Glazing/ upvc hinge quote?

What's Hot
Ello all. 

Thought I'd post here before to see what you reckon before I decide what to do! 

So the top hinge of the left hand side window is bent to buggary, window won't close. 

I pictured the right hand side one, as I've managed to jam the left hand one half shut.. 

I can buy a hinge from screwfix but being a simpleton I have no idea really except measure the length of the part that attaches to the frame and or window and see if it fits. 

Being on my own, any advice on how I would hold the window up or support it with the top hinge off? 

The real question to weigh up is if I can be arsed with the probable headache I'll give myself by diy vs how much is it likely to cost if I just called a bloke in? 

Secondly here is the full window. Tbh the whole thing is flimsy and drafty, each side window never closes with a nice seal so there are consant drafts.
Tried the sticky seal strips you can buy for this purpose but none of them are actually thick enough to fill the gap that must be present between window and frame.  

Its definitely 20 years old, as thats how long I've been here. Maybe all the hinges are just bent slightly or things have just become warped or twisted or whatever. 

What do you think a whole new like for like window + frame replacement is likely to cost? 

Without dimensions I guess its harder to say.. 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Is it a straight window or bay? Bays cost a lot more. 

If its draughty then all the hinges are likely to be shot and it’s probably worth getting a complete replacement window. My advice, get a few quotes from local firms, don’t bother with the big national companies  
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    boogieman said:

If its draughty then all the hinges are likely to be shot and it’s probably worth getting a complete replacement window. My advice, get a few quotes from local firms, don’t bother with the big national companies  
    Cheers for the reply mate. 

Its just a straight window. 

A replacement is probably on the cards at some point anyway, no doubt it would improve the rooms heat retention and lower outside ambience too, but also small sections do get misty inbetween the panes sometimes. 

Will have a look and get some quotes then I reckon.

Aye the big firms seem to always advertise complete house packages, which is a no no.. its just this one thats a real issue haha 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    skunkwerx said:
    boogieman said:

Cheers for the reply mate. 

Its just a straight window. 

A replacement is probably on the cards at some point anyway, no doubt it would improve the rooms heat retention and lower outside ambience too, but also small sections do get misty inbetween the panes sometimes. 

Will have a look and get some quotes then I reckon.

Aye the big firms seem to always advertise complete house packages, which is a no no.. its just this one thats a real issue haha 
    It’s more that the big firms never give you a straight quote. They’ll come up with a stupid initial figure then drop it “if you sign up today” or they’ll do the “ I’ll need to speak to my manager” or “I can get you a special discount if you put up an advertising board” bullshit. It’ll still be overpriced after all the negotiations, the reps work on commission so they’ll screw as much as possible out of you.

Local companies will usually just give you a straight quote. See if you can get some word of mouth recommendations too, they’re usually the best option. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited November 2018
    skunkwerx said:
     but also small sections do get misty inbetween the panes sometimes.
    If the panes are misting up on the inside (between the two sheets of glass) this means that the glazing unit has failed - the seal around the edge is leaking and there's no longer a vacuum between the two glass sheets which allows moisture in.

It's not the end of the world if you're going for a replacement anyway, and the failure of the seal won't make a whole load of difference to the window's performance.  It'll just look misty.  I've got a bunch that need replacing at mine for the same reason.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    ~ £400 - £500 fitted around here there’s lots of small UPVC companies that manufacture themselves and are happy to do one offs.

The more openings you have the more expensive it is - if you don’t need three openings go for a different configuration to keep the costs down:
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Between £6-£11.  Surely got to be the first port of call

https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-ironmongery/window-hinges/cat841002 

There are only 7 to choose from & the sizes vary considerably, so it should be easy to select the correct one.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    duotone said:

There are only 7 to choose from & the sizes vary considerably, so it should be easy to select the correct one.

Yep.

I had a couple of hinges go and replaced them myself. It's a very easy job. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I knew a bloke who bought a new car cos his battery went flat.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Neil said:
    duotone said:

Yep.

I had a couple of hinges go and replaced them myself. It's a very easy job. 
    Cool, thats my first port of call anyway. 

Was one bottom hinge enough to keep the window in place? 

Thats my only real concern, that the whole thing falls overboard.. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    call out one of the upvc window doctor companies ......they will have the hinge(most are generic) a few gaskets etc and probably overhaul the whole bay for £150 in a couple of hours
    job done and very little hassle
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Don't changed the window, most if it is fixable.
    We've just had a glazing unit, 2 hinges, and a latch replaced in a fairly big living room window.
    £198 all in, including a good looking at all the other bits, versus who knows how much for the whole thing.
    The frame is fine and sealed well into the stonework, why disturb it?