Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hanging guitars: a bad idea?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    ESBlonde said:
    Is this as simple as the temp variation caused by the difference in height. Does the hung guitar sit over a heat source, or catch more direct sunlight, or even just experience a higher temp because hot air rises?
    interesting as I have 3 tiers of display of guitars on the wall hangers - Top, middle, lower - I go round the showroom wall to check guitars are in tune and do so many guitars each day, religiously - There is a often a difference between guitars barely needing tuning and those that are 1/4 or 1/2 tone out, subject to which row they are from

Takes me about 4/5 weeks to get back to the start point in the show room to start the tune up process again - Painting the Forth Road bridge syndrome
    You need a shop elf.

Calling @Handsome_Chris :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    Is this as simple as the temp variation caused by the difference in height. Does the hung guitar sit over a heat source, or catch more direct sunlight, or even just experience a higher temp because hot air rises?
    If it is, I'm fucked. Mrs Returns insisted on an arty stagger...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The factors causing tuning instability are varied. My strats all remain in tune, however long they sit (in tune to each other string I may add) with a slight drop off concert pitch. The tuning on the hung guitar was so out that I thought to blame my kids though it’s way out of their reach. I grew up with strats requiring frequent tuning and am thoroughly impressed with the quality of my guitars now. I haven’t noticed any damage to the nitro. I’ll check later. 
    Choking the guitar was a rather figurative illustration of how changing from one condition to another will impact on the guitar ‘breathing’ under humidity or heat or cold. Wood isn’t static. As I only play at home, I prefer the tuning conditions to remain as static as possible, hence distance from any radiator or external wall. My mate refusing to store inside a case may be taking it too far. Yet I feel the extra 7lbs might have an effect on tuning conditions as the wood sits back into an unburdened state. 
    Unfortunately, the guilty wall hang has been replaced by a picture so I can’t reproduce the experiment. 
    In an effort of big data collection and analysis, please answer if you have noticed the need for tuning on wall-hung guitars. If yes, would you consider using a seat hanger in addition to the neckstock?
    @ICBM and @guitars4you observations might reveal that the blame is temperature based rather than stress. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    ESBlonde said:
    If it is, I'm fucked. Mrs Returns insisted on an arty stagger...

That arty stagger would cause me no end of frustration  :o
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    ICBM said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Walls are much more subject to circulating convection currents, even in a room which appears to be at a consistent temperature. If you don't think so, get a step ladder and see how warm it is up next to the ceiling.

I experienced that when I put up some (high) shelves a few years ago, in an uncharacteristic toe-dip into the DIY world. 

It was fucking boiling up there at altitude.  I'm glad I'm only 5'6".

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    depends on what they done.......30 years in jail may be a better option
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    ICBM said:
    The weight of the guitar pulling downwards on the headstock is in the order of 7 or 8 lbs.

The string tension pulling down on the headstock is in the order of 70 or 80 lbs.

Think about it.
    It's mass is 7-8lbs which equates to roughly to a weight of 31-35 Newtons.

Yeah, I am THAT GUY! :)
    New tons are so much lighter than tonnes....pussies
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ESBlonde said:
    interesting as I have 3 tiers of display of guitars on the wall hangers - Top, middle, lower - I go round the showroom wall to check guitars are in tune and do so many guitars each day, religiously - There is a often a difference between guitars barely needing tuning and those that are 1/4 or 1/2 tone out, subject to which row they are from

Takes me about 4/5 weeks to get back to the start point in the show room to start the tune up process again - Painting the Forth Road bridge syndrome
    Whenever I try guitars i retune them to drop c# too...which im sure helps :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Walls are much more subject to circulating convection currents, even in a room which appears to be at a consistent temperature. If you don't think so, get a step ladder and see how warm it is up next to the ceiling.

I experienced that when I put up some (high) shelves a few years ago, in an uncharacteristic toe-dip into the DIY world. 

It was fucking boiling up there at altitude.  I'm glad I'm only 5'6".

Yeah you should try in the loft...like a fucking furnace up there..i dont know how people with 3 floor townhouses manage it
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    lukedlb said:
    @ICBM and @guitars4you observations might reveal that the blame is temperature based rather than stress. 
    totally agree 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    @Legionreturns guess you've crossed a dreadnought or a super jumbo off the purchase list, then, given the spacing =D
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2018
    Snags said:
    @Legionreturns guess you've crossed a dreadnought or a super jumbo off the purchase list, then, given the spacing =D
    It was more a question of how many hangers I could fit on the one bit of wall I'm allowed for that purpose! My dread is in the other room, and I sold my 335-a-likes for the same reason  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you