School Me on the Peavey Classic Series

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I thought the Classic 30 was better than the 50 to be honest, mainly due to lack of extra volume control. I loved mine back in early 90's. the mid boost switch was a great idea, but unfortunately not foot switchable. I could get a very good approximation of a JCM 800 4010 combo, side by side almost identical, with mid boost in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Lixarto said:
    I thought SRV died in 1990? August bank holiday weekend, in fact.
    My mistake, you're correct - which makes it a certainty that the 'Classic 50' he gave to Rodgers was actually the old plain Classic model, since as I've now checked, the Classic 50 was made starting in 1991.
    Is it possible that SRV might have had pre production models?
    They have always been described as 4x10 classic 50s to me.
    I wonder if had he not died they might have been an SRV sig model.
  • The original Classic series amps were solid state with valve power amps, similar to Musicman, with that old Series/Parrallel inputs. which I could never work out, sounded quite good as long as you changed the speakers.
    tFB Trader
    That would make sense actually as Nile also used to use the old Music Man hybrid amps. 
  • Not conversant with much of Niles gear, did hear that he used very heavy strings, but was mainly rhythm work anyway. 12`s or something like that.
    tFB Trader
    A lot of his recordings are into the desk via a compressor, but the one thing you hear about him a lot is that live he tends to use a pair of Classic 50s given to him by SRV. 
    I don't think he uses a lot of gear. He pretty much always plays the same 59 strat and I think he uses a compressor and a delay and thats about it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    This is an interesting mystery!

Footage of him in the 90s is surprisingly hard to find - but there's this from 1996, which does clearly show modern-type Classic 50 410s -

So looks like SRV may have had pre-production models.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    ICBM;21266" said:
    This is an interesting mystery!

Footage of him in the 90s is surprisingly hard to find - but there's this from 1996...
    well, they recorded Live at the Budokan in 1996 and Bernard Edwards died that night so there's definitely nothing from the late 90's!

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I know - I knew that was Edwards' last performance, although I didn't realise before that he actually died the same night. I was hoping to find more early-90s stuff - best of all would be something from '90 or '91 with Classic 50s, which would prove it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Saw satriani using a c50 live once with his sig pedals.

Sounded amazing.