Acoustic guitar side-bending jig query

Greetings folks,

I'm getting well on the way with my double-neck ukulele build, and last night had the dubious pleasure of hand-bending the hornbeam sides on a bending iron. It took me around 2 1/2 hrs, about 2hrs longer than it should, and there are many flat spots, non-conforming curves and scorch marks (these will hopefully sand out or be lacquered over). The net result is that I've been trying to research side bending jigs in order to remove a degree of user error.

Can anyone suggest a place in UK to purchase the necessary bits? The springs, screw-thread, heating blanket (plus controller) and spring steel slats?

Many thanks,

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    You still struggle to find one in the UK.
    Save yourself a lot of hassle and get the Luthiers Mercantile one, it is an excellent bit of kit.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

I had a horrible feeling that may be the case. Looking at the LMII site, its going to be the best part of £6-700 I reckon, with shipping and import costs. Not sure I can stomach that at the moment!

Ive built up the O'Brien/LMII neck-joint jig, relatively easily, and hoped I'd be able to do the same for the side-bender.

Cheers,

Adam

• DM1DM1 Frets: 12
    I got one from a chap called "martswood" on ebay a couple of years ago. He is in Worcester. I'll see if I can find his details.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the suggestion Dave - pm replied to.

Adam

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    My friend made fox benders when i was at college and he had to source all the seperate parts, having done my first 2 on a bending iron I'll be using a fox bender from now on

Unless you do alot of acoustic making you won't get really skilled on a bending iron imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)

Thanks for the input. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy one. Perhaps next year. I am sure I could source all the bits and make one, but sometimes it's a lot less hassle to let someone else do that part.

Do you find it's easy enough to make up different formers though? As I would plan on making different shaped acoustics, and that was what sold me on the bending iron originally (as well as using the Cumpiano free-standing method).

Cheers,

Adam

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:

Thanks for the input. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy one. Perhaps next year. I am sure I could source all the bits and make one, but sometimes it's a lot less hassle to let someone else do that part.

Do you find it's easy enough to make up different formers though? As I would plan on making different shaped acoustics, and that was what sold me on the bending iron originally (as well as using the Cumpiano free-standing method).

Cheers,

Adam

i make the formers out of mdf, I'd have to make the first one to whatever shape your doing then route the rest, I'll see if i can get another acoustic done at some point if I've got time, i haven't made one in years now, it's a great skill and I'd have to try and remember what I'm supposed to be doing now
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)