Fender Strat jack: in pickguard or side?

What's Hot
Do any Strat models have jacks in pickguard or in the side? I've found a short scale squier and a Fender run in 1983 so far from googling. Just like the look without the angled jack.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    My Aria RS standard has the jack in the pickguard too - although it's not an exact Strat copy, it's a different shape.

If you do get one, only use a right-angle plug in it and make sure you always run the cable under the strap - otherwise it's very easy to break the pickguard if the cable gets tugged.

There are also quite a few 'superstrat' types with jacks in the side, although a lot of them use barrel jacks, which are crap and should be avoided if at all possible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Was it 1983 strats that had pickguard mounted jack sockets?
    Was it 1983 strats that had pickguard mounted jack sockets?
    Yes. The first version of the American Standard, only made in 1983 and 1984. It also had the terrible Freeflyte trem, unless you're lucky enough to find a hardtail one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Was it 1983 strats that had pickguard mounted jack sockets?
    Yes. The first version of the American Standard, only made in 1983 and 1984. It also had the terrible Freeflyte trem, unless you're lucky enough to find a hardtail one...
    recall the 83 Std Strat but can't recall a hardtail version - Certainly don't think I've ever sold/seen one
  • Thanks for info @ICBM ;

Mini strat might be nice doer-upper under guise of giving to my wee one...
    guitars4you said:

recall the 83 Std Strat but can't recall a hardtail version - Certainly don't think I've ever sold/seen one
    They're very rare, but they do exist. The bridge isn't quite the same as the old hardtail one either, it's shaped to fit the pickguard like the front of the Freeflyte.

http://www.guitarsandbasses.co.uk/prodimages/fender strat 1983.jpg

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I have a Squier Strat with jack socket in scratchplate and a MIJ System III Contemporary Strat with jack socket at side.
    Will find a pic.
    :)
  • I think some of the Squier Stagemasters have a straight jack socket in the front... just had a quick look on Bing and it looks like some of them are side-mounted too...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    guitars4you said:

They're very rare, but they do exist. The bridge isn't quite the same as the old hardtail one either, it's shaped to fit the pickguard like the front of the Freeflyte.

http://www.guitarsandbasses.co.uk/prodimages/fender strat 1983.jpg
    thanks for that - did not doubt your comment just me debating if I've seen or sold one in the past and certainly with a fading memory bank I can't recall one
  • jdgm said:
    I have a Squier Strat with jack socket in scratchplate 
    Do you know roughly what year that was made out of interest?
    Forgot to say, I think these '83 Strats look completely wrong with the jack on the guard. It's OK if the guitar design is a bit different like the Aria, or if it's a side jack - with either one tone control or two - but the jack being on the guard instead of the second tone control on a normal Strat just looks like a corner-cutting bodge... because it is.

I once converted one of these - the trem model - to a Kahler trem, which is far better than the Freeflyte, and fitted the proper teardrop jack. A vast improvement!

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited November 2018
    jdgm said:
    I have a Squier Strat with jack socket in scratchplate 
    Do you know roughly what year that was made out of interest?
    Unfortunately not though it is an 'E' series.   It was a wreck that the old singer in my band had hanging on the wall of his shed and gave to me - after some badgering!   It is an entry level one pickup, one vol control model; but the original pickup. vol pot and scratchplate were so far gone I had to replace them and put in a tone pot too as it's so trebly without.   It now has a red 'guitarheads' humbucker in and is my spare/slide guitar on the gig.   Pic should enlarge a bit if you click on it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Am I correct it believing that this was instigated by Fender as a cost cutting exercise, but quickly swapped back because everyone hated it?
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Am I correct it believing that this was instigated by Fender as a cost cutting exercise, but quickly swapped back because everyone hated it?
    Yes, although I think the main reason everyone hated it was the Freeflyte trem. That was also a cost-cutting idea, to remove the need to rout the body from both sides - but it sounded poor and was a pain in the backside to restring.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Ed O Brien Strat has an edge mounted jackplate 
    where it should be ! 
  • DrBob said:
    where it should be ! 
    That's an interesting one - will look into that. Cheers.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    DrBob said:
    where it should be ! 
    That's an interesting one - will look into that. Cheers.
    The O'Brien Strat has 2 additional controls for the sustainiac system so I think the edge mounted jack is a must
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited November 2018
    ICBM said:
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Yes, although I think the main reason everyone hated it was the Freeflyte trem. That was also a cost-cutting idea, to remove the need to rout the body from both sides - but it sounded poor and was a pain in the backside to restring.
    I remember years ago seeing one of those Freeflyte, jack-in-pickguard jobs being sold in one of the Denmark St. shops as a curio.

Bloody horrible looking thing, to my mind at least.  I suspect they may be worth a few quid now as a collectible though.
    edited November 2018
    randella said:

I remember years ago seeing one of those Freeflyte, jack-in-pickguard jobs being sold in one of the Denmark St. shops as a curio.

Bloody horrible looking thing, to my mind at least.  I suspect they may be worth a few quid now as a collectible though.
    No, not really. Less than an early 'normal' USA Standard ('84 onward), the model that immediately followed them... rightly.

If nothing else, spare parts for the Freeflyte are very hard to come by, and they are not compatible with any other trem ever made. Even just removing it to replace it with another top-mounting unit - such as a Kahler - isn't easy, as it has a unique rout in the body which needs to be filled first.

All the ones I've played have had nasty skinny v-shaped necks too.