The early years at Fender - Don Randall interview + factory tour - Very enlightening

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
in Guitar tFB Trader
https://reverb.com/uk/news/fenders-don-randall-offers-revisionist-take-on-leo-cbs-and-the-compnays-early-days-bacons-archive

Watch this if you have any interest whatsoever in the early days of the Fender guitar company - Make sure you watch all 7 mins of the video clip - Enlightening
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited November 2018
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  - did not see that - thanks - Mark
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 682
    edited November 2018
    I read all 3 of those interviews yesterday. Regardless of the tittle-tattle, there's some really interesting information in there as someone who loves Fenders - particularly CBS era oddities.

Interesting that Don says quality didn't suffer at all under CBS while Dan says the factory was making only 8 out of several hundred guitars that were able to pass QC!
    tFB Trader

Interesting that Don says quality didn't suffer at all under CBS while Dan says the factory was making only 8 out of several hundred guitars that were able to pass QC!
    There was a big difference between the early years of pre-CBS than in the mid/late 70's and early 80's when Dan came on board

Granted initial changes during the mid/late 60's, straight after the buy out, regarding a few spec and designs but nothing that is a serious decline in actual quality control - Granted not everyone liked some of the new spec/features, from 65 to 69/70 but the actual QC had not gone down south at this stage - Remember not all pre-CBS models are hunky dory and during the golden era Fender found issues that had to be corrected, like the single ply scratchplates warping

But once shipping numbers went up, and the total new design of the 70's Strat came into place, then yes a serious decline in QC, spec etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You know, I had a think about that after I wrote it. You'd argue 66/67 would still be "desirable" years for want of a better word - pre-poly if, you like!

Hands down best Jazzmaster I ever played was a 67 targetburst. Absolutely glorious. And I do love those block necks :)
    tFB Trader
    You know, I had a think about that after I wrote it. You'd argue 66/67 would still be "desirable" years for want of a better word - pre-poly if, you like!

Hands down best Jazzmaster I ever played was a 67 targetburst. Absolutely glorious. And I do love those block necks :)
    You could seriously make a strong case for a 64 Strat and 66 Strat are effectively the same guitar - I suppose the first noticeable change was the large headstock - But Jimi ensured this remained popular, but certainly no noticeable QC issue s from 64 to 66/67

Today we pick up on other changes like the poly finish, neck shape, pick-up, but at the time it was never marketed as 'the best Strat ever' etc - It was just another year and another guitar, so the 'negative' issues kicked in at  afar later date

On a Jag or Jazzmaster the binding and inlays changed, but again QC was the same for 64 and 66/67

The buyout will always be linked to  the end of the 'golden era' - But not all old guitars are good
    tFB Trader
    I found the video most interesting - how simple and basic

No health and safety - bare chest - no masks in the spray booth