Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How to fake a tour and get caught!

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    edited November 2018
    This is great. 

My lot did a US tour about 12 years ago. Mostly played to empty-ish rooms, but was a cheap way to get 3 weeks in the USA and good practice as a band. When we got home we got loads of bookings as "just back from their US tour" made us sound bigger than we were...! 

But at no point did we pretend we were already huge, and we certainly didn't spend multiple tens of thousands. And social media hadn't really been invented yet  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Great stuff!

I love Quixotic characters. If I'd had half an inkling about this I'd gladly have gone to Underworld. Alone
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    The rest of the hired band have been releasing statements and things, they all seem pretty miffed by the whole thing.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    BBC  have done a fancy piece on him:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/jered_threatin

• My lot did a US tour about 12 years ago. Mostly played to empty-ish rooms, but was a cheap way to get 3 weeks in the USA and good practice as a band. When we got home we got loads of bookings as "just back from their US tour" made us sound bigger than we were...! 

But at no point did we pretend we were already huge
    See that’s where you clearly went wrong. ;)
    I know of a guy locally who did a similar thing in terms of the ‘heading to the US for gigs’, ‘just back from a US run of shows’, except he played up to it and liked to be a big fish in a very small pond. I was rather amused when it transpired he’d nipped over to play a few random singer-songwriter open mic nights.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3653

I was rather amused when it transpired he’d nipped over to play a few random singer-songwriter open mic nights.
    Similar to my two tours of Japan where, alongside the music, I managed to spend some time indulging in my hobby of working in the automotive component supply industry. ;)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He must be loving the attention. Job done I reckon. 
  • My lot did a US tour about 12 years ago. Mostly played to empty-ish rooms, but was a cheap way to get 3 weeks in the USA and good practice as a band. When we got home we got loads of bookings as "just back from their US tour" made us sound bigger than we were...! 

But at no point did we pretend we were already huge
    See that’s where you clearly went wrong. ;)
    I know of a guy locally who did a similar thing in terms of the ‘heading to the US for gigs’, ‘just back from a US run of shows’, except he played up to it and liked to be a big fish in a very small pond. I was rather amused when it transpired he’d nipped over to play a few random singer-songwriter open mic nights.
    Yeah, it worked very well for us to get a bit of buzz locally. And a great trip :D 

As for this guy, he's got the media attention. If only his songs weren't rubbish he'd have a good shot at success
  • octatonic said:
    Their music is shit too:

A couple of comments posted on his video made me LOL:

"that mix is drier than my nan's snatch"

"better than Nickelback"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    octatonic said:
    Their music is shit too:

A couple of comments posted on his video made me LOL:

"that mix is drier than my nan's snatch"

"better than Nickelback"
    The internet has transformed society, made us more interconnected than at any point in human history and is generally a good thing, but I will never forgive it for making me aware of this music.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I recently read Hannah Fry's book "Hello World" she mentions that there have been experiments done on how songs get popular. Essentially a great song will get popular with the slightest bit of attention, a mediocre song has to get lucky, but you can't make a bad song popular

I guess this proves it.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Oh my life, this guy is a delusional narcissist. 

The irony is that his ego massaging stunt has probably brought him enough attention that he'll end up with a real tour and the fame he clearly craves to go with it - albeit briefly.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    Oh my life, this guy is a delusional narcissist. 

The irony is that his ego massaging stunt has probably brought him enough attention that he'll end up with a real tour and the fame he clearly craves to go with it - albeit briefly.

The problem is that he's not good or funny bad, he's just bad bad.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited December 2018
    He certainly has a lot of merch for sale:

https://www.threatin.com/shop

For the lady in your life:

https://www.threatin.com/product-page/women-s-thong-underwear

Edit: Damn, "sold out".
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I recently read Hannah Fry's book "Hello World" she mentions that there have been experiments done on how songs get popular. Essentially a great song will get popular with the slightest bit of attention, a mediocre song has to get lucky, but you can't make a bad song popular

I guess this proves it.
    Yep. Same with OK Go (in the mediocre category). Their videos are *awesome*, no doubt about it. But can you hum a single one of their songs, except maybe Get Over It, which was actually from their debut, before they started doing clever vids.
  • Really interesting article.  

IMO, I'd love to see a documentary about the guy directed by Burt Layton who made an excellent documentary by the name of 'The Imposter'
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    the bloke needs to cover anyone's loss caused by his lies but apart from that the whole thing is hilarious and actually quite fine performance art. I'm a hard rocker to the core but honestly anyone who takes it seriously enough to get animated by this needs a reality check. it's all nonsense anyway!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169

From the BBC article:

While the band was backstage taking giddy pre-show selfies, Jon Vyner, The Underworld’s booking manager, was expecting a fairly sizeable crowd for a Thursday night.

The gig had been arranged a month earlier by Threatin’s booking agent, Casey Marshall, from an LA-based company called StageRight Bookings. Marshall had paid the venue’s £780 ($979) hire fee and informed Vyner via email that they’d pre-sold 291 tickets for the evening.

Only £780 quid to book the Underworld. We should do this jammers and tFB bands!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    pmbomb said:

From the BBC article:

While the band was backstage taking giddy pre-show selfies, Jon Vyner, The Underworld’s booking manager, was expecting a fairly sizeable crowd for a Thursday night.

The gig had been arranged a month earlier by Threatin’s booking agent, Casey Marshall, from an LA-based company called StageRight Bookings. Marshall had paid the venue’s £780 ($979) hire fee and informed Vyner via email that they’d pre-sold 291 tickets for the evening.

Only £780 quid to book the Underworld. We should do this jammers and tFB bands!

Fret-in?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom