How to apprach a potentially awkward subject with other guitarist?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'd tell him, but don't be a dick about it. I'd want my other guitarist (if I was in a 2 guitar band) to tell me if it was the other round. If you leave it can you live with it for a prolonged period?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 4286
    Or to play devils advocate (and I should stress this is exaggerated to give some perspective) ....in an originals band no one in the audience gives a flying fuck about the guitar tone anyway so what does it matter?

I say that as someone in an originals band btw :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 353
    Tape a rehearsal and listen back ..he will probably realise himself that way 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 596
    If all was equal, then being diplomatic would be fine. However, you're the new guy, so if it was me I'd let it lie for a bit. If it's an atrocious problem, then it will present itself fully at some point then it will be dealt with.

I have a similar situation at the moment where there's this new guitarist that's joined our band, and he's a great player, but his tone is like an ice pick, cuts though everything. Oh wait....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 683
    Never been in a band, is it considered I'll manners to adjust his amp and tone controls while he's playing? 

A simple "there we go, that's better" would surely go down really well?  :open_mouth: 

I work alone. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 1004
    Maybe it says more about me than anything else, but...  If an original music band doesn't talk to each other and discuss how things are put together, then it will probably never achieve anything that makes them all happy as 3/4/5 egos with their own, unshared, thoughts play in splendid isolation doing their own thing and wishing the others would be more sympathetic to their own ideas and playing.

That's why some bands only improve after getting a producer (old school, not someone with a deck and a laptop) in to help them. It's a counselling job, sometimes - pointing out the obvious to people so everyone else can keep their hands clean.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 33359
    I wouldn’t do anything - just use a sound which complements and contrasts with his. Unless he’s loud enough to make the whole mix muddy, I would take it as an opportunity to use his sound as a canvas on which to project your clearer, more defined parts. Two-guitar bands work best when the guitar sounds are very different from each other, unless you’re specifically going for a Thin Lizzy-type twin-lead thing.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 1004
    ICBM said:
    I wouldn’t do anything - just use a sound which complements and contrasts with his. Unless he’s loud enough to make the whole mix muddy, I would take it as an opportunity to use his sound as a canvas on which to project your clearer, more defined parts. Two-guitar bands work best when the guitar sounds are very different from each other, unless you’re specifically going for a Thin Lizzy-type twin-lead thing.
    This might work if you (the OP) can accept it. The risk I can see is the other guitarist decides to change his parts as a result, because he prefers something else in his head. Then you're back where you started - sounding like a band that never talks about how to complement (and compliment!) each other! 

It's enough to make you become a solo performer...   ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Don't ignore it, it will not go away.
    maybe have a chat with other members about the sound/tones... they may all be thinking you are too bright and the two of you need to meet in the middle.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 1583
    I certainly wouldn't be adverse to some advice that would make me sound better, just put a positive spin on it:

"great riff!  I think it would be better with less gain so it comes through clearer, that way everyone would be better able to hear how great it is"

Also be open to the idea that you may be wrong too, it may sound better as it is so when you go though the process have the rest of the band there too for comment
    Do me a favour and like this:

https://www.facebook.com/MarkedCoversBand
  • It's got to be addressed. I'd tread carefully without bullshitting him. As has been said bands that don't talk about HOW to improve...don't improve. It means everyone has to open their ears and keep their egos in check. Difficult eh? 
    I've been on both ends of this conversation but only realised how important it is to be able to give feedback AND take it on the chin when I started playing with pros. A real eye-opener, but you don't half improve fast. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 583
    I think you've sometimes got to get to know people a bit before you can know how best to try and influence. It may be that he won't want to listen, and if he is lead vocals then you might have to decide if you'd rather bite your tongue or risk no longer being in the band - All depends if that would bother you or not.

Usually I can tell if somebody is going to be able to cope with constructive criticism or not once I know them. If they can't then I'll find it difficult to be involved if there's something that bugs me, and would only carry on if I was really really keen.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 1080
    A long lead or wireless lets you take a stroll out onto the floor and hear the sound...
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 467
    Help him set up his gear, then turn down the bass when he's not looking
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 14087
    Hattigol said:
    Have sex with his girlfriend. He'll soon be gone.
    Actually his wife is gorgeous so...........
    So shag her too. 

And him, if necessary. 

No point being squeamish. 
    Be your own evil twin. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 19114
    Start using an even more extreme version of his sound - and when he mentions it, say ‘You started it’.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13562
    edited November 10
    ESBlonde said:
    Record the live sound and get everyone to critique thier own sound and suggest ways to improve it for the sake of the band.
    Puts everyone on an even footing and gets the subject broached and out in the open. Don't be the one to say 'that sounds shit', rather what can we do to improve our live sound chaps.

I tried that once with a guitarist who was just terrible.  I thought it might have been because he couldn't hear himself clearly over the din of the rest of us, so I multi-tracked a practice session and gave copies to everyone for them to listen to their parts.
    He listened to his and - to my horror - declared "I thought it was pretty good !".  He was frequently playing a semitone flat.
    He got the push shortly afterwards.

Birds are meant to fly free...  Open every cage you see.

https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/caged-birds/