Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For those preoccupied with the weight of guitars...

What's Hot
BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
edited November 2018 in Guitar
I saw a wonderful Edith Piaf tribute act tonight and the accordionist was a slightly built woman in her 50s. I was speaking with her afterwards and the accordion was by her side. I asked if it was heavy and she gestured for me to pick it up and see for myself. The thing must have weighed 25 lbs and a quick Google search verifies this as a typical weight. I asked if it could get uncomfortable and she just shrugged and remarked that her shoulder was a little sore.

I couldn't bring myself to tell her that some guitarists (me included) obsess over half a pound of weight on a Strat or Les Paul. We really are a bunch of pussies!
5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6878
    Am trying to imagine it lol.. 

Currently my barbell is set up with 30lbs for my bicep exercises and thats enough for muscle failure by rep 10... 

I don't think that'd be too comfy slung over my shoulder for very long! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah
  • skunkwerx said:
    Am trying to imagine it lol.. 

Currently my barbell is set up with 30lbs for my bicep exercises and thats enough for muscle failure by rep 10... 

I don't think that'd be too comfy slung over my shoulder for very long! 
    Dude thats a girlie weight you need a heavier guitar
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Equally, I do know an ex-accordionist who suffers from fairly serious back problems as a consequence of playing for 20 years 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    DrBob said:
    Equally, I do know an ex-accordionist who suffers from fairly serious back problems as a consequence of playing for 20 years 
    That's ridiculous you should always take a break.
    33reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    JAYJO said:
    DrBob said:
    That's ridiculous you should always take a break.
    Excellent work.  =)
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Probably why most accordionists play sitting down. Even then I think the weight is an issue, since they use shoulder straps to keep it upright.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited November 2018
    How heavy would they need to be before they call it a day? And any pointers on making bagpipes heavier?

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    She might be the toughest woman in the world but my back still fucking kills after playing my Telecaster while standing up for two hours. I'd rather use a lighter guitar and save the pain. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Brize said: I couldn't bring myself to tell her that some guitarists (me included) obsess over half a pound of weight on a Strat or Les Paul. We really are a bunch of pussies!
    To quote the Lone Ranger gag, ‘what’s this we shit’?! Some people (like me) look for lighter guitars because they believe they are usually more resonant and better sounding. As well as the obvious back/shoulder relieving benefits.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    edited November 2018
    Brize said: I couldn't bring myself to tell her that some guitarists (me included) obsess over half a pound of weight on a Strat or Les Paul. We really are a bunch of pussies!
    To quote the Lone Ranger gag, ‘what’s this we shit’?! Some people (like me) look for lighter guitars because they believe they are usually more resonant and better sounding. As well as the obvious back/shoulder relieving benefits. 
    My dear chap, if you really believe that there's a reliable correlation between weight and tone, it's either in your mind or you haven't played enough guitars. ;)

I've played light-weight guitars that sounded great and light-weight guitars that sounded meh. The same applies to medium-weight and heavy-weight guitars. I've also played electric guitars that had a great acoustic resonance that seemed to disappear when amplified, and guitars that were dead acoustically that confounded expectations when plugged in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

ICBM said:
    Probably why most accordionists play sitting down. Even then I think the weight is an issue, since they use shoulder straps to keep it upright.
    This lady played standing up all night. The gig was in a tiny brasserie and she and the singer were moving around the tables.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31585
    I misread that. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited November 2018
    Brize said:
    Brize said: I couldn't bring myself to tell her that some guitarists (me included) obsess over half a pound of weight on a Strat or Les Paul. We really are a bunch of pussies!
    To quote the Lone Ranger gag, ‘what’s this we shit’?! Some people (like me) look for lighter guitars because they believe they are usually more resonant and better sounding. As well as the obvious back/shoulder relieving benefits. 
    My dear chap, if you really believe that there's a reliable correlation between weight and tone, it's either in your mind or you haven't played enough guitars.

I've played light-weight guitars that sounded great and light-weight guitars that sounded meh. The same applies to medium-weight and heavy-weight guitars. I've also played electric guitars that had a great acoustic resonance that seemed to disappear when amplified, and guitars that were dead acoustically that confounded expectations when plugged in.
    Could be confirmation bias on my part! Although I’ve owned over 100 guitars and probably played three times as many. And I said ‘usually’. My dear chap...  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I'm guessing my dad would laugh at this thread given he used to walk for miles with a bloody massive accordion over his shoulders:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    dbphoto said:
    I'm guessing my dad would laugh at this thread given he used to walk for miles with a bloody massive accordion over his shoulders:

Euphemism.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Do note that accordians are held with TWO straps - one over each shoulder - like a rucksack in reverse . 
    This makes a big difference!
    It's the fact that as guitarists we take the weight on just one side that throws so many backs out of whack.

And before we get into a "man the fuck up", "grow a pair", "what kind of big poof are you" style discussion, some people can't have a 11lb Les Paul on their shoulder for any length of time (or don't wish to) . 
    Some of us may have actually been told to either give up playing or find a lighter guitar if we want to be free of back pain.

But I agree that piano accordians can be pretty heavy.....myself I'm not keen on their sound 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    Even effete Parisians can carry them around all day .............C'est L'amour, Bof
    Do note that accordians are held with TWO straps - one over each shoulder - like a rucksack in reverse . 
    True, but still, 25lbs!

Completely agree about the 11lbs Les Paul thing - it's more the fussing about half a pound here or there, like the guy who wanted to buy my Strat until he found out that it weighed 7lbs 13oz. WTF?!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Do note that accordians are held with TWO straps - one over each shoulder - like a rucksack in reverse . 
    It's the fact that as guitarists we take the weight on just one side that throws so many backs out of whack.

And before we get into a "man the fuck up", "grow a pair", "what kind of big poof are you" style discussion, some people can't have a 11lb Les Paul on their shoulder for any length of time (or don't wish to) . 
    Some of us may have actually been told to either give up playing or find a lighter guitar if we want to be free of back pain.

But I agree that piano accordians can be pretty heavy.....myself I'm not keen on their sound 

Gruv gear make a dual strap. I was given the single strap version as a present recently and it’s very good.

https://gruvgear.com/products/duostrap-neo