I like this.

What's Hot
I'm thinking of buying this but being a conplete beginner knowing nothing about guitars i need your advice.Is it worth making an offer.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spear-Gladius-Electric-Guitar/192715975637?hash=item2cdec46bd5:g:zuAAAOSwzHFb4sg5:rk:1:pf:0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    No. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    To elaborate, it's a beaten up piece of no-name crap with a dodgy incomplete tremelo and no strings, so you can't check action, straightness, or even whether it works. 

Fifty quid, absolute tops, and even that's taking a risk. 

Not having strings on it is always bullshit, like those ten grand Harleys you see 'just needs clutch cable'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Also if you're a complete beginner you probably want to stay away from Floyd Rose equipped guitars .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 328
    edited November 2018
    Shameless plug alert.....

You'd be far better off buying my Ibanez Ghostrider off’ve here  =)
    I love my brick
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    What the others already said. Avoid at any price.

They were £369 new, so £265 would be pushing it even in perfect condition and including that crap case. £150 would be more realistic in that state even if it was fully playable, and problems with this sort of guitar can be expensive or economically impossible to fix - it doesn’t have a replaceable neck, unlike most other superstrat-type guitars. I wouldn’t even pay £50 for it without a proper assessment with strings on since the scrap parts value is probably less than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    You certainly did the right thing asking for advice on here though. If you've got a couple of hundred quid to spend visit a guitar shop and try a few out, there's plenty of decent guitars in that price range.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    There's also a tonne of guitars you could get brand new for less that would be better quality.

Go to your local guitar shop, explain that you're looking to start playing and they will help you try a few out, don't worry if you can't play anything no one will care.

If you find one you like in the store but don't want to commit there and then ask again on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    edited November 2018
    Yep... avoid anything with a complex trem with first starting out. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4160
    edited November 2018
    If it's the looks that attracted you to that guitar, this is very similar, and slightly less money:

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/ibanez-rg421-mol-mahogany-oil-finish.htm

Much nicer headstock, too! Alternatively, have a look at the classifieds on here - the Ghost rider that @Stavros is selling is a great guitar.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    The ad starts "up for grabs", so it's a no from me. Seller pretending they're doing you a favour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    pmbomb said:
    The ad starts "up for grabs", so it's a no from me. Seller pretending they're doing you a favour.
    I'm not sure I see it like that. I often start mine with "Up for grabs" out of habit. If anything, they're doing me a favour by buying it. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Spear - dirt cheap guitars.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    King85 said:
    There's also a tonne of guitars you could get brand new for less that would be better quality.

Go to your local guitar shop, explain that you're looking to start playing and they will help you try a few out, don't worry if you can't play anything no one will care.

If you find one you like in the store but don't want to commit there and then ask again on here.
    One thing I'd like to add to this advice is:

Just because you go there and try a few don't feel like you have to buy one of them.  As a complete noob that put me off trying things for a while because I felt there would be a pressure to purchase simply because I'd shown an interest in something. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    joetele said:
    pmbomb said:
    I'm not sure I see it like that. I often start mine with "Up for grabs" out of habit. If anything, they're doing me a favour by buying it. 
    could be I read too much into word choice, wouldn't be the first time!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Paul7926 said:
    King85 said:

One thing I'd like to add to this advice is:

Just because you go there and try a few don't feel like you have to buy one of them.  As a complete noob that put me off trying things for a while because I felt there would be a pressure to purchase simply because I'd shown an interest in something. 
    Very true, any decent shop won't pressure sell you.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    "Boring but practical" alert.

I wish to remind the OP that the money just "saved" by not purchasing the Spear RG-alike would be better invested on upgrades for the Gretsch Electromatic Jet Whatever discussed in one of his other threads.

The alternative (again) is to sell or exchange the Gretsch with a view to purchasing something more suitable.

sticker said:
    if you're a complete beginner, you probably want to stay away from Floyd Rose equipped guitars.
    Hell, yeah ... especially budget "licensed under FR patents" versions.

If it's the looks that attracted you to that guitar, this is very similar, and slightly less money:

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/ibanez-rg421-mol-mahogany-oil-finish.htm

Much nicer headstock, too! Alternatively, have a look at the classifieds on here - the Ghost rider that @Stavros is selling is a great guitar.
    +1 for fixed bridge Ibanez RG and RGA models. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • One to avoid. You could do a lot better having a look at some new Harley Benton guitars. They usually arrive pretty well set up and make good value starter instruments.