Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most Underrated Albums

What's Hot

Comments

• Axe Victim - Be Bop Deluxe 
    Excellent album. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you like speed rock, soaring vocals and simply stunning solos, check out Thundersteel and Priveledge of Power by Riot.

A 70s band that reinvented themselves, the albums are stunning. Mark Reale had cerebral palsy and died a few years back, but he was a player who weaved melody into tasty fast playing. Seriously good player.

if it’s not your genre, I’d probably not bother!!
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited November 2018
    Arjailer said:

Speaking of which, my underrated album(s) would be two from that alt/indie phase:

Dark Star - Twenty Twenty Sound

8 Storey Window

Two fantastic albums - never met anyone else that had heard of them.
    I have - Dark Star was Terry Bickers wasn't it? Levitation were a terrific band but the album had a terrible production. 

Dark Star were the core of Levitation without Terry Bickers - though Terry was involved in 8 Storey Window (produced and played on some tracks on the album), so I guess I covered that base too  smiley 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    A lot of these suggestions, to my mind, are for the ‘never got the exposure they deseved’ category. A list that is almost endless sadly. 

The one at at the top of my list for getting plenty of exposure, being almost universally disliked and I still love to play is Never Say Die - Black Sabbath. 

Could have been Hot Space - Queen, but that’s probably more a guilty pleasure. If such a thing existed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    dazzajl said:

Could have been Hot Space - Queen, but that’s probably more a guilty pleasure.
    I really tried to like that, but I failed. It was a brave move for them, but I don't think it worked - apart from Under Pressure and Las Palabras de Amor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    dazzajl said:
    The one at at the top of my list for getting plenty of exposure, being almost universally disliked and I still love to play is Never Say Die - Black Sabbath. 
    It's not a great album, but I think Johnny Blade is one of their best ever tracks.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited November 2018
    you probably only know of The Pretty Things cos Bowie covered them on Pinups, but their 1970 LP Parachute showed what a good all round rock (Psych Rock )band they were...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Decent album, but I prefer SF Sorrow and the singles from around 67/68 (Walking Through My Dreams, Defecting Grey etc).  Also love the R&B/Freakbeat years like this from 1966:

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue
    Be seeing you.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Chuck Prophet - Balinese Dancer. I haven't heard anything better by him. Gorgeous songs and such tasteful playing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Good call on the Pretty Things. SF Sorrow a great, if maybe 'of its time', piece. Great band. 

Others:

The Zombies - odessey and Oracle
    22-20s 
    Little Barrie - king of the waves 
    Ride - Carnival of Light (hated by the fans and even the band at the time but I like it. Jon Lord's even on it!)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Axe Victim - Be Bop Deluxe 
    Excellent album. :)
    A fine, fine musician!
    I saw him at Manchester Poly on the "Quit dreaming and get on the beam" tour.

My favourite Be Bop Delux song.

And something more recent...

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    edited November 2018
    I liked Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds a good bit when that came out waaay back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shugz said:
    Good call on the Pretty Things. SF Sorrow a great, if maybe 'of its time', piece. Great band. 

Others:

The Zombies - odessey and Oracle
    22-20s 
    Little Barrie - king of the waves 
    Ride - Carnival of Light (hated by the fans and even the band at the time but I like it. Jon Lord's even on it!)

Cheers
    Hugh
    Yep Odessey and Oracle is an absolute classic. 
  • Axe Victim is deffo a good album :)

and, possibly overlooked by some guitarists, I'd like to vote for Neil Giraldo's work on the Pat Benatar albums (lucky bastard also got to marry her but that's another thing)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Fifty9 said:
    I liked Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds a good bit when that came out waaay back

Wiz awarded. A much better album than anyone else in GNR has put out since UYI, as the saying goes, there ain't no money up the dusty end, the gold is with the songwriter.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    I seem to like Canadian bands for some 
    reason, i also seem to like most 70's music, i think it was the best decade for all music really, blues, funk, rock and pop, it had it all

The guess who,  bacman cummings kale peterson,  running down the street is just fantastic imo, burton cummings voice is just sublime, not many better vocals ever and love listening to his voice
    The trews, no time for later, great album
    The sheepdogs, learn and burn

I forgot this, great album start to finish for me and not sure if she did anymore

Noora Noor  Soul Deep 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

I stand to be corrected on this one, but my impression is that the Motörhead album Another Perfect Day is not highly regarded.

I really liked it at the time, and still think there are some great tracks on there.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Mine would have to be, The Soft Boys -Underwater Moonlight, The Rain Parade - Emergency Third Rail Power Trip and Explosions in the Glass Palace. I also own Dark Star - Twenty Twenty Sound (but I'm not Grocer_Jack)
    Link to my trading feedback