What's Hot
gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
edited July 2020 in Guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fuck. Mines a 62 slab board. Must be worth 20k. 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I'd want a mint E type for that, never mind a Fender.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    He accidentally typed a 1 at the start. Easy mistake to make.

The case might actually be original if the guitar was sold new in the UK - I think it's a Selmer case, and Selmer imported Fenders without cases then sold them with their own cheaper locally-sourced ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14216
    tFB Trader
    I don't have any issue with a good refret - from a playing point of view it will enrich many vintage guitars IMO, especially such a Fender - I certainly don't see why any good re-fret should de-value any guitar  - iId certainly prefer a good re-fret to original frets that are 'fuc**d - But I have an issue with such a big emphasis on original with a back up story that tells otherwise 

Not sure where such a price tag comes from

You'd certainly want to see more pics of neck butt end plus body/neck cavities and pick-up wiring loom

Selmer case as well - probably original to shop purchase at the time, based on Fender's UK distributor of the day, but not original to the factory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I don't have any issue with a good refret - from a playing point of view it will enrich many vintage guitars IMO, especially such a Fender - I certainly don't see why any good re-fret should de-value any guitar  - iId certainly prefer a good re-fret to original frets that are 'fuc**d - 
    Completely agree, but what if the re-fret is...not so great...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuck. Mines a 62 slab board. Must be worth 20k. 
    Nah mate. A Sunburst finish automatically deducts 50% :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll be the first : He's probably hoping to pocket the money.

• WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    I'll be the first : He's probably hoping to pocket the money.

Ah, cue the rest of the snooker puns. Give me a break.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    WeZ84 said:
    I'll be the first : He's probably hoping to pocket the money.

Ah, cue the rest of the snooker puns. Give me a break.
    Seems to me like you need a rest.
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    I don't have any issue with a good refret - from a playing point of view it will enrich many vintage guitars IMO, especially such a Fender - I certainly don't see why any good re-fret should de-value any guitar  - iId certainly prefer a good re-fret to original frets that are 'fuc**d - 
    Completely agree, but what if the re-fret is...not so great...

agree about a bad refret - in which case get an appropriate discount to give you the funds to get it done properly
  • Why would a "nice low playable action" suit a collector? Surely collectors tend to display or store their items rather than play them?
    tFB Trader
    gringopig said:
    Some of those fret ends look a tad sharp! There have been a fair few chunks taken out the board as well.
    Never knew it was a Selmer case though
    Looking at it again and it might not be a Selmer case - I know they can loose the badge in the corner, but it might be the same case Barnes and Mullins used for the Burns Guitars when they sold them - Doesn't the Selmer case have stitching/trim near each end + most should have a burgundy teddy bear inner lining 
    guitars4you said:

Looking at it again and it might not be a Selmer case - I know they can loose the badge in the corner, but it might be the same case Barnes and Mullins used for the Burns Guitars when they sold them - Doesn't the Selmer case have stitching/trim near each end + most should have a burgundy teddy bear inner lining 
    I thought that too, which is why I wasn't sure. I'm not enough of an expert on who might have made cases for Selmer to rule it out though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Free delivery though.

What more do you want?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9290
    Atb have got an Olympic white 65 for £4,500. That makes the Brazilian board on the 63 worth £9,000?

Personally, I’d rather than 65. Bound necks on a jag look amazing
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    guitars4you said:

I thought that too, which is why I wasn't sure. I'm not enough of an expert on who might have made cases for Selmer to rule it out though.
    some will say it is a correct case from that period - we know it is not an original Fender case - but equally we know not many Fenders from that era were sold in the UK with Fender cases
    guitars4you said:

some will say it is a correct case from that period - we know it is not an original Fender case - but equally we know not many Fenders from that era were sold in the UK with Fender cases
    The question is, if you bought the guitar new with a Selmer case, is that the original case? The guitar itself never had a 'Fender' (who didn't make them anyway, they also bought them in) case, since it was shipped from the factory without one...