Charlie Christian pickups on a Tele...

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
edited November 2018 in Guitar
I have a USA Standard Tele, which is currently up for sale, as there's a nice 1978 model (mint condition, hang tags, case, etc) turning up in a couple of days which I've taken as a trade. The Tele that I'm selling (just had a magnificently low offer (not on here) from one of the 'usual suspects'!) is a bit of a reluctant sale, so I was thinking about a Charlie Christian pickup or pickups. My existing Tele (below) is in mint condition, so in one way it seems a shame to mod it, but I do like the CC sound. Anyone have any experience of these pickups, and/or recommendations as to which might be best? Lollar is the name I see most associated with these pickups, but any thoughts based on previous experience? Thanks in advance. 

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm looking at a set of Mojo's.
    I love the way the distort (even on a clean amp with tonnes of head room) and the harmonic content you get out of them.

A cc neck pickup on that tell will be hidden by the guard. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Bridge is a different story but would you really want to lose the bridge pickip sound on a tele?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Thanks for that - to be honest, the bridge pickup is normally unchartered territory for me on any guitar, so I don't suppose it would make all that much difference if I left the existing one well alone. After all, the CC sound was only from a neck pickup, of course. 
    Call me Dave.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Try this:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-humbucker-pickups/charlie-christian-for-humbucker-route

Much less effort than a traditional CC.
    They pretty low in output.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Fender released a limited edition pine Tele that had a Lollar CC in the neck last year... at the very least it can give you some idea of sonics...

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited November 2018
    Thanks all - I didn't know that Fender had brought one out - to be honest, I can't hear much of the tone that I was expecting to hear in those demos. Tim Lerch on a Tele with Lollar CC pickups sounds great, though. It would be worth trying to track one, I reckon.
    Call me Dave.
  • Whitecat said:
    Fender released a limited edition pine Tele that had a Lollar CC in the neck last year... at the very least it can give you some idea of sonics...

One of those hit the shelves in the store where I teach a few months ago, despite a rather large price tag it sold in days.  I never got a chance to play or hear it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Whitecat said:

One of those hit the shelves in the store where I teach a few months ago, despite a rather large price tag it sold in days.  I never got a chance to play or hear it.
    I have one of the Strats from the same run (so same woods) - it's an absolutely excellent instrument. The Tele I'm sure is equally as good.
  • I'm sure you're aware, but Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe does a lot of custom work and offers CCs as HBs, P90s and floaters. I keep backing out of committing to one as I'm not unhappy with my sounds, but they do look beautiful.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    danowens said:
    I'm sure you're aware, but Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe does a lot of custom work and offers CCs as HBs, P90s and floaters. I keep backing out of committing to one as I'm not unhappy with my sounds, but they do look beautiful.
    Wound with 42 AWG, not the thick wire necessary for CC pickups though.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    Or there's CC Pickups, made in the UK and good enough for Slaman guitars.