How to diagnose and fix toggle switch issue on Gibson pcb boards

What's Hot
I've noticed the bridge position on my toggle switch has an occasional fault resulting in no sound or almost no sound,  neck position is fine.  When this happens a quick couple of flicks of the switch clears the problem.   I've cleaned the mechanical switch contacts with some light sanding and servisol but it occasionally still occurs.   How can I diagnose the cause on these pcb boards Gibson's come with. 

2018 SG

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Rip them out and replace with traditional pots and wiring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Indeed, apologies probably not as helpful an answer as you were hoping for but a nice harness from @sixstringsupplies or @TheGuitarWeasel will not only make life a lot easier but in my experience will also make your guitar sound a lot better...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm I had thought of that idea myself but I was hoping for some insights into switches or pcb boards:)
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Hmm I had thought of that idea myself but I was hoping for some insights into switches or pcb boards:)
    Seems almost unbelievable that a 2018 guitar has a fault already. I'd be checking the toggle switch rather than the PCB, it is possible the contact of the switch has been bent out of position very slightly meaning that when in the bridge position, the metal contacts aren't coming into contact with each other. 

Sorry, I'm not too clued up on the GIbson PCB's to offer more insight than that :)
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a possibility, I'll double check although when I cleaned the contacts it seemed to be making a positive connection on the toggle positions. 

Technically it's still in warranty but I don't really fancy shipping it off somewhere for ages. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10375
    tFB Trader
    I've noticed the bridge position on my toggle switch has an occasional fault resulting in no sound or almost no sound,  neck position is fine.  When this happens a quick couple of flicks of the switch clears the problem.   I've cleaned the mechanical switch contacts with some light sanding and servisol but it occasionally still occurs.   How can I diagnose the cause on these pcb boards Gibson's come with. 

2018 SG

Cheers
    Diagnosing issues on the Gibson PCBs is a difficult proposition, that's why most folks are suggesting you convert to traditional wiring. I am not doing harnesses for the moment: firstly I'm far too busy pickup winding, and secondly component prices have gone through the roof, and there is very little profit in harnesses for me at this time.

I'd still recommend ditching the PCB ... they really are nothing but trouble. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    Normally this kind of problem is in the switch itself, but as you’ve already thoroughly investigated this I’d suspect a cold solder joint or dodgy connection somewhere in the signal path between the bridge pickup and the switch.

It should be covered under warranty.  I don’t think you need to take the guitar to the shop that sold it in order to get a warranty repair, Gibson should allow you to take it to any authorised warranty repair centre.  It’d be worthwhile checking their website for details.  Just don’t tell them you already tried to fix it ;)
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited November 2018
    I had issues with my 2016 SG Faded, and although they weren't related to the switch, ditching the PCB setup was the best thing I ever did.

I'm far from an expert, but this sounds like a problem with the switch rather than the PCB?
  • Turns out it wasn't the switch after all.  I noticed that the bridge volume pot would occasionally cut out between 9.5 and 10 on the dial but not predictably and that's what made me think it was the switch.   Cleaned out the pot with servisol and a few good twists and it works fine now.