Agile guitars, any good?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
http://www.rondomusic.com/septor827mncpblueflame.html
Double cutaway, light weight, mahogany, arch top body with gloss finish27" scale, 3 piece, maple, bolt-on neck with 15” radius.Maple fretboard with no markers - position markers are located on the side of the neck24 Jumbo frets

Anyone heard of or played any Agile instruments? They seem to be fairly good value...
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    yep,   few years back on a USA forum Mags and I used to frequent - quite a few guys had them and really rated them.

I do also believe that our very own Dilbert has a LP copy......... and it is by all accounts a cracker
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    There's loads of threads about them on Sevenstring.org, they're a great deal in America but it's possibly not as good an idea in the UK - there's no distributors over here (part of why they're so cheap is because they sell direct) so you'd have to import - so budget in extra (LOTS extra) for shipping and customs.

The other thing is quality control - they're very cheap and usually they're pretty good, but there are plenty of reports of duff ones as well. In the US, again, this isn't as much of a problem as they offer a very good return policy, but the ballache that would cause over here is considerably greater. Couple of things to think about if you're wanting to take the plunge!

They do have some very cool stuff though, some pretty compelling prices on really nice-looking 7s and 8s, even multi-scale guitars (you try finding another fanned-fret for that kind of price!).

If you're looking for a cheap 8-string in this country, though, Ibanez would be my first and last port of call.

Bit more boring admittedly, but so much easier to get hold of, and probably a better instrument at that. Nothing to stop you modding it and making it look seriously cool as well - it's not a bad-looking guitar to start with (looks best in white).
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I have an aunt and uncle in america. so if i order a guitar or amp, it gives them an excuse to take a trip over and I (in theory) get shipping for $80. I don't really want to go for active pickups seeing as I'll be using her for clean and crunch Jazz/blues rock. rather than the metal that Actives are suited for ;)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Yeah I have one of the spalted rootbeer LP type 3000 type

It is a really great guitar very solid, laquer is maybe a bit thick but otherwise pretty nice guitar and good sound.
    Old Is Gold
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited August 2013
    Bucket said:
    There's loads of threads about them on Sevenstring.org, they're a great deal in America but it's possibly not as good an idea in the UK - there's no distributors over here (part of why they're so cheap is because they sell direct) so you'd have to import - so budget in extra (LOTS extra) for shipping and customs.

The other thing is quality control - they're very cheap and usually they're pretty good, but there are plenty of reports of duff ones as well. In the US, again, this isn't as much of a problem as they offer a very good return policy, but the ballache that would cause over here is considerably greater. Couple of things to think about if you're wanting to take the plunge!
    +1- on ultimate guitar and other more USA-centric guitar forums a lot of people have them, too. I've never tried one, but i suspect VAT/customs/shipping etc. would bump the price up to the point where there's, er, not much point.
  • Like everyone else I think they look great, but not good enough to import. If you can get one sent to a relative in the states and get it home again without additional charges it may be a good buy. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'm a member over at Basschat and there was quite a fuss over the "SX" branded basses from Rondo Music a couple of years ago. At the time a lot of guys on the forum ordered from there and the feedback on the service (and the instruments) was generally pretty good, so I think they'd be ok to do business with if anyone is taking the plunge!
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    I've got a 3000 series LP copy which I think is a decent guitar. I got it sent to a friend in the states & brought it back with me. At the time I bought it, the cost was less than the personal import threshold (£389??), so no tax or VAT to pay.

If buying from the UK, I think you have to pay for a case (I don't think Kurt at Rondo will ship internationally without) and shipping and tax and VAT on the total, so it mounts up. If you take into account the possibility of damage in transit or other hassles, it's probably not worth it for a LP copy, but maybe for some of the more esoteric stuff...?
  • Check eBay. Occasionally, you get some beauts come up and they don't command silly money. A lot of UK folks who do go through the hassle to import them go top spec for value for money. I saw a fanned fret 7 string with quilt cap and a pair of emgs sell for 450 quid, which is good value for that instrument.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10342
    tFB Trader
    I had an LP copy come through the workshop for pickups about six months ago. That particular one was about on a par with the best Vintage V100s ... with pickups and tuners that were a little better than Wilkinson fitted to Vintage. The one I had through had typical nasty pots (again like a Vintage) and a veneer top rather than a cap ... but still sounded quite nice. I've seen a couple come up on e bay UK second hand ... where I think they'd be worth a punt ... as someone else has taken the hit of importing them. But I don't think I'd try and buy one new.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

I had an Agile AL3100 - loved it.

The AL3000 and higher numbers are all worth keeping an eye out for.

I occasionally see 7 & 8 string Agiles for sale over here but don't know if the quality is a match for the AL series.

Tuscany guitars are