Fitting a bigsby

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
Hust double checking with anyone that had already done it - the best way to add a bigsby to a 335 is the vibramate v7 kit?       From what I’ve read that’s the only way of doing it without marking the guitar and is reversible if necessary.  
Do they work and look as good as a regular factory fitted bigsby?

Or are there any other recommendations?      

Suggestions for the best place to get one would be appreciated as well.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lewismlewism Frets: 250
    I’ve used a Vibramate with a B7, I wouldn’t really recommend it as it lifts the whole Bigsby about 4mm off the top of the guitar which changed the break angle at the bridge and the feel of the strings completely- I had to go up a couple of gauges to stop it feeling like I was playing elastic bands and had strings coming out of the saddles. The Towner system looks a lot better (just google Towner Bigsby), allows you to alter the break angle and is equally reversible. For a 335 with a Towner you’ll be using a Bigsby B3 which is also a fair bit cheaper so that’s another plus. I wish I’d seen the Towner before I bought the Vibramate. I ended up going back to the stop bar (and bought another guitar with a Bigsby already on so it turned out a little bit more expensive too!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    The Vibramate not only raises the whole thing by about 4mm, it shifts it backwards by about the same amount which not only looks odd, it can stop you getting the guitar into the case easily. And it isn't guaranteed not to mark the finish either, the pressure of the felt pads is enough to create matt patches - so it's not necessarily as reversible as you would think, or not without much more effort to re-polish the body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lewismlewism Frets: 250
    ICBM said:
    The Vibramate not only raises the whole thing by about 4mm, it shifts it backwards by about the same amount which not only looks odd, it can stop you getting the guitar into the case easily. And it isn't guaranteed not to mark the finish either, the pressure of the felt pads is enough to create matt patches - so it's not necessarily as reversible as you would think, or not without much more effort to re-polish the body.
    It’s only 2mm on a 335 but, as usual, you’re right. I got the beginnings of a couple of matt patches but I didn’t keep it on long enough to do an lasting damage. If anyone really wants one though, I’ve got one to suit a 335 in gold going spare........
  • John_P said:
    Hust double checking with anyone that had already done it - the best way to add a bigsby to a 335 is the vibramate v7 kit?       From what I’ve read that’s the only way of doing it without marking the guitar and is reversible if necessary.  
    Do they work and look as good as a regular factory fitted bigsby?

Or are there any other recommendations?      

Suggestions for the best place to get one would be appreciated as well.  
    Yes, DON'T DO IT
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    Do you absolutely need it to be a Bigsby?

Duesenberg has a no-drill solution for their Diamond Deluxe Tremola, or you can go low-rent and use their Les Trem II. 

Both are arguably better than Bigsbys in terms of sheer technical capability in achieving “that sound” but of course they won’t have “the look”. 

I’m a huge Bigsby fan though so I get it if that’s not an option due to history and expectation...
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Whitecat said:
    Do you absolutely need it to be a Bigsby?

Duesenberg has a no-drill solution for their Diamond Deluxe Tremola, or you can go low-rent and use their Les Trem II. 

Both are arguably better than Bigsbys in terms of sheer technical capability in achieving “that sound” but of course they won’t have “the look”. 

I’m a huge Bigsby fan though so I get it if that’s not an option due to history and expectation...
    It doesn’t have to be, but I’d would want something similar.   I like the duesenberg trend but I’m not sure I’d like the look on 335.   

It it does seem like I’d be better sticking to the original plan of finding a 335 with a factory fitted trem instead of adding one - thanks for the comments, really useful info. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

DON'T DO IT
    You're right of course. There is a much better solution...

:)

Whitecat said:

The Les Trem looks great on something like a Yamaha or Ibanez - where a Bigsby doesn't - but on a Gibson or Epiphone it just has to be a Bigsby...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have a Floyd on my main Les Paul so I’d be happy with that solution.   

Another thought - instead of worrying g about removing it, how badwould it be to just fit one properly.     Would people be totally put off if I ever had to sell it compared a guitar with a factory fitted bigsby?    
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    John_P said:

Another thought - instead of worrying g about removing it, how badwould it be to just fit one properly.     Would people be totally put off if I ever had to sell it compared a guitar with a factory fitted bigsby?    
    When you say “properly” do you mean replicating the bloody awful factory bodge where the holes for the tailpiece studs are covered by a naff piece of plastic with “custom made” engraved on it?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:
    John_P said:

When you say “properly” do you mean replicating the bloody awful factory bodge where the holes for the tailpiece studs are covered by a naff piece of plastic with “custom made” engraved on it?

Yeah pretty much that.    Apart from any documents and coa I’d have thought it would be the same if I fitted one and far better than the vibramate solution. 
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited November 2018
    lewism said:
    I’ve used a Vibramate with a B7, I wouldn’t really recommend it as it lifts the whole Bigsby about 4mm off the top of the guitar which changed the break angle at the bridge and the feel of the strings completely- I had to go up a couple of gauges to stop it feeling like I was playing elastic bands and had strings coming out of the saddles. The Towner system looks a lot better (just google Towner Bigsby), allows you to alter the break angle and is equally reversible. For a 335 with a Towner you’ll be using a Bigsby B3 which is also a fair bit cheaper so that’s another plus. I wish I’d seen the Towner before I bought the Vibramate. I ended up going back to the stop bar (and bought another guitar with a Bigsby already on so it turned out a little bit more expensive too!)
    I'd recommend the Towner system, I have one on a midtown and have had a vibramate on a LP previously. I found the towner is a much more elegant solution, less metal on the guitar and you can also fine tune the break angle at the bridge.

Edit: and it it deals with the tailpiece stud holes unless you really want a 'custom' plate.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    I think fitting a quality item to a quality item in a well done manner is unlikely to cause you any problems down the line. Except you’re unlikely to see the money back. 

A good plan c might be to just get a Gretsch ;)
  • This came up on eBay just now, looks like what you’re after..
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143007095246
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Has anyone fitted a Duesenberg Diamond Deluxe Tremola onto a 335, any pictures?

I'm not keen on the LesTrem look