Boss KATANA 100 vs KATANA Artist

What's Hot
KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
Morning,

I have been looking to get one of KATANA 100s for a while now, but just recently have come across with KATANA Artist.

Is it worth paying extra £ ??

(I do prefer front panel rather than the top one, but....)

Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Though I've not heard what sonic differences there could be, the uogrades lie in the speaker and the re voiced channels mainly. 

I believe the cab is also slightly bigger when I had a quick look at specs, as I considered the artist an option too.

I think the fact that the standard Katanas are such good amps for such little money makes me hesitant to spend the extra on the artist... but, it could be even better, just havent heard it yet! 

The front panel is deffo a better idea, but I don't think the artist features a tilt stand which is a shame, as I quite liked that, but its not a deal breaker, can easily make one! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Either way I'm waiting til after xmas. 

The katana 50 has gone up by £30 odd in recent months, unsure about the 100, but hopefully the Artist drops slightly!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • You might see a Black Friday sale on these....so hold out.

I would personally opt for the 100 standard 1x12 because the price point/weight/tone is perfect IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    skunkwerx said:
    Though I've not heard what sonic differences there could be, the uogrades lie in the speaker and the re voiced channels mainly. 

I believe the cab is also slightly bigger when I had a quick look at specs, as I considered the artist an option too.

I think the fact that the standard Katanas are such good amps for such little money makes me hesitant to spend the extra on the artist... but, it could be even better, just havent heard it yet! 

The front panel is deffo a better idea, but I don't think the artist features a tilt stand which is a shame, as I quite liked that, but its not a deal breaker, can easily make one! 
    Thanks skunkwerx.
    I have seen a YT video of the fella comparing Katana to Artist side by side and (to my ears) the difference in the sound is very noticeable.

As others suggested  I may wait until x-mas...
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    The Katana Artist has MIDI which the Katana 100 combo does not have so that may factor in if you use MIDI switching as part of your setup.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited November 2018
    I picked up an Artist recently, & my advice is to keep a keen eye on the second hand market. £550 for the amp/pedal is a bit heavy, but you can get both for around/under the £400 mark with a bit of patience (amp set me back £350 from Guitarguitar [used in pristine condition with tags still on it], pedal was £60 from a local seller).

While I add anything when it comes to comparing the two amps, I'm pretty impressed with the Artist so far, and definitely consider it worth it for what I spent.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    The real contest is probably more Katana Artist vs Katana Head + a cab (like the HB V30 2x12).

They are a bit closer in features, both having Midi, and both can power an external cab for when you need extra grunt.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    The real contest is probably more Katana Artist vs Katana Head + a cab (like the HB V30 2x12).

They are a bit closer in features, both having Midi, and both can power an external cab for when you need extra grunt.
    Well,

I was thinking about a 'head option' (as I have been a big fan of head+cab set up), however am also looking here for space in my bedroom as well as handling / carrying etc.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Kinioo said:

Well,

I was thinking about a 'head option' (as I have been a big fan of head+cab set up), however am also looking here for space in my bedroom as well as handling / carrying etc.
    Well then audition the 50w as well, it's really portable and light.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...