boss ds1

timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
So im really enjoying the ds1 right now, what other pedals based on this platform should I be trying?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    Ibanez sd9
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Boss DS-2
    Boss DF-2

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Boss ds2 is amazing. The regular distortion thing is similar to a ds-1, but the turbo mode is one of the best lead sounds I've heard.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I think the Vox Satchurator is based on the DS1. Possibly the Ibanez Jemini too.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited April 2014

• Bidley;213813" said:
    I think the Vox Satchurator is based on the DS1. Possibly the Ibanez Jemini too.
    Ooo yes, this is true. I really liked the satchurator actually.

You could look into a keeley ds-1, too, for similar sounds but more refined.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I did have a ds2 a few years ago. Might have to grab another
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited April 2014
    i think the digitech hot head is ds1-based, too. Sounds like one to my ears (just has the extra bass control which is fairly handy) but I don't have a ds1 to compare it to.

I think the mxr custom badass distortion (the older red one, dunno about the newer TMB one) was supposedly a more tweaked DS1-style thing too, I think (but I haven't tried it, that's just the word on the net from places like freestompboxes which reversed it).

the boss MD2 doesn't sound a million miles off a ds1 when you keep its gain boost knob to minimum (and the bottom knob down to around 12 o'clock or less), though its circuit is different. Bit more modern-sounding too, though.
    Bidley;213813" said:

The only thing you need to watch out for with the keeley ds1 is whether your amp can take that much distortion without mushing out. Mine can't, I have to dial back the channel gain to 4 or 5, and really play with the amp eq and the pedal tone knob to prevent over-feeding it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz;214069" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Bidley;213813" said:I think the Vox Satchurator is based on the DS1. Possibly the Ibanez Jemini too.

The only thing you need to watch out for with the keeley ds1 is whether your amp can take that much distortion without mushing out. Mine can't, I have to dial back the channel gain to 4 or 5, and really play with the amp eq and the pedal tone knob to prevent over-feeding it.
    I've only used it as a distortion - into a totally clean amp.

But that's useful advice, as I've heard the ds-1 likes a bit of amp gain, too.
    Yep, "bit" being the operative word. Don't get me wrong, if you tame it it's gorgeous. But I actually find the Keeley MT2 easier to work with than the DS1. Obviously the SD1, BD2 and TS9 are the easiest. They don't squish no matter how hard you push them.