Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited November 2018
    The crack in the finish looks to have been caused by over-tightening of one the humbucker mounting surround screws.

Unfortunately, because the crack is close to the neck joint, it would have been more reassuring if the seller had granted a clear shot of the rear of the guitar. Instead, he has "conveniently" hidden the suspect area behind an chunky strap end. 

For these reasons, I would want to inspect the guitar thoroughly in person before parting with any money. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651

Looks great & comes with a small practice amp & multi effect pedal.

Those Epiphones got some good reviews when they came out, circa 2001?

Nice starter bundle

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    edited November 2018
    The crack in the finish looks to have been caused by over-tightening of one the humbucker mounting surround screws.

Unfortunately, because the crack is close to the neck joint, it would have been more reassuring if the seller had granted a clear shot of the rear of the guitar. Instead, he has "conveniently" hidden the suspect area behind an chunky strap end. 

For these reasons, I would want to inspect the guitar thoroughly in person before parting with any money. 

Also seems to be a fair bit of finish missing from where the body meets the neck..... (looks like wood filler) danger! danger!

Has what also looks to be a tipex touch up job

• JD50 said:

Also seems to be a fair bit of finish missing from where the body meets the neck..... (looks like wood filler) danger! danger!

Has what also looks to be a tipex touch up job

I saw the crack.i didn't see the wood filler repair.Thanks everybody,gonna give this one a miss.Cheers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Given that your budget appears to be about £200-£300, I would honestly suggest that you stop looking at potential basket-case 'bargains' on the internet and get yourself down to a proper music shop - try out a range of new and second hand guitars within that budget (which will be quite a lot) and buy the one you like best, which will come with a guarantee even if second hand, from any reputable shop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Given that your budget appears to be about £200-£300, I would honestly suggest that you stop looking at potential basket-case 'bargains' on the internet and get yourself down to a proper music shop - try out a range of new and second hand guitars within that budget (which will be quite a lot) and buy the one you like best, which will come with a guarantee even if second hand, from any reputable shop.
    Yes your right,i looked on google last night.I found a guitar shop right near where i do my shopping,i thought to myself i know where that is.and when i got there the shop was gone.I'll have a ride out in the morning,see what i can find.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    About 4 years ago I bought my son a starter pack from Fender, which included a squire Strat as a first guitar, it felt very different to my US strat, but we did a test with the same amp settings, and guitar settings, and it was very difficult to tell the difference in sound. The point I am making is do what ICBM advises, as there are some really good budget guitars out there, and I personally always like to feel and play a guitar before buying.

• look for a second hand PRS SE brilliant value
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Given that your budget appears to be about £200-£300, I would honestly suggest that you stop looking at potential basket-case 'bargains' on the internet and get yourself down to a proper music shop 
    Additionally, given that this Discussion is the third or fourth time that the OP has posed the same question, my suggestion is to form a clear idea of what you expect and/or need from an electric guitar and seeking out something that fulfils your brief.
    Be seeing you.
  • I took your advice,i went to a guitar shop.I bought a lovely used epiphone,set up and tuned.ps if iv'e posted the same question three or four times,it's because i'm as new to computers as i am to guitars.sometimes i don't know what i'm doing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Does the Epiphone render your Gretsch redundant?
    Be seeing you.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Kerplunk said:
    I took your advice,i went to a guitar shop.I bought a lovely used epiphone,set up and tuned.ps if iv'e posted the same question three or four times,it's because i'm as new to computers as i am to guitars.sometimes i don't know what i'm doing.
    applies equally to the best of us, so don't worry, just go enjoy playing your new guitar.
  • Does the Epiphone render your Gretsch redundant?
    No,i'll eventually get it sorted.Can't seem to find a tuning stabilizer in england.The bloke it the guitar shop wants me to take my Gretsch in'he's going to check it over,i'll be up that way one day next week.i do know theres a couple of machine heads lose on the Gretsch,but no it's not redundant.My new guitar is a semi accoustic.After all,you can't have to many guitars..
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I’d love to see some pics of the epi 
  • terada said:

i don't know if it worked'but here you go.

• terada said:

terada said:
    i don't know what i'm doing'the pics didn't work.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Kerplunk said:
    terada said:

terada said:
    i don't know what i'm doing'the pics didn't work.
    Easiest way is to get imgur (the app). 

This is how I do it just using my old iphone. 

Upload a pic to imgur:

Then in Imgur, click on a picture you want to post here. 

Heres an example of one of mine, this is what you'll see in Imgur once you've clicked on one of your pics from your uploads: 

Clickity clack that arrow thing at the bottom and you'll see this: 

Clickity clack that copy link button. 
    Now the image link is copied automatically for you. 

Finally come onto the Fretboard and above where you write stuff you'll see this button (I've circled it). 

Click that and you'll see this: 

Then simply paste that automatically copied link in there and press the space bar! 

Image will appear in your post wherever the 'I' curser thingy is! 

Easiest to write first then make sure the curser is at the bottom of your writing, before scrolling up to click on the 'paste image' button. 

Hope that helps bud! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Brilliant guide @skunkwerx . Nice one, perhaps worth pasting somewhere more permanent?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    terada said:
    Brilliant guide @skunkwerx . Nice one, perhaps worth pasting somewhere more permanent?
    +1 to this. Mr Werkx, you’re a genius!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    terada said:
    mart said:
    terada said:
    +1 to this. Mr Werkx, you’re a genius!
    Haha cheers guys! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...