selling a clasical guitar - j lopez bellido granada

nickpnickp Frets: 183
Hi
I've got my old (student) classical guitar that i would like to sell.  I don't know what it's worth - its a bit battered and was only a student model (bought about 35 years ago in Granada).  Although we didn't know it at the time he's quite well known so the guitar might be worth more than i might expect.

any idea who i should talk to about values and selling it - it could be worth £300 because it is what it is or be worth more because of the maker - i have no idea

thanks

nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    join the forum:
    https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/index.php
    and ask the people there
  • Hi Nick,
    I stumbled across Senor Bellido's shop in Granada about 20 years ago just wandering around the town.
    I bought a very nice all cypress flamenco students guitar from him for about £300 with case! When I got it home and did a little 
    research I found that Ivor Mairantz in London sold his instruments and I'd made a good purchase. Sold it on E Bay a few years ago and almost doubled my money. They are good all solid wood guitars. Hope this helps.
    Regards.  Mick.. 
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited November 2018
    thanks folks.  I've joined the delcam forum so thanks for that.  will go to ebay once i have some idea of value :).  all my fingerstyle stuff is now on steel strung and a mix of classical and other fingerpickery.  but i'm gassing for a Helix (oo er)
  • Do you have any pictures of the guitar? I’m not saying this is the case here, but very often student guitars in Spain are made in factories by someone else and the guitar maker then slaps their label on it.
    Do you have any pictures of the guitar? I’m not saying this is the case here, but very often student guitars in Spain are made in factories by someone else and the guitar maker then slaps their label on it.
    yep - I'll take and post.  I was there when we bought it - a pokey little shop half way up the hill to the alhambra with an old spanish geezer handing me guitars and me playing badly :)
  • nickp said:
    Do you have any pictures of the guitar? I’m not saying this is the case here, but very often student guitars in Spain are made in factories by someone else and the guitar maker then slaps their label on it.
    yep - I'll take and post.  I was there when we bought it - a pokey little shop half way up the hill to the alhambra with an old spanish geezer handing me guitars and me playing badly
    Yes unfortunately some of those shops in Granada are tourist traps designed to give the impression of a lone luthier working away when in fact they are selling factory built guitars made elsewhere.

Again no suggests this is the case here. Lopez Belido has a good reputation I believe.
  • No he has a pukka workshop with completed guitars and others under construction. There were definitely no straw donkeys, sombreros or crappy bullfight posters therein, ;)