touch it.
I’ll keep the 1-ply scratchplate as it has some sort of fender QC/inspection checklist sticker on the underside.
So, i dont want to too spend much on it but i would like to upgrade it.
Any suggestions for parts on a budget - tuners, trem etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The vibrato will almost certainly be made by Sung-il. It has a ridiculously slim, tapered, sustain block. Replacing this with something more substantial will bring the single greatest improvement.

Changing the bridge saddles whilst the vibrato is stripped down will also bring an improvement over the standard cast zinc items.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    I would check out axecaster or alegree for parts, I have bought tuners and a neck from axecaster and electrics including a pickup from alegree and all good dealings.

Or put an add in parts for sale in here saying what you want and people will chip in with what they have.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I went with one tone only and swapped the other pot for a blend that adds bridge pickup to neck or vice versa. Really happy with the change, nice sounds with both on or all 3 pickups
  • The vibrato will almost certainly be made by Sung-il. It has a ridiculously slim, tapered, sustain block. Replacing this with something more substantial will bring the single greatest improvement.

Changing the bridge saddles whilst the vibrato is stripped down will also bring an improvement over the standard cast zinc items.

Change the whole unit or just the block?