PMT Bristol - any good?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
I'm taking a trip to Brizzle next week (for an evening of Marshall blasting while a friend's neighbours are away!) and I thought I might drop into PMT I'm the afyernoon (otherwise I'll be on Bristol approaches in rush hour - fuck that) 

I'll take the opportunity to try the PowerCab if they have one in - anything else especially worth looking at there? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's an ok shop but lacks any character, no disrespect to the sales stuff but they never really seem to offer much knowledge on the products. They have a decent selection of gear in there though and seem happy to let you jam on stuff.
    personally I'd head towards some independents, Electric Ladyland being my favourite although it's about as off grid as you can get. 

Feel free to pm me if you want to know more! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    always a disappointment
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I bought an MXR 108 Mini there the other week and the guy I dealt with was really good. Ended up trying a Fuzz War too on his recommendation. Too big for my board, but he was keen for me to experience it anyway. Young guy. They're always happy for me to grab boxes for shipping too
  • Like @darcym I'm always underwhelmed when I go there. I think I don't like tall guitar walls. All the interesting stuff is up by the ceiling. I went in there a while back hoping to try a Powercab too. They didn't have one at the time but I think they might have now. I really wanted to compare it with the Headrush FRFR that is nice and cheap, 2 inputs, very powerful and would double as a PA/solo performer amp.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5729
    I think for a big box shifter, they’re excellent. 

If you go at a peak time, it’s pointless but if you go when there is time and space, I find the staff look after you really well. 

Always happy to price match UK internet prices too. 
  • Just a shame they don't have a booth in there so you can try out kit without being asked to turn it immediately down which makes the whole point of trying it out pointless :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5729
    Just a shame they don't have a booth in there so you can try out kit without being asked to turn it immediately down which makes the whole point of trying it out pointless :(
    They have a couple. If you’re checking out an amp, they should definitely be offering you one. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Mixed bag depends who you deal with. Lee who is normally in the acoustic section is excellent and looks after you really well even when you make it perfectly clear you’re not buying right now which is nice. 

But even in the middle of a weekday you normally cant hear yourself think in there which doesn’t help you try and assess anything. They have a couple of quiet spaces but they’re very small and often occupied. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    I've had decent experiences in there - been in a handful of times. The first time was trying a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe where I was in the main area and some kid to the right of me was playing metal on a semi hollow through a Mesa Boogie. Once when trying out other amps they put me in a booth room which was pretty cool. The most recent time I was in there, I tried out a Data Corrupter and the guy was really helpful and gave me his contact card if I had any more questions. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    mesatele said:
    Like @darcym I'm always underwhelmed when I go there. I think I don't like tall guitar walls. All the interesting stuff is up by the ceiling. I went in there a while back hoping to try a Powercab too. They didn't have one at the time but I think they might have now. I really wanted to compare it with the Headrush FRFR that is nice and cheap, 2 inputs, very powerful and would double as a PA/solo performer amp.
    Sounds much like PMT Portsmouth, the thing that annoys me the most about it though is that isn't in Portsmouth its in Farlington several miles away.
  • I like it, the staff I've dealt with have known their stuff, were pleasant, not pushy, set me up in the test room to blast a Katana once, only got one death stare through the glass :)

Good selection of stock as well.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Went in yesterday - it was a positive experience. 

I was really impressed with the size and the amount of stock (always feels like that when in a big place - Swindon has nothing like it) - lots of stuff I'd have tried out of idea curiosity had I had much more time.

I went in to do 2 things:
    1. Compare a Line 6 Powercab to a Yamaha DXR10 with a Helix - the guy who helped me was happy to go grab a DXR and plug it in next to the Line 6 display

2. Play a Katana and a Blues Cube side by side - one of the amp rooms had both in so that was nice and easy too. 

Shop was nice and big, seemed to have loads of staff, and the guy who served me seemed happy to let me do as I wished - a positive experience :-) 

Only little oddity was how atrociously the Episode Dot I used to try stuff was set up - I can't imagine anyone buying it with the highest action I've ever experienced on any guitar ever! 

But yeah - PMT - pretty good :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I've been there a couple of times and has good experiences. Bought a les Paul from there years back and spent ages trying out a strat. Staff were friendly and helpful. 
    Parking is pants outside but there is a multistorey next door
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Bought a tele from PMT Manchester yesterday, they matched a competitors price. My nearest guitar shop is Dawson, who are totally rigid on prices. It was worth traveling the distance for a great deal for a fine guitar.
  • dazzajl said:
    Just a shame they don't have a booth in there so you can try out kit without being asked to turn it immediately down which makes the whole point of trying it out pointless :(
    They have a couple. If you’re checking out an amp, they should definitely be offering you one. 
    Nope they didn't. They just told me to turn it down to whisper volumes. To which I put the guitar down and walked out. Ridiculous :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/