Multi FX (On a budget)

What's Hot
clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
Looking for some advice... considering getting a budget ish multi fx/amp modeler-but lost in options! 

I currently play largely at home but keen to do some recording (so would need something that doubles as an interface) and like the idea of having more options than my current small pedal board offers. The unit would run either direct into my pc or into my blackstat HT 5 (either the front or FX loop depending on what works best).

I was looking at the line 6 firehawk as a good price option or maybe the HD500x. I can’t stretch or justify looking at the helix or HeadRush models, although I suppose I could consider the Helix stomp-altough it looks more limited than the other options in functions and costs more!! 

I want something (not to complicated!) that will give good basic (cleanish) blues/rock tones working with my amp, but also has some extra stuff for experimenting that wouldn’t be in my normal (OD, Delay, reverb, wah) board, act as an interface and also be usable for the odd live gig/jam session. 

What do I need!?!

cheers,
Chris 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    Boss GT-100 or Line 6 HD500/500X would be my choices. If you want to switch channels on your amp then it would be the GT100 as you would need a separate switcher for your amps channels. The HD500 does have better amp modelling though. The GT-100 is easier to use than the HD500. The Firehawk looks interesting as it also does 4cm. You could go rack and get a Digitech GSP1101. That's a big hitter for not a big outlay. Maybe an RP1000?

The HX Stomp would get you into the big hitter modelling realm. There would be ways around it's 3 button's - you could add a Boss FS-6/7 to increase the number of function buttons for example. But yeah it's quite expensive and not out just yet.

For the record I use a GT-100 and I don't really use the high gain amps, I use my amps overdrive channel for the high gain stuff. I do like being able to use use the other amp models though in 4cm, it does expand your tonal pallet rather a lot. I like the GT-100 quite a bit. The downside to the GT-100 are the high gain amp models. They're ok but nothing to write home about. The clean amp models though are pretty good. For the most part the effects are very good and it's buffer is very good.

I also had the HD500 which had much better amp models, no amp switching and good effects but an iffy buffer and a user interface that is a bit clunky. A horrid murky blue screen. It records very well though. I do miss it's amp modelling.
  • Depending on how budget you want to get, you could look for a second hand Zoom G3. You can find them for under £70 if you are patient. They have excellent modulation effects and the amp models are good enough for recording. I've got one that I use direct to the PA as a backup option or for gigs where my large pedalboard isn't practical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Boss ME50 is a simple multi fx with wah
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Chris, if you can stretch to £380 the wonderful Carl martin Quattro is on a deal at HotRox.

Nothing will come close to its tone and simplicity for the budget.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Just digging around my gear room, and I've got a Digitech RP7 Tube that works great. You'd be welcome to it for £40 to save me from Ebay/ Facebook hell. 

It's one of these: 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • A second-hand Eleven Rack is what you want. It'll do all of that, a bit more, and they're damn cheap these days.
    <space for hire>
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    A second-hand Eleven Rack is what you want. It'll do all of that, a bit more, and they're damn cheap these days.
    how does its amp modelling (thinking lightly overdriven sounds with few to no effects) compare with newer offerings (Helix, Amplifire primarily)?

• The Eleven Rack is actually really good in terms of its amp modelling. It's got a problem with a delay if you switch amp models which can be really annoying if you use it in a live environment. I tried one out a few years ago and it was pretty nice sounding, but I couldn't live with the silent gap.
  • NPP said:
    A second-hand Eleven Rack is what you want. It'll do all of that, a bit more, and they're damn cheap these days.
    how does its amp modelling (thinking lightly overdriven sounds with few to no effects) compare with newer offerings (Helix, Amplifire primarily)?
    Pretty good, to be honest - the only problem I found is that it doesn't have an IR loader block, so ideally you'd use impulses in your DAW. However, with the expansion pack (which should be installed) you can get some convincing sounds by using the speaker breakup control.
    <space for hire>
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Digitech gsp1101 with the beta C63 firmware would tick all your boxes. Works as a sound card via USB, has numerous amp models (including some very good plexi models), decent set of fx, IR loader and will work well into your amp. They're a few years old now so s/h prices are low.

I have a Kemper and an Axe II but I've hung on to my gsp as a backup because it's good sounding and easy to use.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited November 2018
    thanks @digitalscream and @vasselmeyer ;, will need to think about IR loading and whether I actually need that then. The delay issue doesn't seem a big deal to me - not playing live, not interested in sophisticated switching options and not using any extreme delay settings

• NPP said:
    thanks @digitalscream and @vasselmeyer ;, will need to think about IR loading and whether I actually need that then. The delay issue doesn't seem a big deal to me - not playing live, not interested in sophisticated switching options and not using any extreme delay settings

If you're always running into a DAW, then it's not really going to be an issue.

To be honest, I recorded a whole album with the Eleven Rack as it was, no IRs at all, and I thought it sounded pretty good. Obviously not on the level of the Helix/AxeFX/Kemper, but then...you wouldn't expect it to.
    <space for hire>
  • If you get something that functions as an audio interface, don’t neglect looking at amp VSTs like Sgear.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited November 2018
    JD50 said:
    Boss ME50 is a simple multi fx with wah
    But no USB output or amp modelling.

You need the ME-80. Just over £200 new and about £150 second hand.

All the ME series are by far the simplest and most intuitive multi-FX to use in my opinion, especially from the ME-50 onward - everything is controlled by knobs and not menus. The sounds are genuinely good to excellent as well, they're not a poor relation simply by being in a multi-FX.

(I love the ME-50 by the way - despite its limitations it's my favourite multi-FX ever. I've had three of them and stupidly sold the first two when some of the limitations annoyed me - but always came back to them, and I won't be selling this one.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for all the replies-loads of stuff I hadn’t thought of here and to investigate.

One other quick question-I assume the HX FX would not work due to lack of amp models or can this still be used as an interface? (My main concern is having it into the front of an amp as a board replacement, but doubling as an interface would be good if at all possible) 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited November 2018
    I'd be looking at:

Up to £200
    Boss gt1
    Zoom g5n

Up to £300
    Pod hd 500x (second hand)
    Gsp1101 (second hand)
    Atomic amplifire 3 (Second hand. There are a couple for sale on here. Better modelling but no interface, although you could always get one separately)
    Boss me80

Up to £500
    HX stomp
    Headrush gigboard
    I think both of these also have amp switching, which if it works with your ht5, would be a useful thing to have
    Amplifire 6 (still no interface and no amp switching but those extra buttons are very handy)
  • The old Fender Mustang Floor - saw one on Fleabay last week go for about £140 - great for Fendery cleans. Expression pedal, USB out, loads of easy to get at FX, can go in loop of your amp. This is the model before the Mustang GT and much liked at the time.
  • Hi Clarke_111,

I have a little-used Line6 HD400 (much easier to use than the HD500) in mint condition complete with mains power supply and original box & manuals for sale at £175 + postage. Send me a pm If you are interested.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom