Spotting a fake on ebay (long-ish)

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3445
edited November 2018 in Guitar
A while ago I missed winning a partcaster on ebay that tried to mimic Yngwie's signature guitar with really good parts. It slipped my mind and I forgot to put a bid in. Since then I've been looking for Yngwie partcasters as fuck paying 2 grand for a real one. I like the portly Swede but not that much. 
I spotted this on ebay. Check out the long description about this Yngwie tribute band and what not. Seemed legit and had a low starting bid. But the more I looked, the more the whole thing didn't make sense. Noiseless singles on an Yngwie copy? You'd go for the HS-3 or the YJM Fury set at a similar price. The fretboard also looked super flat and with 22 frets whereas the real one has a 9.5" radius and 21 frets. That's the sort of stuff that it costs as much to get right as it costs to get it wrong. Finally, there was still a bit of plastic wrapping over the pickguard, the sort of thing that goes away when you tour with a guitar.
I did some ebay research and found a lot of Chenders that copied Yngwie's signature. For example:
Notice how they all have the same things wrong as the one in the UK? Noiseless pickups, flat fretboard, 22 frets, etc. Also all in the same colour.
I've asked the seller to explain this coincidence, but so far no reply. Hope this helps somebody to spot disingenuous sellers on ebay. 

Firstly, I would like to stress that this guitar was made for me personally by a friend who used to work at the Fender factory in Mexico, so this is not a genuine 'factory made Fender'.
That is a pretty shitty way to pretend you don't know it's a Chender.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments