SORTED: High E string too close to the edge

What's Hot
FriskyDingoFriskyDingo Frets: 17
edited November 10 in Making & Modding
my high e string is fine by the nut for maybe the first 2/3 frets then it gets worse. By the other end it's way too close to the edge of the fretboard and unplayable. (I can post pics later)

So I assume it's the heel joint which needs sanding/chizel but where and how? 
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 2110
    What’s the guitar, and what type of bridge does it have? How long has it been like this? IE, was it alright at some time in the past, and now something has changed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • It's kit guitar tele. Has a 6 saddle bridge. Just when I put in new bridge and nut
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 33359
    What type of bridge is it, and/or what type of saddles does it have? Some 6-saddle bridges have an offset intonation screw position so the saddle ends up further to one side than you would expect, if you use a different saddle type or if you accidentally fit the intonation screw in the hole that's meant for top-load stringing.

Do you have a pic?
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 1080
    Perfect for playing Yes?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 12204
    I had this problem with my self-build hardtail N4-alike. Basically, I'd had a brain fart and mounted the bridge about 1.5mm too close to the controls. I had a stern word with myself, and calmly chickened out of doing anything with it until last weekend.

Now that it's sorted (wood glue and cocktail sticks in the old holes, then re-drilled), it's bloody great.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Il send pics tomorrow. I'm certain I have thread strings through correct holes. Saddles are off centre but I wouldn't think this much.
    I sanded and chizzled the neck joint for a better fit so could be the problem. Pictures will hopefully clarify this
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3415
    What sort of neck fastening does the guitar have? 

On a screwed-on neck electric guitar, if the string alignment is out in the way that you describe, this can be corrected by performing a sort of chiropractic manoeuvre on the joint. 
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
  • What sort of neck fastening does the guitar have? 

On a screwed-on neck electric guitar, if the string alignment is out in the way that you describe, this can be corrected by performing a sort of chiropractic manoeuvre on the joint. 
    Please explain more. I will post pictures this morning 
  • ill take more pics if needed. I have only had to widen the left screw hole on the bridge to fit the plate, which I thought would drag it that way. Loads of room at the low e. Advice welcome
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 12204
    OK, that first pic seems to show that either the neck or the scratchplate is at a bad angle, and that's borne out by the fact that it's not as bad at the nut end of the neck compared with the body end.

Not sure what'd be easier at that point - moving the bridge, or filling the screwholes in the neck, re-seating it and re-drilling.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
  • OK, that first pic seems to show that either the neck or the scratchplate is at a bad angle, and that's borne out by the fact that it's not as bad at the nut end of the neck compared with the body end.

Not sure what'd be easier at that point - moving the bridge, or filling the screwholes in the neck, re-seating it and re-drilling.
    The neck joing is tight against the wood of the body so I'm not sure I could reset it. But if I did reset the neck would I need to sand or scrape more wood away from the body so the angle of the neck is better? 
  • without the scratchplate, so hopefully it's more obvious what is not in line and needs adjustment 
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 60
    neck looks off angle as mentioned earlier (i.e. pointing at 1 o'clock rather than 12 as an exaggeration)
    is there any play in the neck pocket for adjustment? if there is loosen the screws, adjust and retighten
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 18875
    prowla said:
    Perfect for playing Yes?
    Literally the joke I clicked on the thread to make.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    It looks like the neck alignment is off to me as well.

You will need to cut a tapering sliver of wood away from the body at the outer end on the bass side, so the neck can turn slightly in the pocket - not move sideways. It will make a surprisingly large difference for a small amount of wood removed, so don't overdo it.

You can work out how much you need to remove - if the strings need to move 4mm to the left at the end of the neck (about what it looks like I think), the nut end of the neck needs to move by about twice that, ie 8mm. The length of the neck pocket is about 3" and the length of the neck to the nut about 18", which is a 1:6 ratio, so you need to remove 0.75mm of wood from the outer end of the pocket to create the necessary angle. (Sorry for mixing metric and imperial :).)

If the screw holes in the neck and body then don't line up, enlarge the outer end ones in the body - they don't need to be a tight fit.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for the help (above) will give it a try today. I have some boalser wood to use
  • So add wood to bass side of pocket near the base end. Or remove wood fromtop of the pocket bass side? 
    So add wood to bass side of pocket near the base end. Or remove wood fromtop of the pocket bass side? 
    ICBM said:

You will need to cut a tapering sliver of wood away from the body at the outer end on the bass side
    I'm not sure I could have made that more clear!
  • Sorry, I re-read it. Brain clicked in to gear now. Thanks
    I should also have said "if the neck is a tight fit in the pocket" though :). If there's enough room to fit a shim at the *inner* end of the pocket on the bass side, that would also work - but I assumed there isn't, because if there was it would be possible to align the neck that way already.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 18875
    @FriskyDingo is the best forum name of the year.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

• I've taken a sliver of wood off the bass side some more off the bottom corner. It's still on the squiffy so looks like I'll need to redrill some holes on the neck 
    I've taken a sliver of wood off the bass side some more off the bottom corner. It's still on the squiffy so looks like I'll need to redrill some holes on the neck 
    Drill the *body*, not the neck. You don't need to enlarge the holes much, and you only need to do the outer two. But make sure it's definitely the screws causing the trouble first - take those two screws out, it will be OK with the two E strings on if they're not tuned up tight - and see if you can get the neck to move over. If you can't, it's the pocket not the screw holes which is still the problem.

To redrill the neck you will drill out and plug the existing holes with side-cut maple plugs then redrill new ones, which is a much more difficult operation.
  • I've taken a chizel to the pocket and feel comfortable taking much wood.
    I'll drill the body and if needed fill the holes using the tooth pick technique. 
    When you say the outer two, do you mean the low e side screws? 
    I've taken a chizel to the pocket and feel comfortable taking much wood.
    I'll drill the body and if needed fill the holes using the tooth pick technique. 
    When you say the outer two, do you mean the low e side screws? 
    No, the ones at the outer end of the pocket... closest to the headstock :).

You won't need to fill the neck screw holes in the body, they don't need to be tight. The alignment of the neck is set by the pocket not the screws, which is why 70s Fender with oversized neck pockets allow the neck to move about.

If it is the holes that are the problem, going up 1mm in diameter should fix it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3415
    FriskyDingo said:
    Having seen your photographs, the alignment error on your project guitar is beyond the scope of yanking the neck relative to the edges of the pocket.
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 1080
    octatonic said:
    prowla said:
    Perfect for playing Yes?
    Literally the joke I clicked on the thread to make.
    And I and you?
  • FriskyDingo said:
    Having seen your photographs, the alignment error on your project guitar is beyond the scope of yanking the neck relative to the edges of the pocket.
    Please explain more. To be fair I have chipped away at one side of the pocket and it has helped slightly.
    how would you alleviate the problem?
  • sorted! Took a sliver of wood off the sides. Had a friend tighten the neck screws when I positioned the neck. No need to redrill anything. Thanks for the help everyone 
    Well done! It's good to solve something like this yourself - even with assistance - it's not really difficult if you know what to do.

It was certainly less trouble to help than when someone brings me a kit they haven't assembled right and asks me to do it :).