Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For those preoccupied with the weight of guitars...

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Brize said:
    We really are a bunch of pussies!
    Maybe get a blister on your little finger
    Maybe get a blister on your thumb
     ;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Someone is always moaning about something on here...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    skunkwerx said:
    Am trying to imagine it lol.. 

Currently my barbell is set up with 30lbs for my bicep exercises and thats enough for muscle failure by rep 10... 

I don't think that'd be too comfy slung over my shoulder for very long! 

Dude, do you even lift bro?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My Les Paul hurts my neck and shoulder, it doesn't matter if I pretend it doesn't. 

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Someone is always moaning about something on here...
    Which is a moan in itself...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Brize said:

Completely agree about the 11lbs Les Paul thing - it's more the fussing about half a pound here or there, like the guy who wanted to buy my Strat until he found out that it weighed 7lbs 13oz. WTF?!
    3oz too light for good tone.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Brize said:

Completely agree about the 11lbs Les Paul thing - it's more the fussing about half a pound here or there, like the guy who wanted to buy my Strat until he found out that it weighed 7lbs 13oz. WTF?!
    3oz too light for good tone.

:)
    Quite. He wanted one no heavier than 7.5lbs. The best-sounding Strat I've ever played is 8.5lbs and it feels like a bloody accordion on my shoulder.
  • i knew an accordian dealer but he said business is bad asnd he's really feeling the squeeze.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I borrowed a bloody big accordion from a friend many years ago. Heavy, fun to play, but I kept trapping a nipple in the squeezy bit!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    When I was last playing in pipe bands, so fairly modern light weight kit, the combined weight of my snare drum and carrier was over 25lb

Which after walking and playing for miles, dressed in full kilt outfit, started to feel more like 50lb

(I'm third from the right posing with my sticks under my arm for some reason)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm pretty sure both her accordion and my R8 would kill you if dropped on yer bonce from the roof of a multi storey car park. 

The point is, both instruments come with a choice of playing positions and styles, and many different strap types. I'm pretty sure buying a wide, comfy strap would make the world of difference to those this bitch and whine about a few ounces on their guitar. 

Personally I don't really care. I'm 6'6" and pretty solid. I'm also not a massive pussy. ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I borrowed a bloody big accordion from a friend many years ago. Heavy, fun to play, but I kept trapping a nipple in the squeezy bit!
    One hopes it was your own nipple? Otherwise that's an entirely different story 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I borrowed a bloody big accordion from a friend many years ago. Heavy, fun to play, but I kept trapping a nipple in the squeezy bit!
    The odd thing being that it wasn't your nipple. 
    ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    "You play the accordion - you go to jail. That's the law..."
  • Can’t let an accordion thread happen without mention of  the one and only Geraint Watkins.

Currently in ‘Slim Chance’ and due to play the Half Moon Putney  this Friday

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290

See the source image

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    edited November 2018
    OK so the accordion was heavy.  It hardly follows that people shouldn't want light guitars.

It's like saying that if a Kenyan grandmother can walk 2 miles to the well for water, there's something wrong with people who want more than one tap in the house.

Of course, if necessity dictated we'd tolerate heavier guitars. If it wasn't possible to make an electric guitar lighter than, say, 12lbs most of us would get by.

But it doesn't.  And if you notice a difference in the level of comfort between having a 7.5lb guitar and an 8lb guitar strapped on for a couple of hours, you're entitled to prefer 7.5lb guitars.  Rather than just put up with the discomfort because .. why? Because accordions are heavy?

It's also ok to have taps in your bathroom as well as your kitchen.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ It was a light-hearted observation.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was replying to this.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I used to play an 11lbs ESP Ltd in my teens and it balanced so well that I didn't feel it, but it was only when I joined a guitar forum that I realized it was above the norm.

Weight is more for comfort than tone IMO, as I've played some belters at 10lbs, as well as at 7.5lbs.

I'm not sure I'd go to 11lbs these days, unless it was that old ESP Ltd.