Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Global warming - how else can these signs be explained?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4942
Our roses are still in bloom, note it is well into November
A lot of Summer bedding plants are still flowering.
I noticed a cowslip flowering a few days ago. These usually flower in late Spring.
On our way into town yesterday, my wife and I saw a cherry tree in full flower.
Last week a pair of sparrows were observed 'doing up' their nest under the boiler house roof.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rocker said:
    I noticed a cowslip flowering a few days ago. These usually flower in late Spring.
    Last week a pair of sparrows were observed 'doing up' their nest under the boiler house roof.
    And it was 25 degrees in my house last night.

Admittedly because the better half had switch the heating to the "Eden project" setting, but still
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    It's also getting dark around 4 o'clock these days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited November 2018
    15000 years ago, the UK was covered in glaciers four miles high.  At one time, the North Pole was in North America.  Tropical fossils have been found at the North Pole. 

The earth is is always changing. I think the activity of the sun, and the great procession (the change in axis of the earth over 28000 years) have a great affect on climate. 

Its too simolistic to blame CO2. 

However, you can tax CO2 output..... you can’t tax the sun and the changing rotation of the earth...

My summer bedding plants are frost burned. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    TheMarlin said:
    15000 years ago, the UK was covered in glaciers four miles high.  At one time, the North Pole was in North America.  Tropical fossils have been found at the North Pole. 

The earth is is always changing. I think the activity of the sun, and the great procession (the change in axis of the earth over 28000 years) have a great affect on climate. 

Its too simolistic to blame CO2. 

However, you can tax CO2 output..... you can’t tax the sun and the changing rotation of the earth...

My summer bedding plants are frost burned. 

Its very difficult to tell what is global warming in the cycle of warming and cooling and what is man made.  We are allegedly still in the warming cycle from the last ice age and not at our standard temperature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Rocker said:
    By themselves they don't really indicate much more than an unseasonal local variation. But when you look at the picture across the whole world, global warming is a fact which only the wilfully blinkered would deny - the question is whether human activity is responsible, if so then wholly or only partly, and if partly then how much.

My guess is only partly, but a majority of it. The rapid rate of change that has occurred at the same time as the industrialised world would be quite a coincidence otherwise, especially when there is a mechanism which would explain the link. That doesn't mean there isn't a natural factor too, but if so then it's still equally important to reduce emissions since it's the amount and rate of change which will do the damage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It seems to stay colder a lot later too, we had snow and hail in May by me this year. Strange times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    Brexit.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    In the 15th century Britain was the most prolific grape producer in Europe and yet in the 19th Century it was guaranteed that the River Thames at London would be frozen solid with deep ice ......enough to accommodate a month -long Winter Fair regularly each year.
    It is also known that we experience a micro thermal warming/cooling on a 400 year cycle.
    I am not concerned about Global warming -I think it's a natural phenomena with very little man instigated effect.
    I am concerned about environmental pollution ,micro plastics, acid rain ,industrial residue, diesel nitrogen etc etc which is very serious.As far as the supposed Global warming goes:
    I think being able to tax items for some Holy cause gives a noble and "legitimate " status by which to excuse issues that should rightly and normally trigger revolution.......other examples .....
    .......The "sugar tax " and now thinking of taxing Red Meat is the ultimate Nanny Thief State in Action 
    Just ....Enough Already !
    I swear to God they will think of a way to pronounce too much Oxygen a cause of ill-health and Tax that too !
    Please just Fuck Off.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Dominic said:
    In the 15th century Britain was the most prolific grape producer in Europe and yet in the 19th Century it was guaranteed that the River Thames at London would be frozen solid with deep ice ......enough to accommodate a month -long Winter Fair regularly each year.
    It is also known that we experience a micro thermal warming/cooling on a 400 year cycle.
    I am not concerned about Global warming -I think it's a natural phenomena with very little man instigated effect.
    I am concerned about environmental pollution ,micro plastics, acid rain ,industrial residue, diesel nitrogen etc etc which is very serious.As far as the supposed Global warming goes:
    I think being able to tax items for some Holy cause gives a noble and "legitimate " status by which to excuse issues that should rightly and normally trigger revolution.......other examples .....
    .......The "sugar tax " and now thinking of taxing Red Meat is the ultimate Nanny Thief State in Action 
    Just ....Enough Already !
    I swear to God they will think of a way to pronounce too much Oxygen a cause of ill-health and Tax that too !
    Please just Fuck Off.

Aaaaaaaand breathe.. :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• @Dominic Wiz'd and well said. The only constant is whatever colour rosette they wear they are all bellends.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Global warming is not bullshit. I’ve been in the Dominican Republic for a week and it was 32 degrees Celsius! Last November it was 5 degrees in the fens. 
    I didn't know the Fens were in the Dominican Republic 
    Dominic said:
    I didn't know the Fens were in the Dominican Republic 
    That will explain the 8.5 hours on the plane then..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Suppose it never actually took off.........
    They put the window blinds down ,made some engine noises and vibration and pressurised the cabin but it was all a duty -free illusion!
    Dominic said:
    Suppose it never actually took off.........
    They put the window blinds down ,made some engine noises and vibration and pressurised the cabin but it was all a duty -free illusion!
    In that case the tourist board in the fens needs to make more of the palm trees. And the North Sea is a lot warmer than they have you believe
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Climate change doesn't happen each winter or each summer. It is long term. This should be obvious to anyone applying even a moment's thought. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    Rocker said:
    you live in Australia remember
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Interesting clip last night on the beeb about a speech Prince Charles made on the menace of plastics and their impact on the world.  Nothing new you would say, except he made the speech in 1970.  yes thats right, nineteen fucking seventy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was chatting to another dad in the playground at my daughter's school. He asked what I do.
    "I'm a scientist"
    "Cool. I hope you don't work on that climate change nonsense*. It's all a hoax & part off a natural cycle" 
    "REALLY"
    "yeah. Complete hoax, no evidence. Nothing will convince me otherwise" .
    I thought he was joking, realised he wasn't & had to make my excuses and walk away**. 

The evidence is compelling plus virtually all the contradictory papers have been debunked. 

This page is quite nice in illustrating what we're seeing, but either you'll believe the evidence & research by scientists or you won't. No one needs to convince you it's happening for it to continue to happen. 
    https://www.popsci.com/xkcd-earth-average-temperature-timeline

*Yes. I work on climate change.
    Yes. I believe it's real.
    Yes. I'm worried about the world we're creating & leaving for our children. 

** And as I don't do internet arguements, I'll do the same here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Replies to threads about climate change depress me. 

Scientists pretty much unanimously agree it’s real but joe bloggs knows better.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom