I think I've got this small amps thing all wrong -maybe there isn't an amp that does home AND gigs!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 119
I got sick of lugging the big amps round and wanted to downsize.

So I got a 15w Terror thinking it'll cover both bases.

It sounds great, but I'm starting to realise that a 15 watt amp is still probably too powerful for the house, and I'm pushing it too hard at gigs. Nothing wrong with the amp at all, its just the style I play.

So now I'm thinking that maybe I've been looking at it all wrong. Maybe there isn;t an amp thats small enought for home and big enough for gigs. Maybe I'm better off with a home practice amp (maybe something like yamaha THR10) and a bigger amp for gigs.

It'd be great to have an amp that can do both, but I'm wondering if there just isn't one, and I should look at having a home practice amp AND a gigging amp instead.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 1415
    How about one with switchable output? My Vox AC15 is loud enough for gigs and can be dropped to 7.5 watts for home. 

Think the Roland Blues Cube drops right down to 0.5 watts.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 158
    Didn't you get the Brent Hinds?  Hasn't it got the headroom/bedroom switch on the back?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 1583
    What you need is a JCM800 ;)
    Do me a favour and like this:

https://www.facebook.com/MarkedCoversBand
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • <insert standard forum Katana related advice>

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 683
    My Yerasov has a volume knob.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 33359
    A Mesa Trem-o-verb does both very nicely, or anything in between.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 616
    edited November 8
    If you have an audio interface, Mercuriall Spark plugin does an awesome JCM800 and AFD model. It's the best digital solution I've tried for those sounds, and the built in cab/mic sims are very good - don't even need to use IRs. Could instantly get tones I'd be happy to record with, whilst I spent hours tweaking Helix Native, pissing about with IRs etc and still never got it as good. That and some good headphones is my preferred home option nowadays.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 271
    My Ampeg GVT15Hs can do both
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 13
    Of the stuff I've got - the Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 works really well at low volumes and at gigs.

I've got a Fuchs Four Aces which is 4 watts, doesn't really work very well at home - too loud - much like a Lonestar/Electradyne or any of the higher wattage amps.

Wattage doesn't really tell you the whole story with volume...One of my bandmates uses a Vox AC15 on gigs and it's almost too loud for gigs even.

Also - Vox Adio works nicely for a little portable amp for home use and maybe even a little more (duo gigs?)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 3066
    For me the cure to this problem was to invest in a really good attenuator. That way the whole amp market is open to you, and it turned out for me that my perfect amp was a JCM800 into a great cab, via a great attenuator. 

But yes, the middling-power amp can end up being a bit of an albatross around your neck in every setting.

"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • garfygarfy Frets: 80
    Badcat Cub 15r is a pretty loud 15w, gigable and with Kmaster volume control you can easily play at bedroom levels. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 5029
    edited November 9
    I use a 100w amp at home and on stage. Obviously it’s plenty for stage apart from the largest of gigs, but at home it’s also great - it sounds perfect. Glassy cleans, throaty break-up and fluid high-gain overdrive. I am trying to find a 50W amp, just for lighter lugging to gigs, but not to solve a home volume / sound problem. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9584
    garfy said:
    Badcat Cub 15r is a pretty loud 15w, gigable and with Kmaster volume control you can easily play at bedroom levels. 
    +1

The key thing is you need something with a really good Master Volume and/or a really good attenuator. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 153
    edited November 9
    Do you really need an amp at home ? Phone or Tablet app into your headphones / home sound system / recording kit / that crap practice amp you have in the cupboard ..  

Otherwise my reco is a Boogie MK V 25 - great gigging amp but has good low volume sound + headphones n cab clone outs for silent running .. ( not particularly cheap though ) 
  • Something like this sounds ideal for your needs...

www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143532/fs-brunetti-pleximan

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 4286
    Get a bigger house?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 119
    ICBM said:
    I'm a bit confused by all the different versions of those amps. I tried a rectoverb 50 which was awful, but I'm sure there are other great amps in the range. I'm currently really interested in the stilletto 1x12 combo (if I can cope with the weight!!) and a stiletto deuce 100 watt head a 2x12. 
    ICBM said:
    I'm a bit confused by all the different versions of those amps. I tried a rectoverb 50 which was awful, but I'm sure there are other great amps in the range.
    The Rectoverb and Trem-o-verb are completely different. So much so that the Trem-o-verb might be my favourite valve amp ever, but I wouldn't even own a Rectoverb. I will not deny that the Trem-o-verb (combo, at least) weighs as much as a small car though, so it may not be what you're looking for...

It's also worth looking at modern options like the Yamaha THR100, which will also do bedroom volume and gig volume.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    I'm a bit confused by all the different versions of those amps. I tried a rectoverb 50 which was awful, but I'm sure there are other great amps in the range.
    The Rectoverb and Trem-o-verb are completely different. So much so that the Trem-o-verb might be my favourite valve amp ever, but I wouldn't even own a Rectoverb. I will not deny that the Trem-o-verb (combo, at least) weighs as much as a small car though, so it may not be what you're looking for...

It's also worth looking at modern options like the Yamaha THR100, which will also do bedroom volume and gig volume.
    Would you take the combo over a head and 2x12 ?? I think yours will be a similar size and weight to the stiletto 1x12 combo, just wondering how you manage with it!

riffpowers said:

Would you take the combo over a head and 2x12 ?? I think yours will be a similar size and weight to the stiletto 1x12 combo, just wondering how you manage with it!
    The Trem-o-verb is heavier than the Stiletto - 98lb. It does have wheels and good handles, so I actually found it not that hard to move - actually easier than a Fender Twin or AC30, both of which are quite a bit lighter.

I don't have mine any more though - some medical advice about lifting heavy things made me change my mind as to what was acceptable for a guitar amp. And that was before I broke my arm...
    ICBM said:
    riffpowers said:

The Trem-o-verb is heavier than the Stiletto - 98lb. It does have wheels and good handles, so I actually found it not that hard to move - actually easier than a Fender Twin or AC30, both of which are quite a bit lighter.

I don't have mine any more though - some medical advice about lifting heavy things made me change my mind as to what was acceptable for a guitar amp. And that was before I broke my arm...
    Out of interest, what do you play now??!

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 17
    I have a Fender Blues Delux RI combo at 40 watt, and is fine for home and gigging, and if I ever need more, put it through the PA
    edited November 9
    riffpowers said:

Out of interest, what do you play now??!
    A 500W bass amp .

I’m not playing guitar in a band any more, so I’ve not bothered with a giggable guitar amp. If I needed another one I’d be more likely to get a THR100 or something like that.

When you've got a 500W bass combo - OK, it's only 250W into its own internal speaker, but it can drive an extension cab at the full power - that sounds great and only weighs 28lb, it makes you re-evaluate how heavy is acceptable for a guitar amp.

That's lighter than the guitarist's Orange Rocker 30 *head*.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 18875
    Just get a Katana 50 for home use and sod trying to use high wattage tube amps at home.

I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1035
    edited November 9
    Use a drive/distortion pedal into a clean amp at home and then use your proper gigging amp on stage.

With many amps you can do both of these things.

I live in a first floor flat with floors as thick as pancakes but I use a Laney AOR100 with a VHD distortion and I get no complaints.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 468
    JCA22 plus cab for gig, pocket pod plus headphones for home.
  • I only have a hand wired ac15 clone now, but with power scaling it's fine for both up to a sort of indie bluesy thing.

If I needed distortion like rock, it would have to be a big amp with a good master. @icbm has it right. I also really liked the orange number 7 slipknot sig, which was decent quiet but not sure about way up at gig volume. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 2557
    Get a bigger house?
    +1 on this, wish I had done it before the great amp journey started, could have saved myself some money
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 3942
    Something like this sounds ideal for your needs...

www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143532/fs-brunetti-pleximan

It sounds fantastic and exactly the same on 5w but it is still loud
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 2096
    edited November 9
    Look for and try an original blue series Vox Valvetronix 1x12 Ad60vt or ad60vtx 
    Plenty loud enough for gigging and great for home. Built in attenuator for 1w, 15w, 30w or 60w and headphone out. And weight at 43lbs is sensible to take around. The 2x12 ad120vt/vtx has a bigger tone but is 58lbs.  VTX are closed back, birch ply cabs and g12 vintage 80w celestion  neodymium speakers.  VT versions are open backed with mdf cabs and celestion seventy eighty speakers.  The mix of valves and modelling has never been bettered...very different to the budget Valvetronix that followed.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)